Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,570 times

Advertisements

What the HELL happened to this neighborhood? I was there today for the first time in a long time and can't believe how it's gone downhill. Sad - very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,331,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
What the HELL happened to this neighborhood? I was there today for the first time in a long time and can't believe how it's gone downhill. Sad - very sad.
I live around there and I have not noticed anything getting worse or going "downhill". Crime has not gone up, just the level of diversity.

It's 2011 and the world is changing: deal with it.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:52 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,100 times
Development of Future Ghettos 10 years ago witch are now Ghettos
Illigals Alliens witch Nobody Does Nothing about
Lack of Police

I could go on and on but i will stop here

Old 10-08-2011, 07:03 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,355 times
What witch is that? The wicked witch of the west?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
What witch is that? The wicked witch of the west?
No More like the Troll of the East

Old 10-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I live around there and I have not noticed anything getting worse or going "downhill". Crime has not gone up, just the level of diversity.

It's 2011 and the world is changing: deal with it.
You live around there - for how long? 10 years? 20 years? 30 years?
Yes - for most of us WHITE EUROPEAN AMERICANS - when a neighborhood becomes "diverse" that code for saying it's a minority-infested third-world ****-hole.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
You live around there - for how long? 10 years? 20 years? 30 years?
Yes - for most of us WHITE EUROPEAN AMERICANS - when a neighborhood becomes "diverse" that code for saying it's a minority-infested third-world ****-hole.
Maybe it might mean that in the Deep South somewhere but anybody with at least a High School education knows that diverse just means having a notable presence of more than one ethnic group.

I mean, IF you did live in this town then you can sell your house and move all you want(if you're even able to with the recession); it's totally your choice. But it's only a matter of time until the new location becomes diverse as well. If you change your attitude then you may have an easier time adjusting because that's the way society and this country as a whole is going neither you like it or not. Not trying to come off rude but just laying it out for you like it is.

btw: I lived here for 10-20 years, graduated from NB Schools (which has always had diversity and performed reasonably academically) and I came out fine. Get with the program!

[For the record- I only notice more diversity in the Woods Rd and Weeks Rd sections of North Babylon. The neighborhoods of the hamlet of North Babylon south of the Southern State Pkwy don't really have that noticeable of a minority presence; though even the woods rd+weeks rd sections are still overwhelmingly majority white.]

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-08-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 PM

30 posts, read 58,418 times
My street became a whole lot more "diverse" in the past three years, mainly due to a wealthy guy snatching up a few of the foreclosed split-level homes, and I guess renting them out sloppily. Put it this way, all the sudden a lot of unique cars/trucks with out of state plates began popping up, and I figure in some of these places, there's a different person in each bedroom.

Quiet evenings outside with a glass of red are now classed up with a fine chap two doors down blasting reggaeton out of his lowered late-80s Mitsu truck with North Carolina plates.

Embrace diversity.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Maybe it might mean that in the Deep South somewhere but anybody with at least a High School education knows that diverse just means having a notable presence of more than one ethnic group.

I mean, IF you did live in this town then you can sell your house and move all you want(if you're even able to with the recession); it's totally your choice. But it's only a matter of time until the new location becomes diverse as well. If you change your attitude then you may have an easier time adjusting because that's the way society and this country as a whole is going neither you like it or not. Not trying to come off rude but just laying it out for you like it is.

btw: I lived here for 10-20 years, graduated from NB Schools (which has always had diversity and performed reasonably academically) and I came out fine. Get with the program!

[For the record- I only notice more diversity in the Woods Rd and Weeks Rd sections of North Babylon. The neighborhoods of the hamlet of North Babylon south of the Southern State Pkwy don't really have that noticeable of a minority presence; though even the woods rd+weeks rd sections are still overwhelmingly majority white.]
You don't have to go to the South to find segregation - you LIVE in one of the most segregated areas in the country:
New study ranks Long Island 7th most segregated among 50 major metro regions. « CBS New York

Now - despite what the liberal, progressive government employees taught you in the government-run school system you attended - most people desire to live among people with the same cultural values and different races have different cultural values. Additionally, most people desire to live among people who are from the same socioeconomic class. Combine these two desires and you have segregation - and there's nothing wrong with it a all. Get use to it - it's not likely to change anytime soon.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
You don't have to go to the South to find segregation - you LIVE in one of the most segregated areas in the country:
New study ranks Long Island 7th most segregated among 50 major metro regions. « CBS New York

Now - despite what the liberal, progressive government employees taught you in the government-run school system you attended - most people desire to live among people with the same cultural values and different races have different cultural values. Additionally, most people desire to live among people who are from the same socioeconomic class. Combine these two desires and you have segregation - and there's nothing wrong with it a all. Get use to it - it's not likely to change anytime soon.
That's obviously true, most people do desire to live around their own culture; that's nothing new. My point was that most places are gradually becoming diverse even where you wouldn't expect it. Back even 40 years ago, a lot of people didn't expect LI to become nearly as diverse as it is now, but look at LI now. So you can run but you can't hide. Again, i'm not even saying I like or dislike diversity, i'm just saying that you and your conservative right wing friends[since you brought up politics] should get used to it or move to a trailer park down in West Virginia or Nebraska and wait until even that eventually becomes diverse.

And even if you do want to argue socioeconomic status. The gap between minority income and white income is gradually becoming smaller as the years go on; so one of your self-proclaimed leading causes of segregation will no longer exist/significantly minimize. Some minority groups have even surpassed Whites in income. In the Town of Babylon (minus Wyandanch), the gap between white+black income is MUCH smaller than in the rest of the country. Let me provide a source for that;
http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2...f=censusbureau
[^^ If you click on 'view more maps then income' and search the town of babylon, you can see that most people in the town of babylon area are middle-working class and in the same "socioeconomic" category as each other so socioeconomic status isn't even a factor.]

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-09-2011 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island