Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 AM

24 posts, read 87,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I was looking at that too.
Weird
I think the Software does it.

C
I run a pet forum also using the same forum software... and it doesn't automatically change thread titles. No big deal though, I don't care- I just thought it was hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Very competitive school, and there are plenty of threads that speak to the area, but some might say it is very snobby in some sections, and in your price range it might be tough to get into the area seeking what you like. In my opinion there are a large number of areas just as nice, if not nicer with solid schools, etc...
Is there a gross part of Dix Hills? Because I found two houses that look pretty nice, well within our price range.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,476 times
Default There are a few threads on Dix Hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeleyes1437 View Post
I found this in Dix Hills (it's a great distance from my family too)

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Is it a good area? What about the school district?
Fantastic schools, if you base it solely on test scores. I will let you make up your mind on the area and there are number of threads on the town you could search. Not to prejudice your viewpoint, but the one comment in the Dix Hills thread (I was considering a move there at one point) that struck me was a current homeowner of 8 years, who moved into the area said that in the first week, while doing some yardwork (mind you she had bought a house in the high 800's) she was approached by the neighbor across the way not for a "welcome to the neighborhood" chat, but to instead inform her that "we", meaning the neighbors, prefer that professional landscapers do the work on "our" properties...It can be a pretty snotty area, and I would have punched him in the head...so the area will not work for me. You can read the thread and decide. It also borders some rough areas, but that has little impact on the schools which are very strong, it actually adds some diversity.

I would venture to guess they would not make an animal rescuer, who might allow her dogs to run around in the backyard (as is your right) feel like they fit in, and the idea of having my daughter come home from kindergarten asking why she doesn't have a Louis Vuitton bag would drive me nuts. We have friends in the district, I could afford to be there, but I wanted an area where it was a mix of professionals and successful working folks who appreciated their schools and were still down to earth in certain areas. Dix Hills didn't fit that bill for me.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Check the map...

Quote:
Is there a gross part of Dix Hills? Because I found two houses that look pretty nice, well within our price range.
They most likely border Wheatley Heights...very rough area. But you would still be in good schools. I just posted a long rant for your review on Dix Hills. I am not a fan at all. If you are not looking to be surrounded by marginal areas, like in your current situation, Dix Hills would not fit the bill.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:38 AM

I appreciate your input very much. IMO, if I have a securely gated yard it's none of their damn business if my dogs run in it! I wouldn't let my dog off our property unleashed because it's irresponsible (we're very responsible doggy parents). So if someone actually said something to me about what was going on in my secure and privacy fenced yard they could kiss my little white butt Meanwhile, my dog probably has FAR more professional training than their kids!

Who knows- maybe by the time we have kids we'll move (since we'll have a lot more money to put down on a house once we sell the house here in two or three years). I don't like the idea of having kids feeling that material things make or break them... though I grew up in a similar kind of area and never let it shape who I was!

It's good to know though, and if I go look at the house I could always try to meet the neighbors before making an opinion!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
They most likely border Wheatley Heights...very rough area. But you would still be in good schools. I just posted a long rant for your review on Dix Hills. I am not a fan at all. If you are not looking to be surrounded by marginal areas, like in your current situation, Dix Hills would not fit the bill.

OHhhh Well that stinks because I really liked a house I just found.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:20 PM

Default New construction

Quote:
OHhhh Well that stinks because I really liked a house I just found.
One of your links was to a nice colonial victorian in the mid 400's. It lists a Deer Park post office though, so you need to be certain of the schools. Also, the taxes are noted as 7000; there is zero chance that new construction in that township will be 7k. IMO you would be looking at a minimum of 12-13k, and I am being conservative.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks! Well I was on the phone with my sister and she was telling me to look at West Islip and West Babylon. I found some nice houses in West Babylon within our price range too, with decent taxes (about 8 thousand). But I heard there was a "bad part" of Babylon... so it worries me.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:24 PM

BTW- the house I found in Dix Hills that I really liked ended up to be bordering Wheatley Heights

Old 10-20-2007, 12:29 PM

Default The "West's"

Quote:
Thanks! Well I was on the phone with my sister and she was telling me to look at West Islip and West Babylon. I found some nice houses in West Babylon within our price range too, with decent taxes (about 8 thousand). But I heard there was a "bad part" of Babylon... so it worries me.

Have family in West Islip. Very nice...seems to me to be very italian (my in-laws are italian). Some of the areas in and along the inlet and bays are beautiful. My mother in-law was in a 55+ for a while in West Babylon. It was fine. I think you'll find if you visit both areas that West Islip is nicer overall (I strongly feel that way...but I am trying to let you decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island