Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Dont you folks see that you are arguing with about 6 former Long Islanders that no longer live here?

Something tells me they wish they were still here. What other reason would they becoming to the LI board to talk down on it. You moved away and got what you wanted. Great.
No way do I ever wish I was still living in NY! The reason why I (and I think why many of us ex-New Yorkers) come to this board is simple - it's fun and reinforces our decision to move away on a daily basis. It's basically the same reason I still go on the Newsday website. I get a kick out of reading about the never-ending LIRR delays/problems and chuckle when I look at the pix of sardine-packed platforms!!! Wish I was back? - absolutely not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
Plum Island Resort is one of the reasons LI home prices remain inflated. Its just a skip and a hop away from this very popular destination.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post
Houses are more expensive here because a tornado won't come along and wipe it out..plus we are on an island..how luxurious is that!. I'm staying put even though i might have to live in coram and drive an hour to work. Our parents have to help us raise our future kids. even out of state day care would be unaffordable.
Well someone's drank a healthy dose of the kool-aid.

And what's so luxurious about an island exactly? It used to take me anywhere up to two hours to get from Long Island onto the mainland of New Jersey (and on a few occasions it even took over three). Is there anything worse than having to suffer through such horrific travel conditions just to get into Jersey?

Stay on Long Island if you want to but at least be honest about what that actually means.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Get a life pal. It wasnt my comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Great comeback after your 10 miles for a milk run comment.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Well someone's drank a healthy dose of the kool-aid.

And what's so luxurious about an island exactly? It used to take me anywhere up to two hours to get from Long Island onto the mainland of New Jersey (and on a few occasions it even took over three). Is there anything worse than having to suffer through such horrific travel conditions just to get into Jersey?

Stay on Long Island if you want to but at least be honest about what that actually means.
I lived on Long Island for 11 years. It's nice but 'luxurious'?!!! Oh please, give me a break. Unless you can afford to buy Billy Joel's house out in the Hamptons, I hardly think the word 'luxurious' would come to mind for the majority of people living on Long Island. And don't even get me started on the hellish ride to New Jersey from Long Island. OMG, the Belt Parkway (or whatever it's now called) is another thing I definitely don't miss about NY!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Late model construction is quite good. The garbage was built in the 1980's.
It amazes me when people from LI call other areas "cookie cutter developed" like they can't look around and see entire neighborhoods of the same little box ranch, or blocks upon blocks of the same hi-ranch, etc etc... Not even talking about Levitt.

The suburban homes were sold to folks they bussed in from the city on weekends, using poor quality materials, horribly maintained building code, and inefficient on so many levels. The best part is that they've now gone through 30+ years of weekend warrior "renovations" without permits or qualified trades. Open a few walls and see for yourself.

That is the benchmark for what people will live in when pointing at other metros and calling out poor building practices... It's rather comical.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Dont you folks see that you are arguing with about 6 former Long Islanders that no longer live here?

Something tells me they wish they were still here. What other reason would they becoming to the LI board to talk down on it. You moved away and got what you wanted. Great.

/Thread
I come on here to keep up with the doings of LI, to see what people are talking about. Occasionally I offer my thoughts on the subject at hand. It's not arguing to point out when someone is wrong because they pull out the big ol' paint brush to use broad strokes to generalize about life on the other side of the Varrazano. Nor is it to address the comments that berate someone who left or who has the audacity to even ask a question about life elsewhere, or as in this thread, why something is the way it is on LI.

Having lived on LI and left, I feel that I and others who have done the same can actually give assistance with informed opinions on these questions since we've actually done it, instead of the getting the same old nonsense about driving 10 miles to get a gallon of milk - up hill both ways - from someone who has not. I generally don't see the “6 former Long Islanders that no longer live there†talking it down. Some people like to help. Sorry.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
As much as I'd like bigger property, lower property taxes, fewer gun laws, and less traffic, the thought of living among a bunch of bible-thumpers who vote for Patrick McHenry and wouldn't know a good slice of pizza if it appeared to them while sucking on a NASCAR tailpipe keeps me voting "yes" to LI school budgets.
Y'all got me thar!

I knew more bible thumpers while living on the vaunted North Shore of Long Island than I do in North Carolina. Granted there's way more houses of worship but that might also help explain why people are better mannered and less aggressive (maybe, not sure about that though). I don't know who McHenry is so I can't help you there but I do know pizza. On that front I can tell you that the places I frequent are literally all owned and operated by proprietors who used to slice 'em up in New York but relocated down to Raleigh over the past few years. Actually, my favorite pizza place on Long Island (Anna's) opened a store in Apex two years ago ten miles from my house. It's the same exact menu, same awesome quality, same decor and even some of the same people. So unless you subscribe to the "the water makes all the difference" logic I'm eating the same exact pizza now as I did before moving.

And as for NASCAR, I know two families that are fans. I know my former neighbor in East Northport loved the sport and that neighbors of mine down the street in Northport also were big fans so I think that's mostly a wash.

As far as whatever it takes for you to blindly vote "yes" to the school budget I applaud you for doing so. Without ripping apart the entire system there's really no viable alternative that doesn't punish the children at this stage of the game so why bother resisting?

Y'know, I loved living on Long Island and still miss it. But the entire time I was there I never operated under any illusions. And I never denigrated other parts of the country as a way of reinforcing my reasons for living there either. I sincerely don't accept the popular reasons why people stay (obviously, I moved) but completely respect that they want to. There's no right or wrong, just what works for the individual.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Think you'll find that the main reason people stay anywhere, even places in far worse shape than LI, is due to the presence of family and friends. Most of the rest is just an excuse, although there really is no replacement for NYC, assuming that you take advantage of it.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Think you'll find that the main reason people stay anywhere, even places in far worse shape than LI, is due to the presence of family and friends. Most of the rest is just an excuse, although there really is no replacement for NYC, assuming that you take advantage of it.
Also, when you say "there is no replacement for NYC", it's a question of degree.

Some people make it seem like you are eating dog food anywhere outside of Manhattan. There are a lot of places I've been in the US, usually college towns, where food is suprisingly varied and good. The last time I was in Durham NC I ate at this diner place (could have been on "Diners, Drive In's, etc") that blew any moderately priced place on LI out of the water. I cannot find a place that makes a breakfast burrito with FRESH (not JARRED, Lazy cook) salsa anywhere on LI. Is it really that hard to do?

No, you aren't going to see Broadway plays and high falutent art shows in NC..but it's not like it's a complete cultural void when it comes to food and live music. And how many people on LI are hitting SOHO art galleries on a regular basis anyway? I think it's more about the sports teams than anything when we talk about "culture".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island