Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:30 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well, you explain you position well, but I don't share your paranoia about the government.
And so said Sitting Bull to Geronimo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM

330 posts, read 726,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well, you explain you position well, but I don't share your paranoia about the government. The biggest danger to our freedom is stupid, uneducated, easily manipulated people who will do the work of anyone with sinister intentions inside or on the fringes of politics.
This is very true, those people are indeed a danger. However, if a clever person in a position of power were to rally these people and convince them to support totalitarian measure in the name of security, freedom or whatever, how would we stop them? Hitler did it quite well, he convinced a whole nation to embrace an insane ideology, and what happened to the unarmed victims? This is not paranoia, it is an understanding of history and to ignore history or think it can't possibly happen here is quite foolish. I am not implying this will happen soon, just that the possibility exists at all times, and if we are unarmed we have no hope.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
This is very true, those people are indeed a danger. However, if a clever person in a position of power were to rally these people and convince them to support totalitarian measure in the name of security, freedom or whatever, how would we stop them? Hitler did it quite well, he convinced a whole nation to embrace an insane ideology, and what happened to the unarmed victims? This is not paranoia, it is an understanding of history and to ignore history or think it can't possibly happen here is quite foolish. I am not implying this will happen soon, just that the possibility exists at all times, and if we are unarmed we have no hope.
Yeah, whatever, I give in, you're right, just stop asking me to read so much.

As stated before, I don't oppose gun ownership, but I do support reasonable restrictions.

I'm willing to take the risk that in 40 years, the next wannabe Glenn Beck is now Hitler wanting to institute Christian Fundamentalism as the law of the land, and that we, who aren't moonbat nuts, won't be able to stop them because we don't have 30 round clips.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
You forgot something when it comes to Hitler.

One of the first things he did when he came to power was to OUTLAW gun ownership for private citizens.

He knew what he was doing!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Default Question for Proponents of High Capacity Magazines

How would you explain the need for them NOT to be made illegal in the USA to a person whose family member was killed by ammunition round 11-30 which was fired by a mass shooter? What would you say to one of those people if they came up to talk to you at a political rally where you were holding up a sign supporting high capacity magazines?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You forgot something when it comes to Hitler.

One of the first things he did when he came to power was to OUTLAW gun ownership for private citizens.

He knew what he was doing!

Since that simply won't work here in the US it's being done incrementally over a few generations.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
How would you explain the need for them NOT to be made illegal in the USA to a person whose family member was killed by ammunition round 11-30 which was fired by a mass shooter? What would you say to one of those people if they came up to talk to you at a political rally where you were holding up a sign supporting high capacity magazines?
That's an irrelevant question. You can't confront emotion with reason. It won't work. Should we base our laws on emotion or reason?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 PM

371 posts, read 938,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Amazing how the anti-gun crowd talks like typical nanny-staters while pro-gun crowd has facts.
Neither side will budge on this either...I'm pro freedom myself...

Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
Neither side will budge on this either...I'm pro freedom myself...
Me too. It can be a problem exercising freedom though when you have to worry about being shot all the time.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
I don't think you try to explain to them why they shouldn't be illegal. How do we explain that cigarettes are still legal or that booze isn't outlawed after their kid has been killed by a drunk driver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island