Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:03 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DFW View Post
How are you damned if you choose not to irritate others?

Because then I'm sure someone would be b*tchin' that their neighbor's home & yard wasn't up to par.

The landscapers use the big push blowers here in my neighborhood during the Fall and it doesn't both me the least bit. For me, it just means they finish their job faster!

As for the handheld gas blowers, I've found that the landscapers have always been very courteous to people walking/running by (I used to run regularly before becoming pregnant), as well as cars. They either aim it in a different direction or turn it off/down until you pass.

We also own a gas powered blower, which we primarily use to blow off our 2000 sq. ft. patio...not exactly a quick sweep when expecting guests. But to be honest, if we had a much smaller property, we probably wouldn't own one. It wouldn't be worth storing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
As for the handheld gas blowers, I've found that the landscapers have always been very courteous to people walking/running by (I used to run regularly before becoming pregnant), as well as cars. They either aim it in a different direction or turn it off/down until you pass.

Landscapers by us use a large blower (don't know the name of it) that they angle towards the property to make sure nothing blows on adjacent properties when blowing large piles of leaves, etc. It is like a big fan that they follow the guys with blowers with, to be extra cautious for neighborhing properties.

Can't complain about that courteousness and I too agree, I find the landscapers are always polite. It is the homeowners who don't know how to operate them as easily who blow stuff around.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:26 PM

81 posts, read 350,005 times
Quote:
Because then I'm sure someone would be b*tchin' that their neighbor's home & yard wasn't up to par.

The landscapers use the big push blowers here in my neighborhood during the Fall and it doesn't both me the least bit. For me, it just means they finish their job faster!

We also own a gas powered blower, which we primarily use to blow off our 2000 sq. ft. patio...not exactly a quick sweep when expecting guests. But to be honest, if we had a much smaller property, we probably wouldn't own one. It wouldn't be worth storing it.
Can someone pass the Grey Poupon

Old 11-07-2007, 01:13 AM

64 posts, read 237,972 times
Quote:

I never said that people shouldn't remove their leaves. I'm simply saying that there are more courteous ways of doing it, which you go on to confirm.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
I would much rather listen to annoying leaf blowers than walk on all the toxic lawns.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I would much rather listen to annoying leaf blowers than walk on all the toxic lawns.
HAHAHHA...love it. Yep, it'll always be something,,,lol.
Anddddd...would we rather have brown lawns like they have in California most of the year or green lawns and lousy weather...lol...its always something.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
HAHAHHA...love it. Yep, it'll always be something,,,lol.
Anddddd...would we rather have brown lawns like they have in California most of the year or green lawns and lousy weather...lol...its always something.

I'm not a fan of over manicured, chemically enhanced lawns. I'm a fan of native plants & living in a toxin free environment. Did you know more toxic chemicals are used per acre on lawn care than per acre in commercial agriculture in the U.S.? it's scary that "we" are more obsessed with green grass than the health of of children & grandchildren.
"but I want my grass to be greener than my neighbor's, I want my car to be nicer than my neighbor's, I want my blow up Santa to be ten feet taller than my neighbor's"
sheeple.

ETS-I truly hate leaf blowers too, I was being sarcastic.

Last edited by KellyFG; 11-07-2007 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Quote:
Man...what a bunch of whiners.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
What does your hubby import...leaf blowers?

They're a nefararious Chinese communist plot to sap and impurify my precious natural bodily fluids.

Seriously, when I want to smoke a cigarette, I have to do the thirty yard dash from the entrance, lest some pink lunged burboids respiratory system be sullied. Then, somebody's gonna run one of those things?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:53 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
Well then, suburban america needs to get off of their collective rear ends and mow their own lawns and rake their own leaves, among other things. I can't believe we have become so lazy as a country that we accept stuff like this because it is easier to pay someone else to do it, and deal with the consequences, ie noise.

If that is the case, then this country has become quite pathetic.

I hope this isn't a naive question, but honestly, is there not anything we can do to eliminate the noise pollution from these blowers?
My complaint about leaf blowers is the ungodly time these landscaping companies start using them. Yesterday they were across the street at 7:15 am. Today (Saturday) they were nice enough to wait until 7:25am until they started next door. Just a few years ago nobody in our neighborhood would use their lawnmower before 9am out of consideration of their neighbors !!

Old 11-17-2007, 04:42 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I find it rather pathetic that people will pay for memberships to expensive gyms to work out when they could be getting a decent workout from maintaining their own yards.

So they pay Muscle's Gym a fee, and Jeffe's Lawn Service to do the lawn they can't maintain because they're at the gym and haven't the time.

DUH!
Don't forget driving to the gym so you can walk on a treadmill for an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island