Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The point has already been made several times that public sector jobs only pay more for low-skill positions. Anyone with an education will make more in the private sector. The BLS data that you keep citing has been thoroughly debunked since it did not take that huge factor into account. Not sure how many ways that point can be made. In fact, I already linked the USA Today article you just posted (further proof that you haven't bothered to read anything I've written) and highlighted the problems with the BLS data cited in that very article.
NOTHING is debunked. The BLS data is what it is. If you want to claim that it's not taking education into account, then you have to examine several other variables. Days/Hours worked in the year, holidays off, difficulty in obtaining these higher degrees for public vs private sector, ie-School Admin vs Doctor?? what about all of these variables?

The fact that unions attract lower quality employees(yes even with degrees) and lose higher skilled workers is the fault of the union system itself. A decline in the value of merit (remember worth your salt?). In many union settings, workers can't advance much or at all on their merits, but must generally progress within the limits defined by union contracts. Employers may have trouble weeding out incompetent employees if they belong to unions. In theory, at least, unionized workers might become so comfortable and protected that they lose the incentive to work hard for their employer or go that extra mile. And outstanding employees might lose their get-up-and-go if there's no incentive to excel -- or worse, if they're pressured by the union to not go the extra mile.

Get over it already, unions have crushed many regions/cities. Highly unionized cities:
Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Toledo, St Louis, Chicago, Baltimore, Camden, Oakland, Trenton, etc..I'm sure I'm leaving plenty out. But do you know what these union dominated cities/regions have in common? They lead the US in population loss and are on the top of the most dangerous places to live in the country. Coincidence?
Camden is so burdened from pensions and past union exploitation that they can't even run an adequate police force anymore. They have Guardian Angel volunteers on the streets and a mix of citizen watch groups to go with the skimpy police force.
I've posted this video before and I'm sure you've seen it, but check out "Detroit in ruins" to get an idea of the mess unions are creating.

“I have a special word for my fellow Democrats: one cannot both be a progressive and be
opposed to pension reform. The math is irrefutable that the losers from excessive and unfunded
pensions are precisely the programs progressive Democrats tend to applaud.”

- David Crane, California pension advisor; CalSTRS board member

http://online.wsj.com/video/opinion-...39D8AF040.html

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-30-2011 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:19 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
I was going to post a more detailed response but I'm really not sure how to respond to someone who thinks that Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Toledo, St Louis, Chicago, Baltimore, Camden, Oakland, and Trenton (and others!) were all brought down by unions. See you in another thread, I'm done here.

"These are the values inspiring those brave workers in Poland ... They remind us that where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost."

Ronald Reagan, Labor Day 1980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orwN4WKhriw

Last edited by Interlude; 03-30-2011 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: I have a quote and a video for you too!

Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
To get back to the Mangano NIFA angle of this thread for a minute. Mangano has dropped the suit against NIFA.

Quote:
Nassau's legal fight against NIFA is over.

At County Executive Edward Mangano's direction, County Attorney John Ciampoli said Tuesday that Nassau will not pursue its lawsuit against the state oversight agency's takeover of the county's finances.

Ciampoli said the county hopes to work together with the Nassau Interim Finance Authority "to correct the errors of the past and to meet the challenges ahead."

The six-member NIFA board voted in January to impose financial controls after determining the county's 2011 budget had a $176 million deficit. Mangano maintained that his $2.6 billion budget was balanced, and filed suit to block the takeover.

Supreme Court Justice Arthur Diamond earlier this month dismissed the county's claims that the takeover was unconstitutional and that NIFA's authority to impose financial controls had expired. He allowed the takeover, which had been put on hold, to continue.
politics item

Old 03-31-2011, 05:12 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
To get back to the Mangano NIFA angle of this thread for a minute. Mangano has dropped the suit against NIFA.

politics item

Mangano indicated the budget was balanced yet as soon as he dropped the lawsuit he asked for a wage freeze. Rivkin Radler is an outside law firm?

Long Island Business News » NIFA freezes wages for all Nassau workers

Just wait until next years budget if you think this was bad, more to come.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
I was going to post a more detailed response but I'm really not sure how to respond to someone who thinks that Detroit, Cleveland, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Toledo, St Louis, Chicago, Baltimore, Camden, Oakland, and Trenton (and others!) were all brought down by unions. See you in another thread, I'm done here.
Okay, good game, better luck next time.

Also, do a little research on the failure of these major cities and you will find most share a few common characteristics: big govt presence, progressive liberal dominated leadership and heavily unionized (both public & private).
The UAW, among other reasons, is one example of a major cause for some of these cities failing.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 AM

No mention of NIFA?

Long Island Business News » Mangano details issues facing Nassau County

Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
CA is in a huge mess because of their Proposition 13, which has frozen property tax rates since their 1975 assessed values. They simply cannot raise taxes significantly and therefore have no other options but to borrow or cut services.The largest expense of any employer is their employees, yes. Private corporations are no different.
Sorry, but this is not how Prop 13 works.

First, Prop 13 is based on acquisition value and only sets the States portion at 1% with a 2% per year increase limit. So if you bought last year, it is last years value that is used.

Second, the voters can and do approve additional assessments. My rate is over 1.5% with all of the approved assessments factored in.

In order to have a 1975 assessment would mean you have owned the property for 36 years without making improvements or additions AND you would also have to add the yearly 2% inflation factor.

Prop 13 is the one saving grace property owning taxpayers have in California... don't forget we also have just about every other tax to also... Income, Sales, Utility, etc.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM

I find it hard to believe that Mangano is continuing the Nassau County Land Sale, once again kicking the problem down the road, as if the Mitchel Field leases weren't bad enough already, hopefully NIFA can intervene. This reminds me of the 166 Acres in Bethpage that Gulotta sold to Charles Wang during his last year to balance his budget. More than a coincidence that those 2 had the inside track on nassau Colliseum development.

"In other business, GOP lawmakers approved the sale of 30 years of rent from 18 Mitchel Field leases to RXR Mitchel Field Investor, a company headed by developer Scott Rechler. RXR will make a one-time payment of $37.5 million in return to the rights for more than $108 million in rent.
Legis. Wayne Wink (D-Roslyn) said Rechler companies hold four of the 18 leases. The rent owed on those four leases alone over 30 years would be $54 million, Wink said. "This seems to me to be a deal of the century for [Rechler's company]," Wink said. "I am astounded by this.""

Nassau GOP rejects hearings on police plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island