Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM

13 posts, read 27,527 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently looked at a home for sale on Woodchuck Lane in what is known as the Critter Section in East Setauket. This section has some very strange looking hi-ranches and "mushroom houses". We have a plan if we were to buy this particular hi-ranch to completely re-do it from top to bottom, inside and out, adding a porch, etc and making it our dream home. This house is so ugly now, but we have an amazing builder who can make it gorgeous, so I am not worried about the house we will be getting, but more so the neighborhood and the reputation. The neighborhood, although the homes are either really flat rectangular hi-ranches or those even stranger looking mushroom houses with huge roofs, is a well kept area. It seems that everyone keeps their yards really nice and a lot of people have updated their homes to make them look so much nicer. I saw old forums on here calling it the ghetto of East Setauket. LOL! I never knew that any area in Three Village could be considered the ghetto, but if any area was I would think it would be more apt to be South Setauket, aka Centereach, not the Critter Section!
The reason we want to buy here is for the schools, my kids will be starting K in 2015.
I want a neighborhood with lots of kids and I know that there are many areas of Setauket that are wealthy, I do not want my kids to feel like they live in the ghetto as they get older! I also want to instill in them that it doesn't matter if they are RICH as long as they are happy, but I worry too about them getting made fun of or something if they live in the Critter Section.

Can someone please provide some insight? Am I worrying too much or is this not so nice of an area?? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,839 times
Why is it called critter section? Is it because of pests? Where is the name from?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I think it has to do with the names of the streets : Woodchuck, Ringneck et. al.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
The area is fine...not the nicest part of town..but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 AM

It is called the critter section because of the street names....but other than the old posts I have read calling it the ghetto of East Setauket....anyone else have more insight? Are there lots of families? What types of people living there, it had tons of foreclosures a few years ago but I drove all over and seems everyone is making the homes very nice??

Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Don't worry about people calling it the ghetto....those are the stuck up snobs living in the nicer part of e setauket. Typical long island.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM

166 posts, read 313,746 times
It's far from being a ghetto - just not one of the ritzier section of the 3V area. But if you have little kids, it's probably a great spot for them. And yes, the houses were built pretty cheaply, but if you and your neighbors are renovating them, that's not an issue

Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
My only concern would be with the toxic plume from Lawrence Aviation, the property abuts Woodchuck and Dorothy. The plume supposedly spread north. Your call.

Lawrence Aviation Industries Soil Vapor Intrusion Evaluation

There's a "sexually violent" (State's definition) Level 2 sex offender living a couple of blocks away on Partridge. He did 20 years in N. Carolina, and recently moved to the area.

As far as overhauling the entire house and adding a porch -- check the zoning. You're probably going to need a variance as you won't have adequate setback.

Your child will meet friends in elementary school whose families are 'haves' -- been there, done that -- no escaping it.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:45 PM

OH NO!! I had no idea about a toxic plume!! WHATTTT!??? And I had no idea there was a sex offender in the area. I live in Coram now and if you check Coram there are so many sex offenders it is insane! And they all live by Longwood Library and hang out there! I have seen them there before! It is the NUMBER ONE reason along with the HORRIBLE Longwood School District that we have sold and are getting out of Coram. Thank you for this info I am going to have to look into this further! No way am I buying toxic anything!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Woodchuck is south of the plume, it allegedly moved with the groundwater north into Port Jeff Village. With respect to sex offenders, there are very few registered ones in the 3V area. Check the PFML website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: