Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I did all that nonsense myself. I was the first in my family not to be married in a church.
Which as an adult you can make whatever choices you wish to...

You can't ask a child to come up with a system of beliefs, if you believe in a system, you teach it to your children. If you dont, then you dont teach your children. If you teach your children a system of beliefs, they can make their own choice as an adult whether or not to believe in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
I let my children keep about 1/3 of theirs, the rest split between 529s and custodial savings accounts. You can't give an 8 year old $1-3k but even in this day and age, they feel pretty powerful in toys r' us with $300.

we have a very small family so when my youngest makes his net year, we are going to bring the closest family to dinner then having a bigger gathering back at the house.
I just the did exact same thing. Kid got some of the money around $200 and the rest is in his custodial account or 529s and some savings bonds.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
As a practicing Catholic who believes in what you call "hocus pocus", I take offense to people critizing my personal religious beliefs. Everyone is entitled to raise their children in whatever belief system they wish to. The children are free to make up their own mind when they grow up.

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe, however being criticial or mocking someone's else beliefs is uncalled for.

If you dont believe in it, fine, dont be critical of those who do. If you feel that strongly, then don't be a hypocrite and go to a party and give a gift for something you don't actually believe in.
Well I'm sorry I offended you but IMO there is a difference between raising your child for a future of making one's iwn belief system and raising your child with a half believed set of "rules" just because you go to church once a year.

And obviously none of this is directed towards you.

And everyone is entitled to their own opinion :-)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-07-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Well I'm sorry I offended you but IMO there is a difference between raising your child for a future of making one's iwn belief system and raising your child with a half believed set of "rules" just because you go to church once a year.

And everyone is entitled to their own opinion :-)

I never said going to Church once or 2x a year was the right way. We go to Mass just about every Sunday.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
I never said going to Church once or 2x a year was the right way. We go to Mass just about every Sunday.
You must have missed this.

Quote:

Old 05-07-2012, 09:52 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
We experienced it also when attending bar/bat mitzvah's. The expected gift price range is ridiculus...
Agreed. You may think christian weddings are expensive, just go to a bat mitzvah - especially in NJ where each family tries to upstage the other. One family I heard about spent 400K on their daughters party complete with an ancient medievil theme that involved horses and jousting!! Nuts!!! The expected gifts were nothing less than the $500 range mentioned by Kunk10. Imagine receiving 5 figure plus sums just for becoming of age, at age 14.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
There's nothing wrong about practicing whatever beliefs one has provided violence isn't a part of it . One has to wonder though, what sort of message is being sent to the flock when the dish (collection plate) is brought out 2x a session, not to mention the continued mailed appeals for money. It becomes ingrained in the youth - religion and money together; far from what one should infer from what is written in scripture. In that spirit, one can believe that the act of appearing at a celebration should not involve money at all. Of course, you run the risk of insulting the host. What times we live in.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
We are going to be the first as well. The amount of complaints I am receiving is astounding, especially since like I said earlier my family is not religious.

It's funny how kids just don't know better and parents push these things on them when they themselves do not follow it.

Oh well.

I am not overly religious, not a regular at church on Sunday morning. I feel that religious education is one more form of passing a family's traditions and values to the children. My children will receive/have received their sacraments and as they enter the adult world they will be able to decide for themselves if they wish to continue as a Catholic or not. My oldest has declared himself an atheist; we'll see what happens when the day comes and he marries.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
There's nothing wrong about practicing whatever beliefs one has provided violence isn't a part of it . One has to wonder though, what sort of message is being sent to the flock when the dish (collection plate) is brought out 2x a session, not to mention the continued mailed appeals for money. It becomes ingrained in the youth - religion and money together; far from what one should infer from what is written in scripture. In that spirit, one can believe that the act of appearing at a celebration should not involve money at all. Of course, you run the risk of insulting the host. What times we live in.

Well what about other religions that ask for a tithe? or Jews who charge to attend Holy Day services. Bills do have to be paid.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Well what about other religions that ask for a tithe? or Jews who charge to attend Holy Day services. Bills do have to be paid.
Nothing wrong with paying bills, but don't you think it's a bit extreme to pass the plate around 2x a session? Come on, who do they think they are fooling? The flock knows how to watch expenses, but the leaders are exempt? Here's a real example, my local parish decided a few years ago to undertake this great big capital campaign to raise significant funds for the "upgrade" of the pews, windows and to create an additional meeting place". Did they really need to do that? Now after exhausting the parishoners means, they annoy them by passing the plate around 2x every weekend leading people to go less and less as they become weary of the gimme-gimme. Toss in the annual appeal and now that the summer months are coming, here come the missions looking for guess what? Is it any wonder attendance is dropping off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island