Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM

119 posts, read 257,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Kind of a moot point. All workers are covered for medical for on the job accidents or injury. It's personal/family health insurance the poster is referencing.
I am talking about after retirement as well. Police Officers have a significantly lower life-expectancy than the rest of the population due to stress, PTSD, sleep deprivation, and other factors.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.N.Y. View Post
I am talking about after retirement as well. Police Officers have a significantly lower life-expectancy than the rest of the population due to stress, PTSD, sleep deprivation, and other factors.
Please cite your source for this information.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I was hoping we could make it through one post about unions without blaming wall street, the illegals, social programs, Iran, still there is hope.
As dman says they always use these same old distractions, "We're not so bad ... quick ... look over THERE!"

Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Please cite your source for this information.
Police Survey Studies Council.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
The difference, princess, is that those other people who get shot at just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Cops, on the other hand are shot at for one of two reasons: They're deliberately confronting a bad guy with a gun. Or simply because they're a cop wearing a blue uniform.
Reason #3 On LI: they are also shot at crime scenes when they are trying to do their jobs by other local LEOs (including retirees) who are both nosy and incompetent.

Quote:
And I'm always amazed at those of you who look down their noses at cops because of what you deem to be "minimal" education. You'd be surprised at the amount of education the average cop has (including my graduate degree earned while you were still in diapers.)
They can have as much education as they want, BUT it is not required for their job. With the compensation they are getting, they should be REQUIRED to attend more than 13th and 14th grade (aka Nassau Community College). My friend's dad retired as a lieutenant in NYPD ... with a high school diploma. Of course the man was intelligent ... he passed the tests for promotions, etc., but the point is, college wasn't required to attain this rank at the time he was on the force.

Quote:
The way you continually rant about all the "perks" that cops get, one might conclude that you have a pretty miserable life. I guess being home with the kids all day with nothing to do than whine on these chat boards does that to you.
You would be concluding wrong. I make as much as cops with at least 10 years on the job do in Nassau. However, they still got me beat because my 6 year education was at two expensive and top tier private schools (bachelors and masters) and they just had to go to 13th and 14th grade.

But mainly I am complaining because of the impact on my local taxes that the "supercompensation" of the public sector union police and teachers has because I do not believe this "supercompensation" is necessary or makes for better cops and teachers. It is only because they have strong unions around here. If anything, "supercompensation" and super job security make for worse cops and teachers because it makes them arrogant and makes them think they can get away with anything. A little humbleness would go a long way in these two supposed "helping" professions on LI.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
So being a retail worker on Long Island is dangerous? If you seriously think most of Long Island has a high crime rate then you should visit Albany, NY, Camden, NJ or run-down parts of Detroit, Philly, Baltimore, and Miami. Now those places maybe retail workers are at danger, not Long Island. It's ridiculous to argue that being a retail worker on Long Island is more dangerous than being a firefighter.

When did this thread become about unions? Long Island has high taxes and its something we have to deal with it. You think the suburbs of NYC, aka the capital of the world, are going to be a cheap place to live? Everything is expensive on LI from housing, gas, groceries, insurance, so why wouldn't taxes be? I stick with my belief that you only live on Long Island if you can afford it, and these days you need to make an income $150K+ to have a decent living here. Plus teachers, cops, and firefighters pay property taxes here too, so technically they help pay their own salary.
The reason we have high property taxes is because of public sector unions and the politicians they own.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Yes the median/mean wage for LI is about $70-$90K. Doesn't make much sense since the COL is so high. In order to get a decent house on LI (especially western LI) you'll pay $500K+. And a decent house I mean with a 2 car garage, good size backyard, outdoor deck or patio with sliding doors, big kitchen with an island, 3+ bedrooms, and finished basement. Any house with all those amenities here is overpriced. Housing is what is going to be driving people out of Long Island, not taxes. It's ridiculous to pay $350-400K for a house with no more than 3 bedrooms, small kitchen, no basement, and tiny backyard. Why should pay $350K for a small house on Long Island when I can get a huge house and property for that price in the suburbs of Dallas, Denver, or Atlanta and still have access to big city amenities.

One of the reasons I left Long Island is because I can't afford a good house, not the taxes. As I said in a previous post I'm not paying $350K for a house with no basement and small kitchen in Levittown and I'm not paying $800K for a house on a main road with a tiny backyard in Garden City. Taxes are cake prices here compared to the housing prices.
Go to mlsli.com and look at the houses. Prices have gone down. Then look at the PROPERTY TAXES for each of the houses you like. Then figure out a PITI payment if you were to buy one of these houses. The property taxes are what will actually break you.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
They are not the only ones who do shift work and work off hours. I have done so also in the past.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They are not the only ones who do shift work and work off hours. I have done so also in the past.
But once again, did you have to work during big hurricanes or storms? Inhale dangerous chemicals during fires? Restrain emotionally disturbed people who want to kill you? Etc etc etc. Retail and police work are not comparable, and there's a reason that Police Officers get decent compensation around here.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
But once again, did you have to work during big hurricanes or storms? Inhale dangerous chemicals during fires? Restrain emotionally disturbed people who want to kill you? Etc etc etc. Retail and police work are not comparable, and there's a reason that Police Officers get decent compensation around here.
I agree that retail and police work are not comparable in most aspects.

However, you say "decent" compensation when I say "OVERcompensation." I say that for Long Island only.

I would like to see a happy medium ... fair compensation. For example, I am AGAINST the situation where new recruits have their pay frozen at $35,000 a year for five years. That is not a living wage on Long Island! However, the reason this is happening is the greed of the long-time union members and its leadership. Why eat the young? Because of greed.

Riddle me this: how come police (and teachers for that matter) in Nassau and Suffolk are compensated well above their counterparts in NYC when the OVERWHELMING trend for other professions is that the pay is MORE, often significantly more, in NYC than on Long Island?

There is no legitimate reason that a cop in Nassau and a teacher in Suffolk should be so much more highly compensated than a cop in Tribeca or on the Upper East Side or a teacher in Soho or on the Upper West Side.

The only reason is the UNION shenanigans and unfair manipulation of the labor market on Long Island when it comes to cops and teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island