Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM

556 posts, read 1,447,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
I almost puked when during the rousting of the dudes in the park,when that one guy Det. Hairspray gets into a foot pursuit and then comes back saying " no way was I going to go in there ,its too dark" OMG..............
I watched it last night, the one guy looks like a desk cop, so I wouldnt have run after either(no backup). I dont know why they could have been arrested for drinking in the park(its a summons), I wouldnt have consented to having my picture taken(try taking one of them, SCPD KMA). Then again I wouldnt be in the park after dusk(maybe that was the offense) hanging out drinking.

It looked like they needed better police/staffing. They definatly seemed on the case, but always a step behind. Without that pretty neat database it seems they would be at a great disadvanatge.The coverage at the parade was very tacticful I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM

119 posts, read 257,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
I watched it last night, the one guy looks like a desk cop, so I wouldnt have run after either(no backup). I dont know why they could have been arrested for drinking in the park(its a summons), I wouldnt have consented to having my picture taken(try taking one of them, SCPD KMA). Then again I wouldnt be in the park after dusk(maybe that was the offense) hanging out drinking.

It looked like they needed better police/staffing. They definatly seemed on the case, but always a step behind. Without that pretty neat database it seems they would be at a great disadvanatge.The coverage at the parade was very tacticful I thought.
They don't need your consent to take a picture, you're in a public place and have no expectation of privacy.

You are right that we need better police staffing. We have half the amount of cops (literally) we did in the '80s. 2000 now vs 4000 then.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:02 PM

909 posts, read 1,840,442 times
Quote:

I wonder what would have happened if it were white HS kids doing the same. I remember NCPD roll up and break up the crowd but, never really give anyone a hard time. The show focused primarily on Houston. Most of the graffitti and acts of violence was just replayed over and over. I believe the coverage they had in Hempstead didn't really show anything at all. They didn't even show the encounter between the MS and 18th street. The Houston part was scary. That main guy showing off undisguised? Nuts.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:

I thought that database was great too. At least the cops are addressing it proactively.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,344,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I wonder what would have happened if it were white HS kids doing the same. I remember NCPD roll up and break up the crowd but, never really give anyone a hard time. The show focused primarily on Houston. Most of the graffitti and acts of violence was just replayed over and over. I believe the coverage they had in Hempstead didn't really show anything at all. They didn't even show the encounter between the MS and 18th street. The Houston part was scary. That main guy showing off undisguised? Nuts.
Back when I was a kid they would make you pour out the beer into the gutter and pick up any bottles if you had them lying around. The only difference is that they didn't take pictures of you.

Houston made up about 65% of the show because they actually got gangbangers there who were willing to be on camera. I liked the one who said, "EVERYBODY wants to hang out with us!" like they're so popular. Sure, pal, whatever! The Hempstead segments were about surveillance only. They were hoping a MS-13 member who killed someone would show up at the festival.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.N.Y. View Post
They don't need your consent to take a picture, you're in a public place and have no expectation of privacy.
I knew someone would say this(why i deleted it). I dont need to stand still for them either. But i suppose you would be "interfering with governmental procedure" or whatever BS they say these days.

Try taking one of them. SCPD pushed me down a flight of stairs(Didnt realize the flash was on) Same should apply to them(though they remove or cover their name badges at things like protest etc) I applaud CT for standing up for our right to record the activities of our civil servants.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/24/...photographers/

Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I knew someone would say this(why i deleted it). I dont need to stand still for them either. But i suppose you would be "interfering with governmental procedure" or whatever BS they say these days.

Try taking one of them. SCPD pushed me down a flight of stairs(Didnt realize the flash was on) Same should apply to them(though they remove or cover their name badges at things like protest etc) I applaud CT for standing up for our right to record the activities of our civil servants.
They took pictures of them instead of arresting them or giving them summonses for the violations they committed. Either way their picture gets taken so it's better to choose to do it the easy way.

As for SCPD that's for another thread.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.N.Y. View Post
They took pictures of them instead of arresting them or giving them summonses for the violations they committed. Either way their picture gets taken so it's better to choose to do it the easy way.

As for SCPD that's for another thread.
What would they be arrested for?

Also, if just a summons, Its not fair to now have your face in a gang database(what if another cop now mistakes you for a real memeber or w/e.). No one was booked so no need for the picture.

Its attitudes like this that your DNA is now taken in some places while you are booked. "If you got nothing to hide" is a slippery slope. I dont think people will get it until a camera is placed facing your front door/driveway monitoring and analyzing your movements, but your in "plain view" and shouldnt have "anything to hide" Right?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
What would they be arrested for?

Also, if just a summons, Its not fair to now have your face in a gang database(what if another cop now mistakes you for a real memeber or w/e.). No one was booked so no need for the picture.

Its attitudes like this that your DNA is now taken in some places while you are booked. "If you got nothing to hide" is a slippery slope. I dont think people will get it until a camera is placed facing your front door/driveway monitoring and analyzing your movements, but your in "plain view" and shouldnt have "anything to hide" Right?

A summons is given in lieu of arrest. Anything you can be summonsed for you can be arrested for. It's not fair that gang members are starting to become a plague on LI neighborhoods either. If you didn't want your face in a gang database you shouldn't be in a gang.

There is really is no mistaking who is a gang member and who isn't. They make it very obvious are are usually proud of their affiliation and won't deny membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island