Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 AM

214 posts, read 459,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drwhitefps View Post
123abc123:

I didn't get your reasoning, but interesting - can you explain it to me again?

A child with limited English proficiency at the time of a state mandated test will perform low on such a test.

Imagine moving to Germany and being forced to take a test in German- even if you have only been immersed in the language for a single week. Your score is then averaged in with everyone's score. Your score will make the schools overall lower, but that does not mean that your school is "bad". Does that help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 01:47 PM

37 posts, read 136,413 times
Gotcha. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2014, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 5,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drwhitefps View Post
Would love to know anyone's opinion on general education in both area schools. We are considering both areas, and would love to hear the experiences of posters who have sent their children to these schools.

Thanks!
Raised in Port Washington, but spent a lot of time in Manhasset, both are great communities, both are diverse. Either one would be a great choice to raise a family.

P.S. Franks Pizza is 100% beter than Gino's will ever be lol

Old 09-22-2014, 07:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Funny part of it all is hardly anyone cares where you went to HS in life. And unless you went to an IVY league college or a particularly bad college very few folks care where you went to college.

What ever advantage you had pretty much fades by 30 in the workforce. Years ago I worked at Merril Lynch and was in a meeting with the CEO. Back in the late 90s the joke was you had to be IVY league or white shoe college or MBA graduates to get a spot in the Management training program or trader training program. Local Schools Hofstra, Pace, SJU were not allowed in.

However the CEO was a St. Johns Graduate and joke was at Merrill the only thing a SJU degree is good for if you want to be CEO.

I have worked with CEOS from Queens College, SJU, Fordham, Hofstra etc. Why cause those positions are giving in your 50's based on your qualifications and not your degree.

The best schools will help you greatly in first 1-10 years out of school. However, as someone who actually graduated Great Neck South I can tell you it truly is a horrible school. I am not talking academics. But it does not prepare you for the real world.

First job as a manager I had 40 folks working for me. Blacks, Asians, Indians, Orthodox, unwed Mothers, tough Italian and Irish from Brookyn and SI who cursed like a chimney.

The first rung manager or supervisor spot for a young guy in his early 20s is generally supervising or managing this type of folk. The Great Necks and Manhassets of worlkd do a horrible job.

last ivy league guy I had working for me, did not understand I knew all the jewish holidays, Hindu holidays, Muslim Holidays, could speak lingo on a few languages, could curse like a sailor. The time I spent as a little kid in the Bronx and working clerical jobs during HS and College help me overcame the great disadvantage I had of spending 7 years in the Great Neck School district.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 AM

Also you have to realize Perception a school is better is more powerful than if the school is actually better.

I was very shocked when looking at recent school ratings that I saw US News and World Reports that just recently posted HS rankings actually ranked Oceanside HS higher than Rockville Centre HS.

RVC usually always is ranked higher than Oceanside for as far as I can remember. I as kinda shocked when I read this. But RVC is the perceived better schools and folks pay a huge prem to go there. The other draw is people really dont want diverse schools. Rich folk with college degrees like to go to school with rich folk with college degrees.

Switch teachers in Manhasset with Freeport and I bet you the scores stay the same in both schools. Why Manhassets has smart, hard working students with rich parents who are very involved. The son of a math teacher married to a partner in a big four accounting firm gets straight As in Allegra is replaced by a Illegal Mexican student who works almost full time in his dads landscaping business I dont think the Manhasset teacher is going to keep the same results.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Sandy, tell us how you really feel about GNS

As a graduate of GNS, I have a different perspective.. while I agree GNS doesn't teach you anything useful in life, the same is pretty much true for any HS/college curriculum.

The one thing I benefitted the most from going to GNS was the cut throat competition basically prepares you for the rest of your life. GNS was more competitive than college, and that prepared me well when I hit med school and beyond. The point of school isn't really to the learn all the book stuff.. its to learn how to compete, crush your competition, stab people in the back, all stuff I learned really well while in GNS.

And I probably hated GNS as much as you did growing up, but in retrospect, when I look back, GNS really did prepare me well in life.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Sandy, tell us how you really feel about GNS

As a graduate of GNS, I have a different perspective.. while I agree GNS doesn't teach you anything useful in life, the same is pretty much true for any HS/college curriculum.

The one thing I benefitted the most from going to GNS was the cut throat competition basically prepares you for the rest of your life. GNS was more competitive than college, and that prepared me well when I hit med school and beyond. The point of school isn't really to the learn all the book stuff.. its to learn how to compete, crush your competition, stab people in the back, all stuff I learned really well while in GNS.

And I probably hated GNS as much as you did growing up, but in retrospect, when I look back, GNS really did prepare me well in life.

I did learn about what a briss is, Bar and Bat Mitz was and also a lot about nose jobs. I actually rarely studied at GNS. The non-Jewish, non-Asian kids are not really encouraged that much as it is assumed we would do blue collar stuff. I actually graduated GNS totally unprepared for college.

College I also rarely studied which left me unprepared for Graduate School, and Graduate School left me unprepared for my Post Graduate work.

Now my college a few years back as a "distinguished" alumni asked me to give a speech at a dinner gala to the graduating class of the business school. It goes pretty well, actually my speeches usually go very well as like school I dont prepare at all, I just wing it. Anyhow these two asian girls on a student Visa finishing their MBA come up afterwards to talk to me and they are all super impressed. Finally, I ask one so what interested you in my speech so much?

Asian girl goes I read you bio while you speak, you no seem to study much or work too hard in school yet you have a very very big job and get to give very very big speech. I go so, she goes so you teach me how. Me study very hard and no job offer.

I get home and tell my wife and she is laughing.

Greatest insult and compliment at same time. But now I really need to brush up on my academics I guess. I had another Asian girl not long ago who works for me when we were joking around with who is smartest in department not say I was the smartest. Being her boss she throws back you have tons of street smarts, know how to make money and poltics which is why you the boss. WTF, Guess I have to start lying and claim I actually studied.

Only good thing I can say about GNS is the school has an excelent reputation. The college I went to my GPA was too low to attend and I was told a GNS degree is worth more than other public shools so we take that into account. If I had goofed off in a lesser school I would have been in trouble.

I have neices and nephews who all went to Manhasset and Port Wash Schools and honestly they may be good schools but none of them are on career pathes leading to corner offices.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:49 AM

344 posts, read 717,866 times
Yeah, but you still can't write worth a crap. And what's with the mocking of the "asian girls?" It may be time to dislodge that massive chip on your shoulder.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Yeah, but you still can't write worth a crap. And what's with the mocking of the "asian girls?" It may be time to dislodge that massive chip on your shoulder.

I love Asian girls. They are bright, hard workers and respectful. I had Japanese, Chinese and Korean women all excelent.

I also love that Asians respect Americans. During business trips in Japan and dealing Chinese and Korean companies it was great. But oddly folks from India and Pakistan dont have the same level of respect.

I dont know if it stems from they feel we dont respect them so they dont give respect back.

I was not mocking Asians, but I often notice they really value Education. In Asia and even Europe in the workforce folks will be addressed as a a Dr. even if the Dr. is in Chemistry or Political Science at a bank.

Also folks who get a MBA, pass CFA, or CPA etc who are Asian from Asia seem to think Education has a bearing on promotion. I once had a lousy worker who was originally from India, he went to get a MBA ast night I paid for. At end he basically demanded a promotion as he was now educated. Even his parents were like what kinda boss does not promote a man who just got a MBA. I was like first I let you leave a little early early two to three nights a week for three years and I paid for it out of my cost center and finally I never asked you to go, you took advantage of an employee benefit and I am sure it will greatly help you in your career down the road.

The Asian girls are from Asian and that is how it is. In Asia younger folk, folk at a lesser level carry my brief case and push the elevator button for me. But in USA does not work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island