Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM

324 posts, read 335,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I don't even know where to begin with this hot mess

If you believe that the Police officer's are overpaid ....then you have to believe your wife is overpaid

Everything is inflated on L.I. form the salaries to taxes to the homes, etc

I have absolutely no problem with you or anyone agreeing with me or not.

School on L.I. are very good but they do come at a premium. I say the schools are just as good if not better by me for 1/10 the cost but again that's my opinion. Not an AGENDA. You may agree or you may not...that's your right.

I find that people that complain all the time are not happy....My father use to say " Don't complain...live your life."

And P.S. don't lump me up with anyone including L/E.....I'm unique with my own views
No you're not, you parrot the same tired lines the rest of them do. At least dman, despite his wife being a teacher, is able to view the situation clearly. His opinion is respected much more given that fact. You should take notes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I dont understand what you're saying...why do you need a 500k home? These houses in other states for 250-300k come with jobs that pay 40-50k. Do the math..its all the same at the end of the equation.
Where did you come up with your numbers? My wife does relocation for her company and when she's run comparisons it's not at all the same at the end of the equation. CA, NYC, NJ and Long Island are way more expensive than other parts of the lower 48 and the salaries aren't high enough to justify the taxes and housing costs.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
No you're not, you parrot the same tired lines the rest of them do. At least dman, despite his wife being a teacher, is able to view the situation clearly. His opinion is respected much more given that fact. You should take notes

Who are the rest of them I stick up for the teachers more than the cops

Everyone says the teachers only work 8 months a year and make over 100k. Plus they cost almost 8 x's more on your tax bill then the police.

Dman sides with the teachers because his wife is one and knows she's a hard worker( and what she has to go through) like 98% of the teachers.

I still stand by my quote " everything is inflated on the Island" including salaries, taxes and home prices.

I had no idea is wife was a teacher. ...not that it matters anyway. But I don't like what he said...teachers aren't overpaid but the cops are...that part doesn't make sense to me. I think they both are paid according to where they live and work 100k would not be justified where I live but on L.I. it would be

Old 05-25-2011, 03:44 PM

324 posts, read 335,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Who are the rest of them I stick up for the teachers more than the cops

Everyone says the teachers only work 9 months a year and make over 100k. Plus they are cost almost 8 x's more on your tax bill more than the police.

Dman sides with the teachers because his wife is one and knows she's a hard worker( and what she has to go through) like 98% of the teachers.

I still stand by my quote " everything is inflated on the Island" including salaries, taxes and home prices.

I had no idea is wife was a teacher. ...not that it matters anyway. But I don't like what he said...teachers aren't overpaid but the cops are...that part doesn't make sense to me. I think they both are paid according to where they live and work 100k would not be justified where I live but on L.I. it is
Dman said teachers are overpaid... What are you reading??

Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
... Says the person who can't afford to buy here.

Long Island is worth it if you value family life, education for your children, and access to just about everything. Over the course of 30 years buying is a much better route to take than renting. But if you can't afford to buy, then I guess it's easier to say LI isn't worth it than admit the reality.
Huh? I live here, its definitely not a good buy by any stretch of the imagination. 4x more for a home after 30 years, plus 2-3 times more in taxes, plus high costs for utilities.

Stop blatantly defending the island.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:51 PM

426 posts, read 959,857 times
What has me staying here? Most of the reasons that other people are staying here.....all of my family and friends are here, my serious gf is here, and I have a decent job here. That still doesn't mean I have enough money or leftover salary at the end of the month to afford a 50 or 100K 20% down payment on a house!...after rent, credit card bills,cell phone, utilities, there is not much leftover to bank...

However, since the houses are cheaper down south and out west, you need much less of a down payment and only need to save a fraction of what you would have to save here (maybe only 20 or 30K as opposed to double or triple that for LI)

AND most of the houses down there are new, or are in developments that were never finished due to the housing crisis that is why you can get great deals....they are practically giving them away...

PLUS, I do not need a 400-500K house......BUT I do not want to buy a 350K "fixer upper" and have to sink another 100K into the house because that would equal 450K anyway...would rather get something newer and nicer for 450K than to sink the money into a 350K money pit that needs major work.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Yeah, but you're obviously one of those people like me who doesn't value family life, education for your children, and access to just about everything.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM

61 posts, read 228,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
With what has gone on with the real estate market the past 3 years or so, how can housing prices on LI still be so inflated?...

For the money, and the property you get, plus the insanely high property taxes, for a decent house you are still paying about 400K....

Meanwhile, in most other states you can get a brand new house, everything included, low property taxes, a half acre of land, for about almost half the price (200-250K)....

Every time I read the newspaper or hear about how "depressed" and deflated the housing market still is, and how it has not bounced back like the stock market has, I guess they are not talking about LI.

Can someone explain why housing prices are still so high here? Especially in Nassau?
A regular, plain vanilla ranch will run you 500K in parts of Nassau......

Ridiculous. And they wonder why all the 20 and 30 somethings are leaving for cheaper states and more affordable housing.
This analogy ALWAYS looks great on paper. Some thoughts to ponder or pitch:

Take a real hard look at those new, 2500 square foot "state of the art" houses that are being built (slapped together) in record time. Nothing like heating 2500 square feet with todays oil prices, is there...or wait, maybe your house will be equipped with a heat pump (read up on those too). And how about that 25 foot vaulted ceiling in the great room, heated with forced air. The compressed board construction. Bulk materials bought on the cheap (Chinese sheetrock anyone?). Next, ask yourself how much you think you can adapt to the new environment. Imagine having to drive 10 miles for a gallon of milk. Look on in amazement as you realize you have more teeth in your mouth than the 5 people in the local gin mill combined. Call the cops and clean your house while you wait, maybe the burglar will help you. And, how's the economy in this redneck utopia? Can you get a job anywhere besides a rock quarry, lumber mill or quick mart, without driving 200 miles on a dirt road? Even if you could, do you really think you would like to live like that? If so, then maybe it is time to leave. Life here in NY is expensive but worth it. Tax schmax, you pay it everywhere in the US. I for one, have never been one to shop for things by the price tag. If you want something, screw the price, you only live once. Make it happen Cap'n.

There's plenty of good jobs here, good schools, and anyone can find whatever it is they like to do within short driving distance. Sadly, much of my audience here consists of people who have more fun bitching about life than living it. Hence the thread.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy2011 View Post
This analogy ALWAYS looks great on paper. Some thoughts to ponder or pitch:

Take a real hard look at those new, 2500 square foot "state of the art" houses that are being built (slapped together) in record time. Nothing like heating 2500 square feet with todays oil prices, is there...or wait, maybe your house will be equipped with a heat pump (read up on those too). And how about that 25 foot vaulted ceiling in the great room, heated with forced air. The compressed board construction. Bulk materials bought on the cheap (Chinese sheetrock anyone?). Next, ask yourself how much you think you can adapt to the new environment. Imagine having to drive 10 miles for a gallon of milk. Look on in amazement as you realize you have more teeth in your mouth than the 5 people in the local gin mill combined. Call the cops and clean your house while you wait, maybe the burglar will help you. And, how's the economy in this redneck utopia? Can you get a job anywhere besides a rock quarry, lumber mill or quick mart, without driving 200 miles on a dirt road? Even if you could, do you really think you would like to live like that? If so, then maybe it is time to leave. Life here in NY is expensive but worth it. Tax schmax, you pay it everywhere in the US. I for one, have never been one to shop for things by the price tag. If you want something, screw the price, you only live once. Make it happen Cap'n.

There's plenty of good jobs here, good schools, and anyone can find whatever it is they like to do within short driving distance. Sadly, much of my audience here consists of people who have more fun bitching about life than living it. Hence the thread.
Your knowledge of life in other metros is only surpassed by your advice related to finance and budgeting. Wow. lol

Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy2011 View Post
Imagine having to drive 10 miles for a gallon of milk.
Where is this place ???
I moved here from the burb of a major metro, and what you said were my exact thoughts about long island (suffolk actually) when I got here... the irony that is.
I was used to 24/7 open stores/grocery/gyms and far better access to malls and restaurants near my house, but then I got used to the much better high life on Long Island. jeez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island