Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 PM

200 posts, read 456,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
OP said nothing about flipping homes , sounded like he was looking for a long term residence.
Yep, long term residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 01:27 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
I would chill for now but start looking so you can get an idea of the actual market. Might be some diamonds in the rough out there too.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
When have Real Estate agents ever been honest with potential buyers and said its not a good time to buy? NEVER

Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
inception937, Elke Mariotti has given you some excellent guidance about the effects of rising interest rates, even if house prices show further declines, on the monthly mortgage payment.
Yeah but doesn't it make more since to buy low, because even if the interest rates are higher you can refinance in the future and lower your payments? You can lower your interest rate but not the price you paid for the house.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Yeah but doesn't it make more since to buy low, because even if the interest rates are higher you can refinance in the future and lower your payments? You can lower your interest rate but not the price you paid for the house.
Only if interest rates, after first rising, then decline.

While all markets fluctuate, higher then lower or lower then higher, when today's historically low interest rates reverse direction and head higher, the subsequent declines may not bring these interest rates back to today's historically low levels; and, if that is the case, then refinancing will not lower the mortgage payment.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:03 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Do you think home prices will come down much further on long island? I don't. My suggestion is if you find a good one, buy now. If not, keep looking and don't settle. The market won't change significantly over the next few months.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The market won't change significantly over the next few months.
Unless there is a growing consensus that Obama will be One and Done, then pent-up demand for houses, based on the idea that the next administration will remove each and every one of Obama's economic destroying policies, will turn the housing market around in quick fashion.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,112 times
Default 3x rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
If one is renting, has a 20% deposit, a good credit rating, and steady income of about 20-25% the cost of the home...yes, now could be a good time to buy.
Personal opinion/choice here: Rather than the suggested price range of 4 - 5x the income, I look for a house that is 2.5x (max 3x) my income. It seems that if all along everyone adhered to <3x family income, house prices would have stayed affordable.
It seems to me that paying for a house 5x one's income can strain finances and turn us into slaves of the house. Or could it be just an optimistic view of one's future success in life (and the economy) at the time of purchase?.

Not to be apocalyptic or anything, but after the housing bust, a much bigger and devastating retirement bust may be in the working... If social security is a Ponzi scheme (it has many signs of one), those of us who have to work for some time before retirement, may be on our own at old age. Relying on the government to provide life savers at that point is unlikely to work.
Seems to me, we need to learn to save, live with less, live within our means. It seems hard to do that if you are tied for say 30 years with a house that drains finances...

Again - just a personal opinion.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
As Elke pointed out while prices could become cheaper, actual affordability could still increase if rates go up.

Now of course no one has a crystal ball of where rates or home prices will be so its a guessing game. With that being said, with prices down as they are, the amount of homes on the market, and rates where they are, now is certainly a better time to purchase a home than anytime in the past few years.

It's better to buy cheaper with slightly higher interest rates and buy still inflated housing at the lowest possible interest rates.

Unless you think banks don't calculate interest rates into affordability. Ie, you make 150K, you can afford a 450K house!!! At what interest rate? if you think that interest rates going up won't have a negative effect on housing prices, you're wrong.

That being said, buying a house isn't just an investment, it's about having a stable place to live and putting down roots.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Trying to time the real estate market is similar to timing the stock market: you won't know when you hit bottom until it's on the way up!

If you want to buy, start looking. If you see something you like, buy it; no need to rush--you never know how long it'll take you to find the right house, so why not start now?!!
For the last few years I would have said that Elke was just doing her job promoting the real estate market but now is the time to buy. In 2004 I advised that we were experiencing an artificial bubble and as we went through it I warned people to stand by and utilize restraint. However if you have been following the market you will know that although there has been no real stabilization at this point there will be an upward trend. Interests rates are about to rise in tandom with the crisis's taking place in Europe.

That being said, Don't be in a hurry. Exercise prudence. Wade into the short sale market. It is extremely easy and isn't too time consuming. Real estate agents are much more adept at them then 3 years ago and you have plenty of room to low ball. You may find a gem with little or no required maintenance. I know plenty of people that went through the process and came out winners.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island