Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM

195 posts, read 310,589 times

Advertisements

my friend earned a $5000 raise every year the past 3 years as a teacher. Businesses understand they can't afford this right now Why should the state be an exception?
I know he probably made extra money with tutoring and other school activities...
why should he get paid $40 an hour for monitoring a school dance?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM

80-100k base is good without a masters degree...and the OT is typically standing around waiting for something to do like moving parked cars around in brooklyn, watching tv, and going out for sandwiches. still i wouldn't want to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And the majority of those that do hit 150k had to work 30-40k worth of overtime to get there. Nassau for instance current top pay (108k) takes 8 years to hit. Almost a decade.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
The teachers I know that work their asses off are far from union reps, in fact they think the union is pretty much useless and doesn't do a thing to benefit them at all. Sure there will be some that do nothing and collect a nice paycheck, but I think that's the exception rather than the norm. Your example of you kids KG teacher is giving all the others a bad rap.
Then they should kick the union out. What are they wasting their money on union dues for? All the school districts should. Then we might get somewhere.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then they should kick the union out. What are they wasting their money on union dues for? All the school districts should. Then we might get somewhere.
The school district budgets will be coming up shortly, haven't heard much but it's going to be a very bad year with the pension increases.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM

The law that appears to have just passed will reduce pensions for all "future new hires"
well that doesn't solve the problem for next year. They aren't hiring anyone now. That only helps 20-30 years from now. But it's a start. If employees don't like it then let em quit and hire the desparate teachers that are currently unemployed. Down with the unions!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 AM

172 posts, read 448,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post
The law that appears to have just passed will reduce pensions for all "future new hires"
well that doesn't solve the problem for next year. They aren't hiring anyone now. That only helps 20-30 years from now. But it's a start. If employees don't like it then let em quit and hire the desparate teachers that are currently unemployed. Down with the unions!
you say ''Down with the Unions'', you should really read up on the history of unions and how important they were and still are to building the USA. Say goobye to middle class, look at right to work states and the terrible pay and work conditions.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 AM

305 posts, read 610,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Your way of logic is off.

If your income is $140k, your S.O can afford not to work and watch your kids and you wont be paying childcare. If they do work I would hope there income would cover the daycare and some.

My expenses might be low, but that's based on how far you live from work, where you drive on weekends and so on.

Use any income state calculator that has new york state and federal withholdings and you will see that $140k leaves you with roughly $90k.

Now you're telling me taking how $7,500 a month is average? Even Long Island standards you are overspending if you're not living above average on that single income salary.

Every public service and municipality has there hands in the cookie jar and it drives property tax and cost of goods up on Long Island. I stand by my statements that property tax has a huge impact on the cost of living here.
I don't know where I said $140K was single person income. But your forgetting 2 important things in your cacluation, 401K & health insurance (also others such as disability, life insurance, etc...).
Health Insurance is about $500 per month, and 401K @ 8% is $800.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombero2811 View Post
you say ''Down with the Unions'', you should really read up on the history of unions and how important they were and still are to building the USA. Say goobye to middle class, look at right to work states and the terrible pay and work conditions.
It is a myth that unions created the middle class.

At the end of WWII and through the early 1960s, the U.S. and Canada had hardly any competition in world trade as the European and Japanese economies were in poor shape, to say the least, and it would take them the good part of a generation to offer any real competition to the U.S. and Canada.

Meanwhile, union excesses built up in the U.S. and when imports from Europe and Japan started arriving on our shores, many industries, especially the highly unionized auto industry could no longer compete.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM

172 posts, read 448,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It is a myth that unions created the middle class.

At the end of WWII and through the early 1960s, the U.S. and Canada had hardly any competition in world trade as the European and Japanese economies were in poor shape, to say the least, and it would take them the good part of a generation to offer any real competition to the U.S. and Canada.

Meanwhile, union excesses built up in the U.S. and when imports from Europe and Japan started arriving on our shores, many industries, especially the highly unionized auto industry could no longer compete.
Dude you're a myth, a legend in your own mind!

Old 03-15-2012, 12:31 PM

155 posts, read 426,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The school district budgets will be coming up shortly, haven't heard much but it's going to be a very bad year with the pension increases.

It is, but the scare tactics will win out again and the majority of the budgets will pass, as usual.

"Do it for the kids!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island