Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,823,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It amazes me when people from LI call other areas "cookie cutter developed" like they can't look around and see entire neighborhoods of the same little box ranch, or blocks upon blocks of the same hi-ranch, etc etc... Not even talking about Levitt.

The suburban homes were sold to folks they bussed in from the city on weekends, using poor quality materials, horribly maintained building code, and inefficient on so many levels. The best part is that they've now gone through 30+ years of weekend warrior "renovations" without permits or qualified trades. Open a few walls and see for yourself.

That is the benchmark for what people will live in when pointing at other metros and calling out poor building practices... It's rather comical.
This is so true. I worked in home remodeling for awhile, working on houses in Nassau, Brooklyn and Queens. Sometimes we’d find tin foil or newspaper for insulation or even no insulation, electrical junction boxes or outlets buried behind wall and in ceilings with no cover and/or exposed wires or even wires buried with no box. Crooked studs so hard that you couldn’t nail into them or so brittle they’d shatter. Single pane windows, etc… Also, on mynassauproperty.com, there is a grade assigned to the structure on the Property Description tab - Indicates the quality of construction – materials and workmanship. I don’t find too many high grades when looking up a property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No, you aren't going to see Broadway plays and high falutent art shows in NC...
Actually most Broadway plays have travelling casts and put on the same exact performances in other states, including NC. It's just not "on" Broadway.

I'm planning to take my daughter to the Radio City Christmas show here next winter. The Rockettes are coming, etc. Same show, different place.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Dont you folks see that you are arguing with about 6 former Long Islanders that no longer live here?

Something tells me they wish they were still here. What other reason would they becoming to the LI board to talk down on it. You moved away and got what you wanted. Great.

/Thread
Nobody is really arguing...it's more like setting straight the dumb comments from people who in all likelihood are still living a stone's throw from the house they grew up in on Long Island. If you've never lived anywhere else, at least preface it by saying "in my imagination, this is what it's like in (NC, GA,TX or wherever). It's the same as defending against the conception that all New Yorkers are Joey Buttafuoco. If you actually lived somewhere that you had to go 10 miles for a gallon of milk (riding your cow) then fine, tell us where that is, and I'm sure you are happy you're back (and I don't mean "you" specifically, but in the general sense, KWIM?).

As far as the idea that we all want to come back....not even for a visit. Sorry. That comment is right up there with "your'e just jealous you aren't a cop/teacher" and things of that ilk. Just a silly statement that makes no sense at all.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:47 PM

19,222 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It amazes me when people from LI call other areas "cookie cutter developed" like they can't look around and see entire neighborhoods of the same little box ranch, or blocks upon blocks of the same hi-ranch, etc etc... Not even talking about Levitt.

The suburban homes were sold to folks they bussed in from the city on weekends, using poor quality materials, horribly maintained building code, and inefficient on so many levels. The best part is that they've now gone through 30+ years of weekend warrior "renovations" without permits or qualified trades. Open a few walls and see for yourself.

That is the benchmark for what people will live in when pointing at other metros and calling out poor building practices... It's rather comical.
This is probally one of the truest statement I have read on here...

Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,346,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Actually most Broadway plays have travelling casts and put on the same exact performances in other states, including NC. It's just not "on" Broadway.

I'm planning to take my daughter to the Radio City Christmas show here next winter. The Rockettes are coming, etc. Same show, different place.

Oh yes, and the actors dream of one day starring in that NC musical!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Agreed.

But explain this to me...Why do you keep coming to a LI forum if you hate it so bad that you woudnt even come back to visit? Why? I just dont get it. If you have so much hate for it then why even come here? Am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Nobody is really arguing...it's more like setting straight the dumb comments from people who in all likelihood are still living a stone's throw from the house they grew up in on Long Island. If you've never lived anywhere else, at least preface it by saying "in my imagination, this is what it's like in (NC, GA,TX or wherever). It's the same as defending against the conception that all New Yorkers are Joey Buttafuoco. If you actually lived somewhere that you had to go 10 miles for a gallon of milk (riding your cow) then fine, tell us where that is, and I'm sure you are happy you're back (and I don't mean "you" specifically, but in the general sense, KWIM?).

As far as the idea that we all want to come back....not even for a visit. Sorry. That comment is right up there with "your'e just jealous you aren't a cop/teacher" and things of that ilk. Just a silly statement that makes no sense at all.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM

61 posts, read 228,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Most of what you say is completely absurd except for the sketchy quality of newer houses. I wonder what kind of problems you're going to see down the road with these.
Bingo. We have a winner.

It was meant to be absurd.

Except for the last line.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
Get a life pal. It wasnt my comment.
Sorry, my bad. I wasn't thinking straight after putting in a new outhouse in the hot sun.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Oh yes, and the actors dream of one day starring in that NC musical!
Like guys who are in the big leagues didn't dream of playing A, AA and AAA ball on the way up, working for the touring company isn't a bad way to work "Broadway".

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

But explain this to me...Why do you keep coming to a LI forum if you hate it so bad that you woudnt even come back to visit? Why? I just dont get it. If you have so much hate for it then why even come here? Am I missing something here?

How often, really, do I come here just to stir the pot? Look over my posts. If someone asks a question and I have knowledge to answer, I do so. I don't post inane things; like when someone asks "what should I do because my neighbors horses stink" I don't answer "move to NYC". We all know the people who post replies like that are living in their parents basements, sleeping on their Star Wars sheets with Farah Fawcett smiling down from their plywood walls, because no adult would ever answer thusly. If someone posts something utterly ridiculous about living somewhere else I respond to it. I REALLY try not to do in a "you are all idiots for living there and I'm genius for getting out" - I really do. If I'm not always succeeding, sorry. I try to stick to facts, which is more than 90% of the posters here do.

That's why I haven't even opened the "this is for ex-LIers" thread, and I won't. I'm not interested in debating the topic just for the sake of debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island