Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 02:03 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Now that you mention it, car ownership will be cheaper in LI for me.
I have two cars in Brooklyn. The beater car I park in the street, the nice one I pay $300/month for garage parking. So there is another $3600 in savings. I don't plan on taking the LIRR, I drive to work.

BUT, I do get the overall point of what you are saying though, and I am not expecting Nassau to be magically cheaper. If I was expecting cheaper living, I'd move to Texas instead of the North Shore. I know its expensive to live anywhere in the metropolitan area. For me, there just seems more value for the money in Nassau county compared to prime yuppified northern Brookyln.

Anyway, my question isn't about the cost of living in NYC vs LI, its expensive regardless.
I just want to make sure my wife won't go stir crazy in LI.
she won't go stir crazy. Not by a long shot. the only difference is 99% of the activities will likely include a drive of some sort as opposed to being able to walk and meet friends, go shopping, etc. There is certainly more value in terms of property/house size. But I do know the taxes are chasing many folks back to the 5 boroughs for many of the reasons I discussed. But everyone's situation is different.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Quote:
Now that you mention it, car ownership will be cheaper in LI for me.
I have two cars in Brooklyn. The beater car I park in the street, the nice one I pay $300/month for garage parking. So there is another $3600 in savings. I don't plan on taking the LIRR, I drive to work.

BUT, I do get the overall point of what you are saying though, and I am not expecting Nassau to be magically cheaper. If I was expecting cheaper living, I'd move to Texas instead of the North Shore. I know its expensive to live anywhere in the metropolitan area. For me, there just seems more value for the money in Nassau county compared to prime yuppified northern Brookyln.

Anyway, my question isn't about the cost of living in NYC vs LI, its expensive regardless.
I just want to make sure my wife won't go stir crazy in LI.
If you want a cheaper, but yet very good family neighborhood without leaving Brooklyn you should look into Bay Ridge. Very nice vibe in that area. My wife lived there many years ago and personally I like it more than LI.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM

344 posts, read 717,931 times
Quote:

I really really hated Great Neck growing up which is one reason why I love living in Brooklyn. If it wasn't for the kid, I'd never leave Brookyln.
Then don't consider Manhasset. PW may be your best bet. The commute is fine, to midtown.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM

138 posts, read 379,411 times
We are recent transplants in LI having moved from queens just 2 months ago. My daughter is in kindergarten. We've already attended 3 birthday parties with the fourth to come next week for her school friends. So there are plenty of opportunities to meet other moms in the community and set up play dates.

Not that I think it matters, but we live on the South Shore of LI.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
There are SAHM all over LI in all different socio-economic classes. Some women work because they want to. Some women work because they cannot afford not to. Some women don't work because they can't afford to. And some women don't work because they don't want to and can afford not to. If this subject interests you, I suggest you watch the new PBS documentary, Makers.

85Dumbo, once your child gets a few months older, there will be many opportunites for "baby" classes through the Y, Gymboree, Music Together, Church programs. Most young mothers make many friends through their children. Many mothers will organize their own playgroups, rotating the location at each mother's house. And some mothers become friends with the nanny, but what's wrong with that if you have similar interests? When your child becomes a toddler, there are even more activities possible, including free ones at the library. She will also meet other mothers at the playground. She will have ample opportunities to make friends. The kindergarten age is when many SAHM start to consider going back to work part-time or full-time and then sometimes you do tend to lose contact.

Now, forgive me if I play marriage counselor for a minute. The problem will not be finding other moms for coffee, mall excursions, and taking the kids to a children's matinee. The problem is that Mommies get to the breaking point where everyday is so child-oriented that you are ready to curse out Big Bird. Mommies need time off on their own to pursue grown-up stuff, as well as date nights with hubby and double date night with other couples. That is your job. When Momma is happy, everyone is happy.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM

41 posts, read 117,627 times
I live in Port Washington. There is a lot of diversity here (Port has a lot of immigrants from many different countries and it also has economic diversity -although most people seem to be upper middle class). There are a lot of stay at home mothers. Full time day care options in Port is limited - there are very few full time day care centers and they have waiting lists) - for that reason many parents of young children who are working have nannies. There is a lot to do in Port Washington for mother's of young children - take a (mommy and me) class at the Parent Resource Center on Main Street (in the Landmark building), The Library is 5 star/ excellent -they offer free classes for young children and their accompanied parent (note the library's free classes often fill up early and there is a waiting list), in the Summer time the Manorhaven Pool is very popular with young children (it cost about $250 for a family to join for the summer ) there are also some other nice parks. There are lots of volunteering opportunities in town: the elementary schools (sometimes because there are so many stay at home mothers who like to volunteer for activities they have to pick names out of a hat), the PRC, the North Shore Animal Shelter, Scouting, etc). The public schools in Port are very academic and test oriented. In the upper grades of elementary school -there is a lot of homework and projects parents can help their children with at home. It seems to me that some of the teachers send home the more difficult work to be studied and they do not fully cover the material in class (spelling test, memorizing the multiplication table and studying for classroom test all seem to be home responsibilities. So children may need to be tutored, (some parents hire private tutors - I often see tutors working with children in the public library). Also I recommend checking out web sites like greatschools.com (some of the elementary schools in Port score significantly different from one another. It you love to walk and to be close to things in town - I suggest buying a house somewhat close to Main Street. Port Washington is small, it is a walkable town, but there aren't that many stores here. Stores like Costco and Home Depot, Toys R Us are in Westbury (a 25 minute drive). Northern Boulevard in Manhasset has some stores Macy's, Barnes and Noble and Staples, etc. I was a stay at home mom until my youngest when off to kindergarten. I got bored being home all day and decided to go back to work. Port is nice, but it's still a small town. Also the train station has a lack of parking for late morning commuters. Also I recommend checking out Yahoo Port Washington Parents Group.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM

40 posts, read 70,270 times
You must be careful with long island, ny especially in suffolk county, ny. There are places where the ground is bad and it attaracts many bad things. Witch covens have been in suffolk county, ny for many hundreds of years. It can be very dangerous. It can be especially dangerous for young children and babys and mothers who are expecting.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverangel80 View Post
You must be careful with long island, ny especially in suffolk county, ny. There are places where the ground is bad and it attaracts many bad things. Witch covens have been in suffolk county, ny for many hundreds of years. It can be very dangerous. It can be especially dangerous for young children and babys and mothers who are expecting.
Absolutely

Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,535 times
truer words were never spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverangel80 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island