Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Yes I would definitely consider it fast food. Fast casual, to be more specific, but it's fast food. I do enjoy it, I'm not knocking Chipotle, but you can pretty much throw a rock and hit at least one or two fast food joints on Long Island (which is what your original question was asking)
She specifically asked about the South Shore. From Green Acres until Lynbrook there are a few fast food places. Once I pass Lynbrook there isn't much. I've done the drive along Sunrise and really, there isn't all that much until you're in Merrick or just past Merrick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
She specifically asked about the South Shore. From Green Acres until Lynbrook there are a few fast food places. Once I pass Lynbrook there isn't much. I've done the drive along Sunrise and really, there isn't all that much until you're in Merrick or just past Merrick.
I live on the south shore. The further east you get, the more Sunrise turns into an actual highway and not a heavily populated major road.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:35 PM

428 posts, read 970,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I live on the south shore. The further east you get, the more Sunrise turns into an actual highway and not a heavily populated major road.
What I meant was chain restaurants. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant chain restaurants where you can sit and have a meal on the weekend aside from BK/McDonald's. Chain restaurants as opposed to local family owned restaurants that are deserted We frequent the area and can't find anything bedsides that one Fridays in Baldwin or Freeport/RVC

Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
There's a Chipolte in the Tanger outlets just a little north of Babylon.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Closest chipotle to Bellmore/Merrick etc is probably the one by Hofstra on Hempstead tpk. Need a closer one, chipotle is far better than crappy green cactus which hasn't been good since the old days in Roslyn.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
L-O-V-E Chipotle!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Part of the reason is because the Town of Islip does not want fast food chains on Montauk Highway. Existing locations such as the Taco Bell, Burger King, and KFC in Bay Shore and the McDonald's in Islip were "grandfathered" in. The other reason is because of good ol Long Island NIMBYism.

I would love to see a Chipotle closer to the south shore of Suffolk but it's never going to happen anytime soon unless the Town of Islip enters the 21st century. In fact there are numerous locations along Montauk Highway that would be great for a Chipotle but ...

The chains with smaller sized locations (ie: Subway, Quiznos, Five Guys, Green Cactus, etc) seem to be able to get around the zoning laws easier ... perhaps we should push for a "Chipotle Express" concept that would be able to fit inside of your standard LI strip mall storefront? If Quiznos and Subway can do it why not Chipotle?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
There's a Chipolte in the Tanger outlets just a little north of Babylon.
We were just there an hour ago at deer park and just finished my chipotle right now lol!! So funny you brought this up. We love deer park outlets so we frequent!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Closest chipotle to Bellmore/Merrick etc is probably the one by Hofstra on Hempstead tpk. Need a closer one, chipotle is far better than crappy green cactus which hasn't been good since the old days in Roslyn.
Def. need a closer chipotle! Green cactus is garbage-gross. And all of them look old and grimy

Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Part of the reason is because the Town of Islip does not want fast food chains on Montauk Highway. Existing locations such as the Taco Bell, Burger King, and KFC in Bay Shore and the McDonald's in Islip were "grandfathered" in. The other reason is because of good ol Long Island NIMBYism.

I would love to see a Chipotle closer to the south shore of Suffolk but it's never going to happen anytime soon unless the Town of Islip enters the 21st century. In fact there are numerous locations along Montauk Highway that would be great for a Chipotle but ...

The chains with smaller sized locations (ie: Subway, Quiznos, Five Guys, Green Cactus, etc) seem to be able to get around the zoning laws easier ... perhaps we should push for a "Chipotle Express" concept that would be able to fit inside of your standard LI strip mall storefront? If Quiznos and Subway can do it why not Chipotle?
Totally!!! Like the movie theatre they knocked down in green acres mall area. Or that green olive that opened for like 2 weeks in Lynbrook / sunrise highway. Whats up with that one? Perfect for chipotle and right across lirr

I'd love that idea about suggesting that. How would we go about doing that? I think I read somewhere once that chipotle doesn't allow any old franchise to be opened. In fact, they're controlled and don't sell them like a McDonald's or dunkin donuts would. We looked into it because of the lack of chipotles. My husband quickly shot down my idea- said its way too much work lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island