Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM

90 posts, read 216,796 times

Advertisements

God forbid you spend your money at an independently owned and operated establishment, lets only support the multinational conglomerate restraunts, I am also pretty sure that McDonalads Corp owns chipotle. One of the best parts abot LI is that you can avoid these places and get better quality food while also supporting a small business. Forgive me for getting on a soap box, but having lived in CA for a number of years i was forced to mainly go to the chains and HATE it. have you ever tried to get a bacon egg and cheese on a roll outside NY or NJ? you get a microwaved egg beater on wonder bread. There are so many good places to eat on LI, dont go to the chains.. end rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 01:27 AM

732 posts, read 1,735,392 times
This is particularly noticable when you get towards central Suffolk. How the hell isn't there a Five Guys or Chipotle? I'd kill for one of these in Patchogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
God forbid you spend your money at an independently owned and operated establishment, lets only support the multinational conglomerate restraunts, I am also pretty sure that McDonalads Corp owns chipotle. One of the best parts abot LI is that you can avoid these places and get better quality food while also supporting a small business. Forgive me for getting on a soap box, but having lived in CA for a number of years i was forced to mainly go to the chains and HATE it. have you ever tried to get a bacon egg and cheese on a roll outside NY or NJ? you get a microwaved egg beater on wonder bread. There are so many good places to eat on LI, dont go to the chains.. end rant
McDonald's hasn't owned Chipotle for years. And local places are hit or miss - especially with Mexican food.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:58 AM

236 posts, read 473,860 times
On a semi-related note, there is a Chipotle opening on Jericho Tpk in Syosset (and a Panera, and a TD Bank -- all within about 1/8 mile of each other).

Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Part of the reason is because the Town of Islip does not want fast food chains on Montauk Highway. Existing locations such as the Taco Bell, Burger King, and KFC in Bay Shore and the McDonald's in Islip were "grandfathered" in. The other reason is because of good ol Long Island NIMBYism.
We've had an IHOP closed here in Plainview for the longest time and an empty weed-infested lot still sits in its place. Recently the Burger King closed because the owner supposedly raised the rent... they're side-by-side. I would LOVE for there to be a bigger chain restaurant there instead of the awful eyesore it has & will become. Traffic on a weekend? So what - it's the weekend. I don't get why people keep saying NIMBY this and NIMBY that. People on the local town website commented the same - they want something big there.

What's worse than seeing a big old empty spot where retail used to be? That's just about the saddest sight to me. See a lot of that in Suffolk too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
And local places are hit or miss - especially with Mexican food.
yes, mostly MISS. God I am sick of spending $40+ and a night of freedom for trial and error. Homemade pasta sauce can be home-made and taste just as bad - why did we go out again?

Chain restaurants = you know what you're going to get. If you find a good sushi place, don't you always go back? Same concept with chains, except much more convenient since there's more than 1.

One of our favorite non-chain chains is Vincent's... they have great tasting home-made style food - huge portions at a good price, but they've got another in Manhattan. Tried and true, must make 2.

Sucks for the local mom & pops trying to compete, but we're out to eat, not keep Bob & Cathy on their feet.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-07-2012 at 06:12 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Someone please open a Chipotle near patchogue, Closest one is in Hauppauge... I need me my damn burrito bowl!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Def. need a closer chipotle! Green cactus is garbage-gross. And all of them look old and grimy

What? I've been to their locations in Stony Brook and Oakdale and the things I eat, they do much better than Chipotle. Their chicken tastes much better than Chipotle, better marinade.

Different strokes, I guess.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
While I agree generally with this, good non-chain Mexican food is few and far between on LI. I can think of Besito in Roslyn (which is expensive as hell) and Little Mexico in Westbury, probably Pancho's in Oceanside (also not cheap). Chipotle is better than most of the rest.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:10 AM

236 posts, read 473,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
While I agree generally with this, good non-chain Mexican food is few and far between on LI. I can think of Besito in Roslyn (which is expensive as hell) and Little Mexico in Westbury, probably Pancho's in Oceanside (also not cheap). Chipotle is better than most of the rest.
Oaxaca in Huntington.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,975,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Oh Besito is very good. Went there for an anniversary a few years back. I'd say it was worth the price.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
I can't believe how many people here are saying Green Cactus sucks. I can't speak for all their locations but the one on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon is pretty good. Ive never had a bad meal there. I like their chicken quesadilla with cheddar cheese. Ive been to the one in West Babylon on 109 and it was pure chaos ... it was not very organized. It's also much bigger than their North Babylon location.

As for Chipotle I would have to go with a chicken soft taco although im partial to the burrito bowl and the regular burrito with the barbacoa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island