Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
God forbid you spend your money at an independently owned and operated establishment, lets only support the multinational conglomerate restraunts, I am also pretty sure that McDonalads Corp owns chipotle. One of the best parts abot LI is that you can avoid these places and get better quality food while also supporting a small business. Forgive me for getting on a soap box, but having lived in CA for a number of years i was forced to mainly go to the chains and HATE it. have you ever tried to get a bacon egg and cheese on a roll outside NY or NJ? you get a microwaved egg beater on wonder bread. There are so many good places to eat on LI, dont go to the chains.. end rant
Well since a lot of 'chain' restaurants are owned and operated by local owners and employ local people, I dont see how having them is a bad thing, other that they pay franchise fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
God forbid you spend your money at an independently owned and operated establishment, lets only support the multinational conglomerate restraunts, I am also pretty sure that McDonalads Corp owns chipotle. One of the best parts abot LI is that you can avoid these places and get better quality food while also supporting a small business. Forgive me for getting on a soap box, but having lived in CA for a number of years i was forced to mainly go to the chains and HATE it. have you ever tried to get a bacon egg and cheese on a roll outside NY or NJ? you get a microwaved egg beater on wonder bread. There are so many good places to eat on LI, dont go to the chains.. end rant
Dang, way to go off on a rant without even checking your facts. McD's does NOT own chipotle. I'm not knocking the small local mom/pop's, but your soapbox rant is waaay out there. As if you're saying mom/pop shops are always better than corporate chains. Believe me, i go local when I can, but i've been to plently of places where I wonder how they're still in business! I'm sure you have too. Also, I don't know if you lived in CAnada or CAlifornia, but I am told by my colleagues in San Diego that they have some of the best mexican cuisine in the US, and I can't get it anywhere else because they're not served by corporate chains!

So, getting back on topic, if you have any advice on where I can get a comperable burrito bowl to Chipotle, please share with all of us.
Oh, and hey, you gotta give me credit for trying. I tried to support a local business that competes directly with Chipotle, Ghost Chili in Islandia. I was excited when they first opened. But sorry, they are not even close! I got the shrimp, which was pre-cooked, refrigerated, and reheated. total let down right there. but on top of that to add insult to injury, they didn't grill it long enough so the center will still COLD! Rice was cold, and vegetables selection left more to be desired. Cheap iron patio seating, was very crowded also took away from enjoying my food.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I can't believe how many people here are saying Green Cactus sucks. I can't speak for all their locations but the one on Deer Park Avenue in North Babylon is pretty good. Ive never had a bad meal there. I like their chicken quesadilla with cheddar cheese. Ive been to the one in West Babylon on 109 and it was pure chaos ... it was not very organized. It's also much bigger than their North Babylon location.

As for Chipotle I would have to go with a chicken soft taco although im partial to the burrito bowl and the regular burrito with the barbacoa.

Chipotle is solid and consistent, but their meat is boring and their sour cream watered down. Anyone who's ever had a Green Cactus Chicken Torta would not dream of saying that Chipotle is better.

One of the yelp reviews of a Green Cactus is from some taco bell loving idiot saying "their chicken was ORANGE!!" That's the MARINADE, YOU FOOL!! That's where the FLAVOR COMES FROM.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post

So, getting back on topic, if you have any advice on where I can get a comperable burrito bowl to Chipotle, please share with all of us.
Oh, and hey, you gotta give me credit for trying. I tried to support a local business that competes directly with Chipotle, Ghost Chili in Islandia. I was excited when they first opened. But sorry, they are not even close! I got the shrimp, which was pre-cooked, refrigerated, and reheated. total let down right there. but on top of that to add insult to injury, they didn't grill it long enough so the center will still COLD! Rice was cold, and vegetables selection left more to be desired. Cheap iron patio seating, was very crowded also took away from enjoying my food.
Ghost Chili is okay, better salsas than Chipotle, but again underwhelming chicken seasoning. Never had shrimp there. Chipotle doesn't even have shrimp if I'm not mistaken. Can't knock Ghos Chili on that one since Chipotle doesn't even try to offer variety.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Well since a lot of 'chain' restaurants are owned and operated by local owners and employ local people, I dont see how having them is a bad thing, other that they pay franchise fees.
Speaking only for Chipotle -- from what I have been reading, they are a chain and do not have franchises.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
@ Kayo, virtually all fast food restaurants nowadays are independent franchises owned by local people. Chipotle is one of the very few where every location is corporate owned. Something like 85-90% of McDonald's locations are franchises.

Chipotle and Green Cactus both have their strong points. Dammit now I am craving Chipotle!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Ghost Chili is okay, better salsas than Chipotle, but again underwhelming chicken seasoning. Never had shrimp there. Chipotle doesn't even have shrimp if I'm not mistaken. Can't knock Ghos Chili on that one since Chipotle doesn't even try to offer variety.
I tried the shrimp because that's what was recommended. If this was their main seller, way to let me down on that one! I'll knock them for selling it to me. I don't even want to go back and try the steak for an Apples-to-Apples comparison. I was that disappointed.

I agree with the chicken torta at Green Cactus. pretty solid stuff. The tortas at Pinatas in Bethpage are good too. I want one now.

Anyone on Yelp?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
This is particularly noticable when you get towards central Suffolk. How the hell isn't there a Five Guys or Chipotle? I'd kill for one of these in Patchogue.

McDonald's hasn't owned Chipotle for years. And local places are hit or miss - especially with Mexican food.
I Googled "Mexican Restuarants" near Franklin Square and all I got was Taco Bell lol...I actually had to go to Cozy Mel's for Mexican. We once went to a place on Sunrise (it was either Roc Center or Lynbrook) and I didn't care for it.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I tried the shrimp because that's what was recommended. If this was their main seller, way to let me down on that one! I'll knock them for selling it to me. I don't even want to go back and try the steak for an Apples-to-Apples comparison. I was that disappointed.

I agree with the chicken torta at Green Cactus. pretty solid stuff. The tortas at Pinatas in Bethpage are good too. I want one now.

Anyone on Yelp?
I am -- but I am a total noob with 2 reviews to date.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times
There is a Moes going to open in Rocky Point. It probably will be the highlight of the year in that hamlet.

There are a number of decent restaurants in Rocky Point but the locals rarely go to them. Most locals are the spandex and fast food crowd and Im sure Moes will suit them just fine and do very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island