Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:58 PM

149 posts, read 360,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I agree, I am from Islip and people automatically think Central Islip, no not true, I am a few blocks from the East Islip Border idiot.Some people have gone as far as asking if I am near the Hamptons? Did these people flunk geograohy in school? or maybe they were absent that day LOL
YES thank you! I'm right by Islip...we have a major airport by us so how are we by the Hamptons? Just to prove we aren't in the boonies, MacArthur is actually listed as an official NYC airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM

294 posts, read 743,886 times
I'm from Nassau and I don't think that way

Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
I'm from Nassau and I don't think that way
Thank you. Nice to know some people understand geography and distance.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
You are a complete moron. I have a friend in Yonkers just north of the Bronx and you can see the empire state building clear as day from down his street. There is also New Rochelle which is anything but upstate. Mount Vernon too. You also have White Plains up there. Those are all definitely not considered upstate. Generally speaking most people refer to upstate as anything north of Rockland County. Anything east of 110? 110 is in Nassau you idiot. So anything more than like 15 miles east of Queens is out east? You really have no clue and it's people like you that make me start these threads. Pure ignorance. Please explain why MacArthur airport is an OFFICIAL NYC airport if it's the boonies.
It sounds like you are someone that it is very easy for people to get under your skin. Did we really need a new thread on this? I don't think most people really care about your point, if anything, most may joke about it...just like some people out in Suffolk like to paint Nassau as part if Queens.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Also, you can see the NYC skyline from Bay Shore at Robert Moses on a clear day and in Melville as well easily.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
It sounds like you are someone that it is very easy for people to get under your skin. Did we really need a new thread on this? I don't think most people really care about your point, if anything, most may joke about it...just like some people out in Suffolk like to paint Nassau as part if Queens.
Then why are you here? No one is holding a gun to your head demanding you to come in. Yes it does deserve a new thread because I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Most people joke about it? People think I'm in the boonies probably 90% of the time I meet people from Nassau. Not as jokes either...they act like they need a plane to get to my area. Nassau isn't part of Queens but lots of people in Nassau try to make it seem that way. They fight so hard to identify with NYC and push Suffolk out of the conversation even though Most parts of Suffolk aren't that much further from NYC.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Then why are you here? No one is holding a gun to your head demanding you to come in. Yes it does deserve a new thread because I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Most people joke about it? People think I'm in the boonies probably 90% of the time I meet people from Nassau. Not as jokes either...they act like they need a plane to get to my area. Nassau isn't part of Queens but lots of people in Nassau try to make it seem that way. They fight so hard to identify with NYC and push Suffolk out of the conversation even though Most parts of Suffolk aren't that much further from NYC.
Thankfully we travel in different circles, I just don't see this. That and I don't let what people think bother me, especially on this internet.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
I think it's all relative.

I'm from Western Suffolk (The Babylon's) and I consider Ronkonkoma to be "far out" but obviously not the East End... Idk, I just think of how many exits I have to pass to get out there.

But i'm sure somebody from the Garden City's would consider somebody from The Babylon's to be far out. And somebody from the Jamaica's would consider somebody from the Garden City's to be far out! And somebody from Manhattan to consider somebody from the Jamaica's to be far out!!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I think it's all relative.

I'm from Western Suffolk (The Babylon's) and I consider Ronkonkoma to be "far out" but obviously not the East End... Idk, I just think of how many exits I have to pass to get out there.

But i'm sure somebody from the Garden City's would consider somebody from The Babylon's to be far out. And somebody from the Jamaica's would consider somebody from the Garden City's to be far out! And somebody from Manhattan to consider somebody from the Jamaica's to be far out!!
That's just not true though. Dude you live in Babylon? I could get in my car now and drive to the Babylon train station in 20-25 min. You aren't in some far away land. This is what I mean people exaggerate so much. In any other state if someone was 25 min away it would be considered really close not far. Garden City is near the border of Queens...hardly "far out" from Jamaica what is it 20 minutes by car? And Manhattan is 15 minutes from Jamaica...I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 PM

156 posts, read 449,159 times
Quote:
You are a complete moron. I have a friend in Yonkers just north of the Bronx and you can see the empire state building clear as day from down his street. There is also New Rochelle which is anything but upstate. Mount Vernon too. You also have White Plains up there. Those are all definitely not considered upstate. Generally speaking most people refer to upstate as anything north of Rockland County. Anything east of 110? 110 is in Nassau you idiot. So anything more than like 15 miles east of Queens is out east? You really have no clue and it's people like you that make me start these threads. Pure ignorance. Please explain why MacArthur airport is an OFFICIAL NYC airport if it's the boonies.
Stewart Airport is considered a NYC airport too and I would consider it pretty out of the way(and so would you by your own definition), so using the airport isn't the best way to sell your theory.

By the way, is the name calling really necessary? Save your powerful words for important arguments.

Happy Holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island