Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 AM

5 posts, read 13,932 times

Advertisements

we saw a house in miller place that we fell in love with - any thoughts on that town - any thoughts on neighboring towns - preferably west of miller place? Schools are our #1 priority, but also want a great neighborhood with benefits for our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkilly View Post
we saw a house in miller place that we fell in love with - any thoughts on that town - any thoughts on neighboring towns - preferably west of miller place? Schools are our #1 priority, but also want a great neighborhood with benefits for our children.
That said, Miller Place, Mount Sinai, Port Jefferson Village, Setauket, and Stony Brooks are the towns along the north shore immediately west of Miller Place. All have fine school districts. Are you looking for a small district, large district? What sort of taxes are you looking/expecting to pay? Ethinic diversity? Proximity to hospitals? University? LIRR?

Each of those towns are different from one another. I love them all, so it's hard to be partial.

I live in Stony Brook, on the edge of the village. I'm into historical & old houses which I'm surrounded by, being able to walk to the water is a great plus, too. The school district is big and encompasses Stony Brook, Setauket, East Setauket, South Setauket, Old Field, Strongs Neck, Poquott, a smidge of Head of the Harbor and a smidge of Port Jefferson.

PJ Station is in another district which I don't know enough about to comment on, so I will leave that for someone who can.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:44 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Id look from Shoreham -Stony Brook

Use Wm Floyd as your East line.

Theyre all pretty good.

Not too sure about PJ Station though.

C

Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Whats your price range?

I'd pick Miller Place, Rocky Point, Stonybrook, Setauket.

We drove through Port Jeff yesterday and all I have to say is it is crossed off of my list. Around the RR it was illegal central

Old 10-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Whats your price range?

I'd pick Miller Place, Rocky Point, Stonybrook, Setauket.

We drove through Port Jeff yesterday and all I have to say is it is crossed off of my list. Around the RR it was illegal central
Thats PJ Station and its Fugly.

If your bored... go hang out at the Pathmark on a Friday night and watch "the Show".

Of the 4 listed you'll probably get the most bang for the buck in Rocky Point and Miller Place(check Sound Beach too)

Theyre all good.

C

Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post

If your bored... go hang out at the Pathmark on a Friday night and watch "the Show".
C
Clammy, don't you getting me miss Pathmark again!! It was very good entertainment.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Clammy, don't you getting me miss Pathmark again!! It was very good entertainment.
Best show in town.

Showtimes:

"Welcome to the Day Room" 10p -Mid

"Night of the living Baseheads" Mid-2a

"Illegal Wanderlust" 2a-6a

Popcorn Aisle 4

C

Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:

Of the 4 listed you'll probably get the most bang for the buck in Rocky Point and Miller Place(check Sound Beach too)

Theyre all good.

C
PJ Station is el fuglio -- c'mon: hablais espanol, por favor!

I believe the original poster wanted Miller Place and west -- or I would have mentioned RP, too!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
PJ Station is el fuglio -- c'mon: hablais espanol, por favor!

I believe the original poster wanted Miller Place and west -- or I would have mentioned RP, too!
A poor mans Huntington Station

As for RP/SB....its the same.
Exit 63 off the LIE.

Id go as far as Shoreham it were me.

C

Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default Rocky Point love fest...

Quote:
A poor mans Huntington Station

As for RP/SB....its the same.
Exit 63 off the LIE.

Id go as far as Shoreham it were me.

C

Gee whiz clammy, okay, okay, you love Rocky Point...we get it . And you are really pumping Shoreham lately... If the poster can check out a few more towns west might I suggest Smithtown schools where you can still get reasonable homes in the current market surplus (Nesconset in the Smithtown schools section for example) unless of course your budget is 300k, the it is still tough. Clam guy will lament the taxes in the township but having paid taxes in both Brookhaven and Smithtown, I will take the higher taxes and overall nicer township...just one man's opinion. Smithtown's main street, although very busy at times, is a nice little area and in my opinion the private north shore beaches are a nice plus, especially with my kids. They run extremely cheap summer programs from windsurfing to sandcastle building. We came from Manhattan, to Queens to Nassau to Suffolk and are very happy (could NEVER move back to Nassau now). In reference to the other areas discussed in thread, I agree that PJ station should be avoided and never thought much of Sound Beach (just my opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island