Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times

Advertisements

Sorry to have gotten baited way off topic...the issues I see for LI home sales are pretty tangible:

1. While advertised mortgage rates are super-low, most articles state that lenders are not giving those rates. If you need a mortgage at all you probably can't get that lowest rate.

2. Lenders are not as loose about giving mtgs. to houses with permit or CO issues and many on LI have them. Buyers are looking for big concessions or shying away completely. Sellers are forced to make those concessions or spend months or years rectifying CO issues. It's a big drain on potential closings.

3. Even after a steep decline, LI housing stock is still overpriced based on age and condition of homes. Most need renovations upon purchase and are older stock. There is little "built in 2008" stock like in Florida, Nevada, Arizona and other hard hit regions.

On the reverse side of that, when prices even begin to "bottom" on LI, the speculators and contractors (flippers) will start buying up everything in sight and the prices will artificially go up again. Is it really "artificial" when this is a recurring cycle? There is little land for development (especially in Nassau) so when the investors start buying, that is a good sign. So far, that only seems to be happening with foreclosures and even then the really dilapidated ones that can be had for under $200k.

just my opinion.

If you like a place and can swing a deal with a good mortgage, it's a decent time to buy. Not perfect, but good. A heck of alot better than 2007!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM

195 posts, read 310,666 times
All houses are different but in general if you have extra cash in the pocket for renovations it might save money to get a foreclosure instead of a flipped house? I'm sure the flipped house will be priced for more money than the cost of renovations + the original house cost and the quality of work will be in question.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Sorry to have gotten baited way off topic...the issues I see for LI home sales are pretty tangible:

1. While advertised mortgage rates are super-low, most articles state that lenders are not giving those rates. If you need a mortgage at all you probably can't get that lowest rate.

2. Lenders are not as loose about giving mtgs. to houses with permit or CO issues and many on LI have them. Buyers are looking for big concessions or shying away completely. Sellers are forced to make those concessions or spend months or years rectifying CO issues. It's a big drain on potential closings.

3. Even after a steep decline, LI housing stock is still overpriced based on age and condition of homes. Most need renovations upon purchase and are older stock. There is little "built in 2008" stock like in Florida, Nevada, Arizona and other hard hit regions.

On the reverse side of that, when prices even begin to "bottom" on LI, the speculators and contractors (flippers) will start buying up everything in sight and the prices will artificially go up again. Is it really "artificial" when this is a recurring cycle? There is little land for development (especially in Nassau) so when the investors start buying, that is a good sign. So far, that only seems to be happening with foreclosures and even then the really dilapidated ones that can be had for under $200k.

just my opinion.

If you like a place and can swing a deal with a good mortgage, it's a decent time to buy. Not perfect, but good. A heck of alot better than 2007!
Very true.

As for flippers, if you look at the pics on the real estate sites, you will see a lot of empty homes with no furniture, shiny wood floors and new appliances (all signs of flippers). I think these days a lot of flippers are "stuck" with their purchases, paying the property taxes and insurance while they wait for it to sell. If things "bottom" they might not be so keen to keep on buying more while they are still stuck with their former flip projects. Just a thought.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Rule #1 - Buy when YOU are in a good position to buy. Not when Joe Shmoe says it is.

Rates are at a all time low, another drop of 10%(40 k on average) is not that big of a difference. If your job is steady and your ready to buy then buy. Best move I ever did.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 PM

200 posts, read 457,047 times
thank you everyone for all for their replies. i think i'm just going to buy a house 1st thing tomorrow morning.

i'm sick and tired of the place i'm renting...landlord has this untrained dog that barks 24/7 and no one cares to call the cops or tell the owner to do something to stop the barking.

i told the landlord that i'm annoyed of the barking and she tells me "it's a dog, what do you want me to do".

i can't live like this much longer!!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
I am in the same boat. I ma in the process of buying a somewhat new home in Rockland County though. It was built in 2002 and I got it less than what the original owners paid for it. I still don;t know if it;s a good deal but I am willing to go ahead after waiting and looking at real estate for almost 2 1/2 yrs! But the positive outcome of my long wait, was that housing prces dropped drastically in the neighborhood I am looking at by at least $200,000 depending on the house. The problem is when I compare this house to the houses in other states like TX and FL, and then I note the price differences. Is it justified to pay so much to live in NY? Maybe, maybe not. I really can't tell you. I am tired of waiting ad the market will go down but I look to the bright side that it will rise again. Even afer a couple of yrs, inflation wil kick in and the amount we pay now, will be not as much then. I hope it helps....good luck..

Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Same story here. We went to see a house on Sat. The house has been on the market since July 7th. Now all of a sudden there are 3 competetive offers, and the listing agent says we won't even talk unless we come in at asking. The house sat for 2 months at the price it's at now - why the sudden increase in interest? It's not like they hosted an open house.

We put in an offer Sat night, but haven't heard back yet... We are walking if they counter our offer for asking price.

I wish the RE system was like eBay, so at least you can confirm that there is an offer/bid.
Got a response back on Monday after lunch. Another buyer also came in at asking price just like we did, but their "bid" was 100% cash to close in the 1st week of October. Oh well, I guess our search continues...

I'm thinking we lost to an investor or a contractor. We should see the house back on the market in 6mos with the price hike of $150k-$200k.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 AM

213 posts, read 728,483 times
When I was looking I now see how shady the re agents are. I liked a house n put in an offer they told me there were two other offers and I was in the middle. I passed on increasing my offer but the house is still on the market and at a lower starting price. Looking back I feel the agents were tryin to cheat me hopin I would offer higher and increase their commission

Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
When I was looking I now see how shady the re agents are. I liked a house n put in an offer they told me there were two other offers and I was in the middle. I passed on increasing my offer but the house is still on the market and at a lower starting price. Looking back I feel the agents were tryin to cheat me hopin I would offer higher and increase their commission
More likely they were trying to trick you to get the sale done because they knew that the owners wouldn't accept the offer. Either way, this lying is rampant.

By the way, now is a great time to LOOK for a house, because you will know by first smell who has problems with basements flooding after Irene.

If someone has a fresh dry basement now after all that rain, you are pretty good to go. My friends went back to look at a house a second time this weekend and the basement wreaked, where as a month ago it was fine.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,348,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post

I'm almost 100% sure RE agents are not lying to you to increase their commission. 5% of 400,000 vs 5% of 390,000 is $500, and they personally don't see half of that. they'd much rather have a sure thing than a possiblity of an extra $100 in their pocket.

I'm sure that plenty of RE agents may bend the truth to get a higher number. Either in looking out for the client, or basically trying to get you higher to get a number the owner will accept.

The other thing is, having been through this as a seller, buyers show up and disappear. Some agents bring back people who LOVE the house, think its the best, tell my agent that we're going to see something in writing soon at X price, and then they find another house to fall in love with, or the wife's parents kill the deal, or the financing situation falls apart. I guess my point is, there are a lot of reasons why an "offer" doesn't go to contract, and why a contract doesn't go to close and in a lot of cases, its not lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island