Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
What kind of facts are you looking for ?

I was with 5 friends drinking at my bar last night, well one was an equal partner of mine. They all make good money anywhere from 275-800k a year.
Tell us what they do for a living for starters.

Since you're here, what do you think of the statement below that NYPD and NYC's teachers are grossly inferior to LI cops and teachers and deserve less compensation for working in the City:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.N.Y. View Post
There's a huge difference between the quality of cops and teachers that the city employs compared to those on Long Island ...
Yes, I actually stuck up for NYPD and NYC teachers!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:05 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
So Special Units never go on the streets? Same with Lieutenants or other supervisors? what about the special units such as ESU, BSO, etc where everything they do is on the street? Deputies are under the Sheriff's Office and not NCPD. Even with the special units with admin positions it's nowhere near the 60 percent you claim. Don't pull made-up statistics out of your ass to make a point.
This was an old article but it still makes the point, they have decreased admin positions overtime but still gives you an idea. So what's your number. Still waiting for an answer why taxpayers need to pick up the health plans for Police, seems like they are paid enough to pick up their own pensions and health, especially since many of those are in office positions.

Instead of tossing insults because you disagree come up with some facts.

"One of the most astonishing disclosures related to the number of officers
assigned to jobs that keep them off the streets. Only 44 percent of Nassau police respond to service calls. The rest shuffle papers, answer phones, train or administer. This does not compare well with other departments. Nationwide, an average of 60 percent of the sworn officers are on the street answering calls. In New York City, 72 percent of the force is so deployed. "

EDITORIAL / At Least These Nassau Cops Were Out on the Street

Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM

119 posts, read 257,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This was an old article but it still makes the point, they have decreased admin positions overtime but still gives you an idea. So what's your number. Still waiting for an answer why taxpayers need to pick up the health plans for Police, seems like they are paid enough to pick up their own pensions and health, especially since many of those are in office positions.

Instead of tossing insults because you disagree come up with some facts.

"One of the most astonishing disclosures related to the number of officers
assigned to jobs that keep them off the streets. Only 44 percent of Nassau police respond to service calls. The rest shuffle papers, answer phones, train or administer. This does not compare well with other departments. Nationwide, an average of 60 percent of the sworn officers are on the street answering calls. In New York City, 72 percent of the force is so deployed. "

EDITORIAL / At Least These Nassau Cops Were Out on the Street
Deployed does not equal responding to service calls, just typical Newsday spin to make the NCPD look bad. NYC has an extremely high amount of house-mouse and noncombatant cops in command such as Compstat, TARU, etc. Some precincts in the city only turn out 3 or 4 cars and a Sergeant and the sectors will have multiple calls stacked that they need to handle.

Just because only 44 percent of the force answer 911 calls doesn't mean that the other 56 percent are sitting around doing nothing but answering phones. That 44 percent statistic doesn't include cops who are out on the streets and patrol but don't answer traditional calls for service, such as Mounted, Aviation, Marine, ESU, K9, BSO, etc. Then you have a laundry list of Detective commands that don't patrol, but solve crimes by clearing cases and arresting criminals. Responding to service calls doesn't mean everything.

Remember, Newsday is in the business of making money, and sensationalism editorials brings in a lot of cash. Not everything you read in the news is true, and most things you read from Newsday usually aren't.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Yes the median/mean wage for LI is about $70-$90K. Doesn't make much sense since the COL is so high. In order to get a decent house on LI (especially western LI) you'll pay $500K+. And a decent house I mean with a 2 car garage, good size backyard, outdoor deck or patio with sliding doors, big kitchen with an island, 3+ bedrooms, and finished basement. Any house with all those amenities here is overpriced. Housing is what is going to be driving people out of Long Island, not taxes. It's ridiculous to pay $350-400K for a house with no more than 3 bedrooms, small kitchen, no basement, and tiny backyard. Why should pay $350K for a small house on Long Island when I can get a huge house and property for that price in the suburbs of Dallas, Denver, or Atlanta and still have access to big city amenities.

One of the reasons I left Long Island is because I can't afford a good house, not the taxes. As I said in a previous post I'm not paying $350K for a house with no basement and small kitchen in Levittown and I'm not paying $800K for a house on a main road with a tiny backyard in Garden City. Taxes are cake prices here compared to the housing prices.
The average annual wage for Nassau & Suffolk is slightly over $52,000 according to the DOL.

It seems like the discussion always ends up in justification relative to the high COLA on LI, yes housing is cheaper elsewhere, but why is it the sole responsibility of taxpayers to pay for a $350K home. Obviously there are plenty of residents that make far less than $108-150 and get by, why should they have to support not only high salaries but also health care and pensions. There are many ways to home ownership, saving, living at home longer, help from relatives or just renting an apartment, also the option you chose, leave.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Deployed does not equal responding to service calls, just typical Newsday spin to make the NCPD look bad. NYC has an extremely high amount of house-mouse and noncombatant cops in command such as Compstat, TARU, etc. Some precincts in the city only turn out 3 or 4 cars and a Sergeant and the sectors will have multiple calls stacked that they need to handle.

Just because only 44 percent of the force answer 911 calls doesn't mean that the other 56 percent are sitting around doing nothing but answering phones. That 44 percent statistic doesn't include cops who are out on the streets and patrol but don't answer traditional calls for service, such as Mounted, Aviation, Marine, ESU, K9, BSO, etc. Then you have a laundry list of Detective commands that don't patrol, but solve crimes by clearing cases and arresting criminals. Responding to service calls doesn't mean everything.

Remember, Newsday is in the business of making money, and sensationalism editorials brings in a lot of cash. Not everything you read in the news is true, and most things you read from Newsday usually aren't.
The point is that not all are particularly dangerous front line positions, even if the number of administrative positions was 30-40% that is significant, the real danger is to cops out on the street.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The point is that not all are particularly dangerous front line positions, even if the number of administrative positions was 30-40% that is significant, the real danger is to cops out on the street.
The point I was trying to make was that 44 percent statistic did not include all cops out on the street and if we were talking about all cops who work the street the number would be closer to 70-80 percent.

There are a lot of inside jobs in the Department that can't be civilianized because a civilian can't do it, such as taking sworn statements, prisoner transports, property bureau, etc. The Department also saves money by having cops working some civilian positions, such as in the Legal Bureau, where it would be more expensive to have full time lawyers working there rather than cops.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Really? LOL. Even if there is ONE lonely NCPD officer who doesn't bring in any OT and "only" makes $108K, you need to research the average TOTAL FAMILY income on Long Island. (Meaning wifey has to work full-time too and isn't just shopping all day in yoga pants.)

The County's fault? Why? For grossly overcompensating the ones that came before them?

#1: Wasn't the $25,100 a year only paid while they were still in Police Academy and on probation ... meaning before they became full fledged officers?

#2: Who says the public doesn't care? ***I*** care that new officers are getting $35K for 5 whole years and I don't think it's fair.

First of all, we are discussing LOCAL politics here. If you would like to discuss the above, please join me at Politics and Other Controversies. You will find that I agree with you on the "greedy few at the top," but why try and take YOURS out of the already over-taxed hides of the middle class? Do I need to explain the concept that OVERCOMPENSATED public sector workers are bringing down the entire rest of the middle class on LI?

Why should ***I*** sacrifice more than I already am when we can find potential cops and teachers willing to work for modern times compensation to give you free healthcare and free pensions and cradle to grave job security, which are all totally outdated concepts? The public sector needs to stop leeching off the taxpayers' backs and start pulling their own weight (e.g., contributions to health care plans; if you want to retire before age 65, YOU pay your own health insurance AND YOU have to wait to get your pension until social security age, especially if you can still work, just like anyone in the private sector has to; 403bs INSTEAD of -- not in addition to -- pensions -- and more).
Oh, the drama. Bold lettering for emphasis, capital letters for effect. Paragraphs of rant straight from the pages of Newsday.

Funny, but for someone who makes as much money as a 10 year cop, you seem to have an awful lot of time on your hands to post in these threads ... day after day after day, hour after hour after hour. And all of your posts saying the same thing. Tell me how I can get a job like yours.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM

194 posts, read 444,818 times
Quote:

The bolded red quote is an interesting statement although inaccurate. Advertising is responsible for 80% of a newspaper's revenue while circulation is only 20%. A headline or photograph may stimulate newsstand sales for one day but an editorial buried in the middle of the paper does very little, if anything at all, to increase readership.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
The bolded red quote is an interesting statement although inaccurate. Advertising is responsible for 80% of a newspaper's revenue while circulation is only 20%. A headline or photograph may stimulate newsstand sales for one day but an editorial buried in the middle of the paper does very little, if anything at all, to increase readership.
20% is a lot when it comes to business or income. I'm sure if your salary was cut 20% you wouldn't be saying it was only cut 20%.

Furthermore, if Newsday readership was decreased any amount by more accurately reporting the news than revenue from advertisements would drop because they would be charging less per ad due to the decrease in readers. Unfortunately, sensational headlines sell.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM

194 posts, read 444,818 times
Quote:
20% is a lot when it comes to business or income. I'm sure if your salary was cut 20% you wouldn't be saying it was only cut 20%.

Furthermore, if Newsday readership was decreased any amount by more accurately reporting the news than revenue from advertisements would drop because they would be charging less per ad due to the decrease in readers. Unfortunately, sensational headlines sell.
There is a world of difference between an editorial which you mentioned in the original post I quoted and a headline which you are now correctly stating sells newspapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island