Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeezz View Post
They'll go to college and get their degrees like we just got.

Yeah, I got one of those. Who can afford a home for$450,000. when the median income is $65,000. Do the math.

I'm in my early 20s and my boyfriend in his mid 20s. We have degrees and make just over $100k together. We can't afford to get a house right now, which most recent graduates have to do. Just need to wait a few years like everyone else who just graduated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 10:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't know, I guess the guy doing things legally coming out of college is just a moron? I mean, heck, yeah, everyone graduates and gets that $120,000 job off the bat! Everyone goes to school to be a professional and gets big bucks.

I mean, tell those kids who just graduated in May from college and are working at 'entry level' jobs that they MUST have something wrong with them not to be able to leave Daddy's mansion to buy a place of their own in a year or so on the North Shore.

Forget about the 30 somethings still renting. They MUST be idiots, dahling. Everyone who is ANYONE is a successful lawyer or doctor (or their wives, don't forget the trophy wives).

I guess I live in an alternative universe?

1) you don't need to buy a house right after you graduate. I waited over 4 years.
2) you don't need to get a fancy house on the north shore for your first house. my friend is 30 and just bought a $410 house in Levittown, 2 blocks from his 27 yr old brother that bought one for $379. And they're pretty nice, too.
3) you don't have to be a dr. to make money and save money.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
Did you do it on your own?
And to answer the question..do you think your kids will have the financel independendence to do it here on there own ?

I might need spell check ..thanks
Yes, I did...my wife and I. My kids will hopefully be able to do the same. I have no idea. I have 19 and 21 years before they, I assume, graduate college.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
I have to disagree about being able to afford a home. If you don't make decent money, $400,000 is like 4 million.

It's also not just the house but the taxes that kill. I've said this before, in 1996 my husband and I made about $40,000 or so combined and we managed to buy a home (and keep it till I had my son and taxes jacked up).

Today it's not the same thing.

I worked as a teacher (never in public school, though, jobs to hard to get), customer service, and in market research. Never did I make big money. I am not incompetent, I just never found 'great pay' forthcoming. Sometime employees work jobs that "JUST DON'T PAY" very well because they HAVE to pay bills. I also worked 2 jobs to put myself through grad school.

Not everyone, especially college grads with a lot of debt, can afford to hold out for those cake jobs.

PS Is everyone a business major or something? Sleeping with the boss for $$$? Someone let me in on the secret.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,260 times
Default You Should Get Out More

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
The NYC area is a great area to raise kids. If you move to some closed-minded, racist Southern town, your kids will grow up to be like that. But if you raise them in the NYC area, where kids are racially diverse, open-minded, and have a large city to their advantage educationally, they'll be ready to go out into the World and will be successful.
Talk about cosed minded. Miami and Ft Lauderdale have more New Yorkers than New York.....!!

Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm just starting on my own right now. I think that as long as their children go to college and get a degree, they'll be fine. My boyfriend and I are neither upper class or lower class (both teachers), but can afford to live here. You don't need to fit into either of those categories to make it.
Do you live with him? It's not that hard to live here on 2 incomes. The problem is what about those single folks who want to move out and have to live by themselves? That's where it becomes tricky. I have a boyfriend but we don't live together and prob wont for a while- but I am looking to buy some property soon. It is very tough to do that on one income...

Old 11-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Well la di fuggin' da.
Did you catch that people
The sound of her little pinky extending.
I love it here.

Good dig Yeasty...but no.
Thanks for playing

We were a North of a 100k household in in 2000.
(Back when 100k meant something....certainly better off than your average couple fresh out of school)

BTW 500k in 2000 would be for a Luxury home...not a starter.
(Rough translation today 1M.)

C

Where the F&ck do you people live...Muttontown?

There really is two Islands/Americas
Keyword being "We"...no one can buy a house like that on 1 income.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Yes, if they can't do it themselves, I will give them money for a downpayment. That's my plan and that's what I'm putting money aside for (in addition to college and my daughter's wedding). Geez, I just got a little sick right there.
But that's the problem right there- many LIers can't make it on their own b/c their mommies & daddies feed them stuff left & right, hand them money, buy them this & buy them that and then when it's time to do the responsible "adult" independent things, these kids are clueless...and you are just adding fuel to the fire.

I'm 26 and while I live at home, my parents basically told me they are not helping me out financially at all. I pay my own bills, I cook & buy my own food and when the time comes for a house and a wedding, they are not helping me one bit.

Many parents always give their kids that "safety net"...and that's why LI has so many rich spoiled kids...who are clueless about everything.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:01 PM

208 posts, read 913,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But that's the problem right there- many LIers can't make it on their own b/c their mommies & daddies feed them stuff left & right, hand them money, buy them this & buy them that and then when it's time to do the responsible "adult" independent things, these kids are clueless...and you are just adding fuel to the fire.

I'm 26 and while I live at home, my parents basically told me they are not helping me out financially at all. I pay my own bills, I cook & buy my own food and when the time comes for a house and a wedding, they are not helping me one bit.

Many parents always give their kids that "safety net"...and that's why LI has so many rich spoiled kids...who are clueless about everything.
Fortunately for me, my wife's parents had a lot of extra money "laying around" and were able to help us out with the down payment on our house a bit. Now, I am all for doing things on your own, but tell me, if your parents had the money and offered it to you, would you take it? I for one do not think I am spoiled, nor am I rich by any means of the word, and neither are her parents, they live in a small 3 bedroom cape in valley stream for over 30 years, paid the house off, and bought the house next door to them, which they rent out, so they were frugal with their money and able to help us out. I appreciate it more than you can imagine, but trust me, it doesn't make me clueless or spoiled in any sense of the word, it is just a direct result of the situation around here.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:03 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
I, too, see nothing wrong with helping your kids out as long as you do it in a way that teaches them instead of spoils them. People who take the attitude that they are not going to do anything for their kids, although they can afford to, are misguided. Do they want their kids to live in poverty? There is a big difference between helping and spoiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island