Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:00 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,809 times

Advertisements

the people here are far friendlier than they were in franklin square fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have always thought South Shore people were more down to earth and sociable than North Shore people but maybe that is me and maybe that is b/c on the whole NS is richer than SS.

Billy Joel obviously agrees: "Either date a rich girl from the North Shore or a cool girl from the South Shore." Pick your battles wisely. More people on the north shore are snooty I feel than the people are on the south shore- of course there are both types on both shores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM

couldn't agree more. This is not politically correct but my kids were far ahead those being raised by nannies who spoke english as a second or 3rd language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Kudos to you AndreaII.

While I have nothing against the working mom, I think the stay at home mom has a harder job.

Its a small sample size, but among the children I see in my condo in brookyln, there is a definitive difference in behavior and even language skill in a kid that was raised by a nanny/baby sitter/day care versus mother.

I'm fortunate enough that my income does not require my wife to work. My wife gladly "retired" from her job the day she married me and she hated the corporate grind.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:06 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
I don't know that I would agree with that. I've seen just the opposite myself. My kids were in daycare since they were babies, because we need the 2 incomes to survive, and they have and are still doing wonderfully in school. I know lots of stay at home moms w/nannies that do nothing but their nails and the gym.

On a side note, remember the taxes on LI are sky high, you wife may need to work after all just to afford that, especially in the area you are looking.
Like I said, my observations are only a small sample size, so it doesnt mean anything. You have to work to feed the babies so I have nothing against that.

Regarding taxes, I've done the calculatons. In my situation paying 15-20k in Nassau property taxes is far cheaper then the NYC income tax I pay. When you add 24k of potential private schooling, Nassau county property taxes seem like a bargain.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
the people here are far friendlier than they were in franklin square fwiw
Franklin Sq is not south shore... it's in the middle. I actually think it's further north b/c it's close to NHP.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 PM

technically I suppose but its closer to the southern state

Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Regarding taxes, I've done the calculatons. In my situation paying 15-20k in Nassau property taxes is far cheaper then the NYC income tax I pay. When you add 24k of potential private schooling, Nassau county property taxes seem like a bargain.
How many cars do you have now? Most families on LI have two. I don't know your exact situation but I'll assume the typicaly Brooklyn family likely has one car at the most...so adding a car will be an additional expense. Then you have to add in your monthly train ticket (gotta be about 3,000 a year with the new increses). Not to mention additional insurance on a house vs. a condo. Also, in many parts of the city the k-8 programs are very strong and you only have to pay the big money for high school. Not to mention that the properties where the taxes are 15-20k are likely to be 20-25k in the not so distant future. Don't get me wrong, many people do the move out to LI from the city (myself included), but the comparison includes a little more than NYC income tax vs. Nassau property tax.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Franklin Sq is not south shore... it's in the middle. I actually think it's further north b/c it's close to NHP.
yeah, it's directly SOUTH of NHP, not to mention south of the LIE, south of Jericho, and mostly south of Hempstead Turnpike. But why let maps and things get in the way?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
I see questions like this all the time on my "home" forum, and what I will say to you is this kind of thing doesn't just vary from town to town or neighborhood to neighborhood, but sometimes street by street. My old street in NY - forget, people didn't talk to each other. And there was some intense dislike amongst certain people, and it felt like high school at times. Maybe because they all actually went to HS together?? I don't know. But go one street over and it was one big happy family.

At any rate there are opportunities for moms to meet, if your wife is open to it and outgoing she will probably do fine. But if she tends to be a wall flower or has social anxieties it's going to be tough.

I think more and more, even in wealthy communities, you're going to see women working even if it's just part time. I saw a huge difference in the amount of working moms between when my oldest and youngest were born. I also found a lot of women in the position Andrea talked about - out of the working game for a decade or more and thinking taking a class in Word or Excel would help them get back in the door. Forget it. Just food for thought.

Good luck.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Garden City is between FS and NHP - but FS is closer to the Southern state than the Northern.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,541,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
How many cars do you have now? Most families on LI have two. I don't know your exact situation but I'll assume the typicaly Brooklyn family likely has one car at the most...so adding a car will be an additional expense. Then you have to add in your monthly train ticket (gotta be about 3,000 a year with the new increses). Not to mention additional insurance on a house vs. a condo. Also, in many parts of the city the k-8 programs are very strong and you only have to pay the big money for high school. Not to mention that the properties where the taxes are 15-20k are likely to be 20-25k in the not so distant future. Don't get me wrong, many people do the move out to LI from the city (myself included), but the comparison includes a little more than NYC income tax vs. Nassau property tax.
Now that you mention it, car ownership will be cheaper in LI for me.
I have two cars in Brooklyn. The beater car I park in the street, the nice one I pay $300/month for garage parking. So there is another $3600 in savings. I don't plan on taking the LIRR, I drive to work.

BUT, I do get the overall point of what you are saying though, and I am not expecting Nassau to be magically cheaper. If I was expecting cheaper living, I'd move to Texas instead of the North Shore. I know its expensive to live anywhere in the metropolitan area. For me, there just seems more value for the money in Nassau county compared to prime yuppified northern Brookyln.

Anyway, my question isn't about the cost of living in NYC vs LI, its expensive regardless.
I just want to make sure my wife won't go stir crazy in LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island