Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't believe they actually were proposing armed guards inside schools, COPS stands for Community Oriented Policing Services and included social services to spot high risk students. Anyway it was defeated. NY City uses the NYP ands unarmed security to cover schools, not sure if LI does the same.
The program placed police officers in some schools as well as increased support personnel such as social services.
Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The program placed police officers in some schools as well as increased support personnel such as social services.
Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools - Los Angeles Times
I don't believe the police officers were armed, the article indicates 2200 officers were already placed in schools, I don't think there are any schools with armed police inside.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
If you're a cop on the clock you're carrying. Otherwise, what's the point? This was proposed after Columbine; I would wager Clinton wanted armed police.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-14-2013, 04:56 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you're a cop on the clock you're carrying. Otherwise, what's the point? This was proposed after Columbine; I would wager Clinton wanted armed police.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Clinton was the first president to push for armed guards in schools. Problem is a money issue. Even at minimum wage and only 1 guard per school you're looking into billions of dollars.

People against allowing otherwise legally allowable people to be legally armed within a school are under some sort of illusion that law abiding citizens are the regular problem. In fact law abiding carry people are not only less likely to commit ANY crime vs the regular population they are also LESS LIKELY THEN POLICE OFFICERS to break the law (and this is vs. charges filed, and we all know the leeway given to police with charges being filed). Not only are they law abiding, but they are less likely to shoot the wrong person and less likely to have collateral damage vs police instances.

Facts are facts, trying to ignore them is getting people killed daily in NY.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:22 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Quote:
These are difficult situations for anyone, even the well trained. Many think they can handle the situation but how do you prepare for once in a lifetime event that you never experienced and in all likelyhood will never happen. Schools need to show diligence to protect but putting guns inside schools (NRA solution) is the last thing we need. We have never had a an incident on LI, putting guns inside schools for something so remote will do more damage than good.

I have been involved with guns all my life, i have been where criminals came up and pulled a gun and a knife a few times and i have been mistaken identity by police..

The only one of the 6 incidents where i REALLY feared for my life was being surrounded by 6 idiot cops not in control screaming at me at the end of 6 9mm's...ALL because they reacted without thinking, i came closer to dying that day than when a criminals attempted

Not the other 5 idiots where only one barely stabbed me.

There are guns in schools in other areas, and there isn't no MORE DAMAGE....

Having a gun in school is not more damaging then having none and well we can see just how well that worked in CT vs Miss school shootings, also since the gun free zones law was enacted in 1995 has this school shootings started .....

Do you need to ask why.... gun free means the only one with is the criminal... so since that stupidity was put into effect we had lots of school incidents, and in Hauppauge hs im pretty sure they had 2 students wounded and in shirley there was also 1 wounded in the HS... so i don't know where you say NEVER on long island...

But yeah stop a gun wielding criminal without a gun, watch the body count grow as you can't do anything....

Last edited by LIMA; 01-15-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Clinton was the first president to push for armed guards in schools. Problem is a money issue. Even at minimum wage and only 1 guard per school you're looking into billions of dollars.

People against allowing otherwise legally allowable people to be legally armed within a school are under some sort of illusion that law abiding citizens are the regular problem. In fact law abiding carry people are not only less likely to commit ANY crime vs the regular population they are also LESS LIKELY THEN POLICE OFFICERS to break the law (and this is vs. charges filed, and we all know the leeway given to police with charges being filed). Not only are they law abiding, but they are less likely to shoot the wrong person and less likely to have collateral damage vs police instances.

Facts are facts, trying to ignore them is getting people killed daily in NY.

Exactly, most citizens with the ability to carry legally CC permit aren't pulling out for every dopey issue, and then there are the legal citizens that carry for there protection and not CC permitted.

Which i can agree with those people as the permit to get a CC is insane, most people are held up for as little as $20 not $10,000 as the CC requires you must have that amount on you.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:11 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
I have been involved with guns all my life, i have been where criminals came up and pulled a gun and a knife a few times and i have been mistaken identity by police..

The only one of the 6 incidents where i REALLY feared for my life was being surrounded by 6 idiot cops not in control screaming at me at the end of 6 9mm's...ALL because they reacted without thinking, i came closer to dying that day than when a criminals attempted

Not the other 5 idiots where only one barely stabbed me.

There are guns in schools in other areas, and there isn't no MORE DAMAGE....

Having a gun in school is not more damaging then having none and well we can see just how well that worked in CT vs Miss school shootings, also since the gun free zones law was enacted in 1995 has this school shootings started .....

Do you need to ask why.... gun free means the only one with is the criminal... so since that stupidity was put into effect we had lots of school incidents, and in Hauppauge hs im pretty sure they had 2 students wounded and in shirley there was also 1 wounded in the HS... so i don't know where you say NEVER on long island...

But yeah stop a gun wielding criminal without a gun, watch the body count grow as you can't do anything....

There are no guns inside schools on LI or NY City, if Clinton put armed guards in schools it didn't happen here. I don't recall any shootings of students on LI inside a school maybe you have more information.

These people are crazy, they could care less if they are in a gun free zone,they are going to kill themselves. There are plenty of examples of people carrying guns where shootings took place that were ineffective. Plenty of people think they can solve a situation with a gun, not that easy in real life to make a split second decsion that could kill innocent children or other bystandes. Even professionally trained LE have a difficult time.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
The district I work for decided last night to just continue security as is now. Building entry cards for employees and a receptionist who buzzes people in. Why? Very simple. No money.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,300 times
massapequa high school always had security.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
There are no guns inside schools on LI or NY City, if Clinton put armed guards in schools it didn't happen here. I don't recall any shootings of students on LI inside a school maybe you have more information.

These people are crazy, they could care less if they are in a gun free zone,they are going to kill themselves. There are plenty of examples of people carrying guns where shootings took place that were ineffective. Plenty of people think they can solve a situation with a gun, not that easy in real life to make a split second decsion that could kill innocent children or other bystandes. Even professionally trained LE have a difficult time.
I can find hundreds of incidents where a armed good guy did stop more people from being killed.

People going to kill themselves and make a horrible choice and ruin other peoples lives ODDLY enough do not go to a police station or shooting range or gun store where there are WITHOUT a doubt other guns, but oddly enough since the gun free zone nonsense was made a law they have been USING schools ever since... check it out yourself and see what the truth really is.
A killer looking to make everyones life miserable isn't going to do it where he/she can be stopped before ever having the chance.
Clinton had the idea, but it never happened.. Schools here had issues one was just 2 years ago and the other a few before that...
Amazing what you don't know and how it's not reported either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
The district I work for decided last night to just continue security as is now. Building entry cards for employees and a receptionist who buzzes people in. Why? Very simple. No money.
That worked so good for the CT school, here is the stupidity in that false security... there is NO security without active defense.
Apparently you do not know CT shooting, locked doors there too, and a receptionist.. and a unarmed principal and teacher... locked doors and unarmed EVERYONE, except one person...
So he walks to the school shoots the locked door open and kicks his way in, only to shoot an unarmed TARGET, all unarmed persons are called EASY targets, so he shoots the receptionist the principal and other teacher, now had Ms Soto had a gun she was now alerted to the issue by multiple warning shots that killed 3 other people at this point, she now has the upper hand and is ready for the maniac coming for her next...

NOPE, gun free zone, locked doors, receptionist.. WHATS to worry...

Like i explained to mccarthy, the only safety is you being prepared and arming yourself, not laws that keep those that are good from keeping themselves safe, had her husband or son had a gun that day her husband may be alive, or someone else on that train.
Had Ms Soto had a gun she would be alive and so would those kids.

But you're right locked doors and unarmed bodies walking halls or looking for a id card at a door are the answer to safety against a hell bent person looking to spread misery.

I'll stick to carrying quietly and in the event i need it, i am alive and not a memorial name somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island