Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM

5,056 posts, read 3,956,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Given the recent incidents around the country, do you feel that the schools in your district are secure enough? If so, why? If not, what can be done better?
How many armed intruders have there been in the hundreds of Long Island elementary, middle, and high schools over the last 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 PM

126 posts, read 222,134 times
I can't help but think back toa year ago when a man tried to rob a pharmacy in Nassau county. An off-duty ATF agent was accidentally shot by a retired police officer when both tried to intervene in the robbery. Both of them were well trained and familiar with using guns on daily basis and yet this tragic thing happened.

Arming teachers? No thank you.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
I think a simple and cost effective thing would be to have police, as part of their normal tour, stop in randomly at each of the schools a couple of times a day and walk the halls.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 PM

36 posts, read 142,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
I can't help but think back toa year ago when a man tried to rob a pharmacy in Nassau county. An off-duty ATF agent was accidentally shot by a retired police officer when both tried to intervene in the robbery. Both of them were well trained and familiar with using guns on daily basis and yet this tragic thing happened.

Arming teachers? No thank you.

Your absolutely right...Even when the right people are in the right places, things will always go wrong...and thats something that will continue to happen no matter what we do with school security going forward...or for anything in life for that matter...

Separate Tangent:
I went to a school district in Westchester that had the D.A.R.E program quite active in all schools and there were two police officers dedicated to the areas 5 schools. I know its not 24/7 security but the idea of police officers visiting schools frequently is a great idea I think. I am sure that retired police officers wouldnt mind volunteering for the job either.

I for one am not for taking away guns from law abiding citizens. Its a slippery slope when rights start to be become striped away. People get wrapped around axle over "Assault Weapon" and think just because the military uses them that they are overkill to own for private citizens...Well I ask everyone, would you go to a knife fight with a rock or a really big gun? My example isnt the greatest but what I mean is when someone is coming after me and my family with a knife, I want a gun, when they have a gun, I want a bigger gun...They all go bang and all require an "Operator" to make them work...

Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Do you think one day you will say that about condos on Long Island?
Only when i move off of it then it can sink for all i care.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Default Armed Guards

I am in NO way putting a price tag on what happened a few weeks ago.

However, could you imagine what our taxes would be with our corrupt system? There will be treads on here on how much these guards are paid, benefits, salaries, days off, pensions, how much our taxes went up ect.... Just like every other civil servant/gov posting here.

Teachers with a gun? No thanks. Thats asking for more trouble. Private guards, no thanks (reason above).
Do I believe in tighter security, absolutely! Just like many years ago inside banks. They use to have armed guards, there were more killings with them than without them. That's why there not there anymore.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
How many armed intruders have there been in the hundreds of Long Island elementary, middle, and high schools over the last 10 years?
How many were there in Connecticut before last month? How many were in Colorado before Columbine?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:19 PM

520 posts, read 1,653,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
How many were there in Connecticut before last month? How many were in Colorado before Columbine?
Does one incident justify arming teachers or putting guns inside of a school? My daughter is too young to be in public school, but when old enough I would fight having guns in the hands of teachers or someone who hasn't had a lifetime of training with firearms. If they want a cop or someone similar in a school I would be ok. Anything else is not worth the risk to me. These things don't happen with enough frequency. I know someone from CT would say otherwise.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
The high school in my town has always had someone standing outside questioning everyone besides a school bus why they were on school property. They aren't armed, but I'm sure it wouldn't take much $$ to change that. Then you have to sign in at a desk when tou walk that is manned by a senior citizen(not much of a deterrent). I don't know about the elementary and middle schools.

I would be against and don't see a reason in arming every teacher. Who says a teacher can't have a bad day? Not to mention you are making a handgun accessible to a crazy student in every room. Why bring a gun to school if you can steal your teachers?
How many teachers now own and use guns, do you think it would be NONE.

When i go to the range from now on i'll make it a point to see what everyone there does for a living.

IM sure there are atleast a few teachers probably in every school that are shooters.

Quote:
I don't know if an armed guard could stop a madman, but at least it is something. It might be a little deterrent. Maybe a trained shooter will beat a nut. I was just saying what my local high school has. With the rate that these things happen, I don't think you can justify having 50 guns in every school in the hands of teachers who probably have never held a gun.
Now your seeing the PROBLEM, you can stop a madman if you are prepared, but you think taking AWAY is going to save you.. Keep reading this...
A proper person for the job could stop a madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Schools will be 100% safe once we ban "Assault" weapons.

At the very least, we more of them "Gun free zone" signs.
I'll never understand how people believe that banning something will make it all safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

I can't remember how many but there have been a few, i remember one just recently starting at a game on school property...

BUT here is the thing....that no one see's

Put in those bullet proof doors, those windows, but still no active prevention on grounds and not allowing those teachers who want to and are proficient with one to have it...

Now here is how the person hell bent on killing thinks, they want to kill and they want the least opposition, so surely none head to the police dept....

But you got your wish and you have a locked down school and camera's all over to CATCH this...so you can watch it over and over....

He barrels into the building with a car, right thru the bullet proof doors, or better yet right thru the kindergarten classroom wall...
He's inside and starts shooting away at everything in front of the barrel at close range, can't miss unopposed....

It's like having a brick and a 5 gallon pail with 100 flies with no wings and you just get to drop the brick at your leisure and kill them all...

So you got your 500,000 upgraded doors and windows at the main entrance and other entrances points and exits...
But you didn't have any armed shooters where they needed to be..... INSIDE. . . .

That's awesome, even worse would be a person hell bent on killing REALLY using their head, and im not about to put the details for some asshat to see it here and try it out, just like 9-11 there was something easier that would have killed tens of thousands but they were hell bent on removing the twin towers.

So now you need another million or probably more for anti car bollard devices...

When what you really need to do is to allow those teachers or staff that have guns to maybe do some slight training with the police and now another simple and easy task ... have the police use the school for bathrooms and changing out shifts.

Having the police use the schools for bathroom use and shift change would be something that could deter many mental patients hell bent on killing to try another target..

As for the assault weapon bs, the right person with a bolt action can kill enough people as the mental patient in Conn did with a semi auto, a true assault rifle depending on the one used and the mental patient using it won't be as accurate as a semi or bolt action, a mental patient hell bent on killing can walk in with a bolt action have 8 in his hand go thru whats in that mag throw in another 2, 3, 4 at time quick enough that you can't get close enough before the barrel is on you again and disarming him without a gun...

Having a person with a gun on staff won't save everyone, but it will save more, having a person who's only job is to look for that mental patient would and should stop them from ever gaining entry or getting them as they race thru the doors without any student or admin getting hurt.

A person hell bent on killing isn't walking up to the door or window without being seen with a weapon.
Just like in Conn, locked doors, shot his way in, then shot every unarmed person looking to stand in front of that barrel and make it easier, it also helps to pay attention to your surroundings wherever you are.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
Quote:
Does one incident justify arming teachers or putting guns inside of a school? My daughter is too young to be in public school, but when old enough I would fight having guns in the hands of teachers or someone who hasn't had a lifetime of training with firearms. If they want a cop or someone similar in a school I would be ok. Anything else is not worth the risk to me. These things don't happen with enough frequency. I know someone from CT would say otherwise.
'

Now that is not a good argument, or even a good comparison to say a leo is the better person with a gun, i know many many police and i shoot better than quite a few of them, and even moving live targets, there are some police that are very professional constantly training and shoot very well, and there are many that can't shoot well at all.
Not every person that is a leo is right for the job... many leo are on that job because of what the job offers and not for what they always wanted to do.

I never went into le but i have been around professional shooters all my life and been shooting since probably 12 was when my father and grandfather 1st allowed me to shoot one, even though i had been at every competitive comp he went to since i was born.
But i also have friends that have been around them as long and aren't nearly as good at all and are somewhat careless and not that serious

It's like some teachers shouldn't be teaching and some mechanics shouldn't be mechanics, the title doesn't always make you the best at what that title is..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island