Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Your knowledge of life in other metros is only surpassed by your advice related to finance and budgeting. Wow. lol
There is no other metro area, don't you know that

Imagine my surprise when I went out for milk last night and the nearest grocery store was less than a mile from my house! EUREKA!!! I was out and back in less than 10 minutes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
As much as I'd like bigger property, lower property taxes, fewer gun laws, and less traffic, the thought of living among a bunch of bible-thumpers who vote for Patrick McHenry and wouldn't know a good slice of pizza if it appeared to them while sucking on a NASCAR tailpipe keeps me voting "yes" to LI school budgets.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Imagine my surprise when I went out for milk last night and the nearest grocery store was less than a mile from my house! EUREKA!!! I was out and back in less than 10 minutes!
There's a Lowe's supermarket within walking distance of my house too. Also, a Walgreen's, McDonald's, Jersey Mike's, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, and a pizza place too. So I don't understand the statement about having to drive 10 miles for a gallon of milk if you don't live in NY.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 PM

752 posts, read 1,463,098 times
Two reasons,
1) near one of the two biggest most productive cities in the country = work.
If you think prices are high here check small apartments in manhatten.

2) People paid too much already.
Most of the homeowners on the island bought at the height of the market or long before.
Most of them owe more on they're houses than they are worth at this point.
Most of them can afford to "wait it out"
I believe your right though, most of the young people are leaving in droves. The housing costs are too high and the taxes are outright insane.
The young generation of skilled labor is also leaving.
Soon it will be the upper middle class and the rich and they're illegal subservient work force...
just the way they want it.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:01 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
As much as I'd like bigger property, lower property taxes, fewer gun laws, and less traffic, the thought of living among a bunch of bible-thumpers who vote for Patrick McHenry and wouldn't know a good slice of pizza if it appeared to them while sucking on a NASCAR tailpipe keeps me voting "yes" to LI school budgets.
How deliciously biased of you today.

Bible thumpers - Yuppie/NIMBY crowd
Pat McHenry - Cynthia McCarthy
Pizza - BBQ
NASCAR - Mall?

We have the same stuff.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
Two reasons,
1) near one of the two biggest most productive cities in the country = work.
If you think prices are high here check small apartments in manhatten.

2) People paid too much already.
Most of the homeowners on the island bought at the height of the market or long before.
Most of them owe more on they're houses than they are worth at this point.
Most of them can afford to "wait it out"
I believe your right though, most of the young people are leaving in droves. The housing costs are too high and the taxes are outright insane.
The young generation of skilled labor is also leaving.
Soon it will be the upper middle class and the rich and they're illegal subservient work force...
just the way they want it.
This upper middle class portion will become the poor or lower middle class b/c the illegal subservient population do not pay taxes and the upper middle class will be fitting the bill.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Dman said teachers are overpaid... What are you reading??
These guys have some kind of block..it must be in those ridiculous sunglasses they wear that they think make them look like The Terminator....instead of making the world turn red it makes the world turn "blue".

Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy2011 View Post
This analogy ALWAYS looks great on paper. Some thoughts to ponder or pitch:

Take a real hard look at those new, 2500 square foot "state of the art" houses that are being built (slapped together) in record time. Nothing like heating 2500 square feet with todays oil prices, is there...or wait, maybe your house will be equipped with a heat pump (read up on those too). And how about that 25 foot vaulted ceiling in the great room, heated with forced air. The compressed board construction. Bulk materials bought on the cheap (Chinese sheetrock anyone?). Next, ask yourself how much you think you can adapt to the new environment. Imagine having to drive 10 miles for a gallon of milk. Look on in amazement as you realize you have more teeth in your mouth than the 5 people in the local gin mill combined. Call the cops and clean your house while you wait, maybe the burglar will help you. And, how's the economy in this redneck utopia? Can you get a job anywhere besides a rock quarry, lumber mill or quick mart, without driving 200 miles on a dirt road? Even if you could, do you really think you would like to live like that? If so, then maybe it is time to leave. Life here in NY is expensive but worth it. Tax schmax, you pay it everywhere in the US. I for one, have never been one to shop for things by the price tag. If you want something, screw the price, you only live once. Make it happen Cap'n.

There's plenty of good jobs here, good schools, and anyone can find whatever it is they like to do within short driving distance. Sadly, much of my audience here consists of people who have more fun bitching about life than living it. Hence the thread.

Most of what you say is completely absurd except for the sketchy quality of newer houses. I wonder what kind of problems you're going to see down the road with these.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There is no other metro area, don't you know that

Come on - we know you rode your neighbor's cow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You can be a part time Catholic in NC just the same as LI - just went to a first communion last week. As for NC-10 Patrick McHenry... I can assure you the folks in Mooresville wouldn't be voting for that, however you should take a look at the size of the district and its borders. That's not the Charlotte metro. Mooresville is "Race City, USA" yet it's not full on NASCAR like you'd think - it's more about the lake. I have family living there (LI transplants themselves) and they love it - me? I didn't like it there at all.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:30 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,346,503 times
How do other areas within 75 miles or so from NYC compare to LI?
Is Westchester/Yonkers/etc cheaper than LI?
Jersey?
Is LI supposed to be more affordable than these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island