Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Carver he wrote a piece in Newsday that shows how completely out to touch he is not that he didn't make some valid points.

"We reached an agreement that gave the county real savings in both 2009 and 2010, as well as long-term savings beyond. We agreed to civilianize some positions and eliminate others, resulting in nearly $30 million in savings each year. In return, the PBA agreed to a contract extension -- although one that kept the starting salary the same, providing additional long-term savings."

Yes they agreed to allow the county to hire secretaries instead of having police officers perform administrative functions, how nice of them.

Don't cut Nassau cop ranks more (The Nassau County PBA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The jail had problems for years and he is going to increase capacity. Maybe the mold is an incentive for good behaviorand early realease. I don't want to have to pay for an inmate health plan because of jail conditions.
No one is increasing anything. What would happen is a re-opening of tiers that were previously shut down.

Should Nassau take in Suffolk's skids? Well, hey, as much as I'd consider it poetic justice to boot 'em across the border into Queens Jr., from whence many of them came, I think if Nassau opens up space, it should be for its current resident loons and slimeballs.

Never mind about paying for inmate health plans. They do their time and either go home or get shipped up to a prison. The primary concern should be the health of the staff, who are exposed to those conditions for a heck of a lot longer, like, say, 25 years. Some among the citizenry like to whine and complain about the "benefits" of having a nice chunk of sick leave. It doesn't occur to them that people actually use it because of the crap they catch at work. There's a reason jail workers--and inmates--get vaccinated for things like swine flu. Jail is a regular petri dish of contagion. Close quarters, confinement, a little bit of mutation, and a few germs carried home, and the next thing you know, you have a public health crisis.

But, you know, it's the COs' fault.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I agree with that on the 75 cents in benefits, so that means the first bar on that chart, the public employees are only making $26.5k a year before benefits are factored? I really have a hard time believing this.

Like I posted in reply to goodnight, that 1st bar data set states public workers w a HS diploma only make $46k after benefits. Which equals about $26.5k before benefits?? I don't believe that, how is that possible? And if that is the case, it goes to show you how well-off the public sector is on LI..NCPD and other Nassau County union workers are making almost 4x to 8x that on average. It's not that much more expensive to live here than WI.
That would be wrong then if these minimum wage workers are the ones getting hit because of the deficit. I don't agree with excluding any group from concessions/givebacks. Something still doesn't seem right - there are plenty of taxes in the system, businesses are paying their fair share, so I still don't get what caused this massive deficit. Maybe covering up losses in the WI pension fund?

The benefits might not be as strong for the lower level jobs without a hs diploma. Regardless, across every single education level, the private sector makes more.

As far as the deficit, well many states are having similar issues. Part of it comes from state revenues being down as a result of the recession and unemployment. In Nassau County we had sales tax revenues plummet in 2008 and 2009, nationwide federal income tax revenues sharply declined as a result of the recession. Its the same thing in Wisconsin and across many other states.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:01 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
....According to the conference summary, "in low-skill jobs, public sector wages exceed private sector wages, but in high-skill jobs, public sector wages significantly lag private sector wages (benefits are not in this analysis). This is what some academics call the 'double imbalance'...the public sector is overpaying low-skill workers while underpaying high-skill workers." He also showed that when gender, race, education, union membership, age, occupation, and state of residence are *not* controlled for, "public sector employees appear to receive an 18.6% wage premium over private sector employees..." But in controlling for those factors, "public sector workers have a 4.5% wage discount as compared with private sector workers." ....

...which is why the public sector is continuously losing highly-skilled employees to the private sector...
Couple things:
"Benefits are not included in this analysis" - did you read that line?
Well, include them and we come right back to the BLS data showing public sector employees make 44% more in total compensation than private sector employees.

All politics is local- You're allover the place in this post, did you write this yourself? It is well known, and I have stated this before, if a worker is worth his/her salt, they don't need a union backing them up. Of course the public sector will attract lower skilled employees and lose the higher skilled ones.. this is because in the free-market, private businesses need to operate at a profit and they need the highest skilled employees. It's no surprise that the govt is run inefficiently, that's basically what the paper is saying (ie, overpaying lower skilled positions, while losing higher skilled workers to the private sector).

You need to put these pieces into your own words and relate this to the local politics at hand.. How does this apply to Nassau County, LI and NYS?

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-26-2011 at 03:12 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 AM

66 posts, read 77,834 times
Quote:
I truly would not want to see someone in your position get hurt by this but there is a wide disparity in the county and the towns are far and away the worst (administrative assistant trainee at TOH $45K). There are unions and there are unions and I don't think your position is what people take issue with but rather the higher salaried positions.
Well then freeze the salaries of those making over $75,000. And let's face it, most of the big $ and abuse is in ordinance positions, not unions. They answer to no one.

You need a Bachelor's Degree or 4 years supervisory experience for that administrative assistant trainee position. I don't think a starting salary of $45,000 is out of line for a college graduate. I just read an article the other day where a firm couldn't fill entry level positions at $50,000 a year because the cost of living is so high on Long Island. I honestly don't know what the answer to this mess is.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
No one is increasing anything. What would happen is a re-opening of tiers that were previously shut down.

Should Nassau take in Suffolk's skids? Well, hey, as much as I'd consider it poetic justice to boot 'em across the border into Queens Jr., from whence many of them came, I think if Nassau opens up space, it should be for its current resident loons and slimeballs.

Never mind about paying for inmate health plans. They do their time and either go home or get shipped up to a prison. The primary concern should be the health of the staff, who are exposed to those conditions for a heck of a lot longer, like, say, 25 years. Some among the citizenry like to whine and complain about the "benefits" of having a nice chunk of sick leave. It doesn't occur to them that people actually use it because of the crap they catch at work. There's a reason jail workers--and inmates--get vaccinated for things like swine flu. Jail is a regular petri dish of contagion. Close quarters, confinement, a little bit of mutation, and a few germs carried home, and the next thing you know, you have a public health crisis.

But, you know, it's the COs' fault.
The point is that they have ignored the probelms in the jail for years yet they put an item in the budget to increase capacity? I heard the manager of the jail used to be the cook, seems like they could have maybe put somone in their with some correction management background? There are questionable items like this all over his budget.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingthru View Post
Well then freeze the salaries of those making over $75,000. And let's face it, most of the big $ and abuse is in ordinance positions, not unions. They answer to no one.

You need a Bachelor's Degree or 4 years supervisory experience for that administrative assistant trainee position. I don't think a starting salary of $45,000 is out of line for a college graduate. I just read an article the other day where a firm couldn't fill entry level positions at $50,000 a year because the cost of living is so high on Long Island. I honestly don't know what the answer to this mess is.
Why would you need a bachelors degree for an admistrative assistant position? I don't believe college grads are getting starting salaries at $45K, I am sure there are some but they are lucky to even get a job. The world has really changed and a degree does not guarantee employment.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Why would you need a bachelors degree for an admistrative assistant position? I don't believe college grads are getting starting salaries at $45K, I am sure there are some but they are lucky to even get a job. The world has really changed and a degree does not guarantee employment.
You're right, starting salaries range from 25K (that is not a misprint!) all the way to 85K - it really depends what skills you bring to the job on day 1. If the employer needs to spend excessive time training you or otherwise coddling you, forget it - there are plenty of unemployed, experienced people available.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 AM

66 posts, read 77,834 times
Quote:
First of all, it's Administrative Trainee that starts at $45,000. An Administrative Assistant starts at $51,924 What do you think this job entails? I'm curious, because when I read the job description it sounds pretty involved. What do you think a fair starting salary should be for 4 years' experience?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Yet it seems that for more and more previously "no college required" jobs, the lack of a degree guarantees one thing: your resume will go into the circular file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island