Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:57 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,522,262 times

Advertisements

Au contrare, Dedalus.

Please follow the link below to a study (Long Island Breast Cancer Study Project - or LIBCSP) performed by the National Cancel Institute (NCI). In particular, you may find their report to the U.S. Congress (2004) quite interesting. This study cost US tax payers more than $30 million from the period of 1993 - 2004 and still goes on today. While it does not specify the public water supply as a problem...it does recognize the "Breast Cancer Cluster" that exists on Long Island. Personally, I don't trust the water supply and drink only bottled water there when visiting my father.

Long Island Breast Cancer Study Project - National Cancer Institute (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/libcsp/page2 - broken link)

Happy [not really!] Reading!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,681,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Au contrare, Dedalus.

Please follow the link below to a study (Long Island Breast Cancer Study Project - or LIBCSP) performed by the National Cancel Institute (NCI). In particular, you may find their report to the U.S. Congress (2004) quite interesting. This study cost US tax payers more than $30 million from the period of 1993 - 2004 and still goes on today. While it does not specify the public water supply as a problem...it does recognize the "Breast Cancer Cluster" that exists on Long Island. Personally, I don't trust the water supply and drink only bottled water there when visiting my father.

Long Island Breast Cancer Study Project - National Cancer Institute (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/libcsp/page2 - broken link)

Its not the water.... its the LIPA stacks and Powerlines that you should be concerned with.

(Unless you are drinking well water)

For ground Zero Google cancer maps and Poquott.

Try this
Health & Safety in the Home, Workplace and Outdoors - New York State Department of Health

Why in Gods name anyone would buy a house in the 3 Village/Port Jeff/Mt Sinai/Miller Place area is beyond me.

C

Old 07-23-2007, 12:08 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,671,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Au contrare, Dedalus.

I looked at that. It bears real study.

What I picked up from it was:

- EMF fields were specifically ruled out as a cause
- Pesticides, like DDT, were recognized as a risk factor, but weren't found to
be present in the environment
- PAH (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) were recognized as a risk factor,
and some were found to be present in the environment
- Solvents such as "perc" and TCE weren't discussed. Those are the only
toxicants that are in the water.
- Obesity was mentioned as a risk factor.

Pesticide residues are present in higher concentrations in fatty foods, like cheese and meat, than in starchy ones, or vegetables.

PAH's most often come from charcoal broiled foods, barbecued foods, and tobacco smoke.

The cancer rate for the USA, generally, was cited in a table as roughly 137/100,000. For Nassau/Suffolk counties, it was cited as roughly 147/100,000. That's about...7% higher?

I may have easily missed something, but I don't see how the study proves your point. Or, mine either, for that matter.

-

Old 07-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Dedalus, you are right on...it proves neither point! So much money, time and effort went into this study to give us no answers at all, other than the fact that LI is indeed a hot spot. Is this just a statistical anomaly? Perhaps.

One sad note is that the Marin County (CA) area has become a more recent hot spot for breast cancer. Due to all the money spent and with no concrete answers, the NCI is very hesitant to pour that kind of money into another study such as this. It's a shame, because common links between the two areas could be explored for clues.

Rising breast cancer rate fuels environmental concerns - Your Environment - MSNBC.com

In the meantime...I'll stick with bottled water...just to err on the safe side.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:43 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,671,496 times
Default I know Marin County

Indeed...I spent many pleasant hours hiking and camping in it, when I lived out in CA.

The common thread: affluence.

Buddy, I'm a water chemist...just drink the damn tap water! It's fine. I know - I analyzed it. Want to reduce the risk of getting cancer? Eat less meat...more veggies. Don't smoke. Don't be fat.

Of course, I smoke like a fiend, and love charbroiled steak...how long I live is in the hands of whatever Gods there may be...

But, something tells me, worrtying and fretting about all that stuff, vs. just relaxing and grabbing for all the gusto in my grasp....

Time will tell, but I might just outlive all the health nuts.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,923,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Time will tell, but I might just outlive all the health nuts.
Maybe if you leave the stress of the Island behind I hope so thats worse than smoking - Then all your posts will be happy and joyful - don't respond I have read them all - thanks

Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 AM

Thanks Dedalus on the water analysis. However, I refuse to give up my favorite bottled water....Miller Lite!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,959,488 times
I've never liked Long Island water. When I went away to school in Maine and drank the clean water there, as soon as I came back on breaks to drink LI water, I got stomach viruses. It happened everytime I came home and didn't know what it was. Then someone suggested maybe it's the tap water I drink. I tried not drinking it once coming back from school, and I was fine.

I really can't stand the water on Long Island. When I move back, I still won't drink it. I think once your system is no longer used to it, it will take a long time or never get used to it again.

I'm fine with NYC water though, but it's totally different since it comes from upstate. It's nice being able to drink tap again, lol. When I'm at people's houses on Long Island, I feel weird saying I'll get sick from the tap water.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Sorry for getting so off-topic with the water thing. Let's get back to the original posting:

PRO: Great soil for planting
CON: Too much litter.

PRO: Sewers
CON:Taxes to pay for them.

PRO: Garbage removal
CON: Taxes to pay for them.

PRO: Great libraries

PRO: Good schools

PRO: Suffolk County Police Department
CON: Taxes to pay for them (note: highest paid in the nation)

PRO: Predominantly Catholic neighborhoods
CON: Keep your kids away from Priests!

Old 07-24-2007, 06:23 PM

29 posts, read 103,402 times
PRO: Beautiful beaches
CON: who has time to go

PRO: So Close to Manhattan
CON: Who has time to go

PRO: Great schools
CON: Our taxes go up hundreds of $$$ every year to pay for them

PRO: Nice neighborhoods
CON: we pay way too much $$ for 1/4 acre or less lots with a 50 yr old house on it that needs to be totally renovated

PRO: A lot of things to do on the weekends.
CON: Who could get anywhere with the traffic and crowds of people

PRO:Good salaries
CON: You need everything you make to pay your bills here. Alot of people live pay check to pay check

PRO:Some of the greatest doctors and hospitals
CON: A lot of them are leaving due to paying the highest insurance premiums beause they practive on LI

PRO: Great bagels ,pizza, delis and bakeries
CON: none
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island