Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Is there an icon for vomiting? Because that's what I almost did when I read the below sniveling and driveling:

Oh the horror!

$210K a year!

Barely middle class!

Can't afford a house (McMansion?) we'd like!

ONLY, yes only two, two measly cars for two people!

See this for some reality:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...rcent-map.html

It says that household income is top 7% in NY/northeastern NJ and top 4% in USA.

But oh no, it's not good enough! Nowhere near good enough for these ungrateful "rookie healthcare workers."

Fellow posters, I see some of you have done your research and started to see what's really behind the numbers in this one's postings: nonsense. I think we are dealing with a little girl here who has not lived long enough in the real world on her own to have a firm grasp on reality behind the latest shoe and bag styles. I also say shame on someone complaining about that income level. It is just asking for the architect of the universe to say, "Ungrateful, eh? Perhaps you've had it too easy all your life? Let's see what we can do about that." There's an old saying: Man plans; God laughs.

The template for this meme is, fittingly named, First World Problems:

So remember this picture, because that's what you're dealing with ... and that's what IRONICALLY has the NERVE to airily call your legitimate concerns about runaway taxes and crooked public sector union/politician deals "first world problems." Please!
Calling me a little girl with your insulting and immature comeback. Are you aware of the COL on LI? It is amongst the highest in the country. You don't even know my SO and I prospects, to have children, save for our children's expenses and college education, to provide some help for my SO's father since he's in poor health - not to buy freaking designer handbags and take luxury cruise vacations. Please, I shop in outlets and sales racks. The most luxurious vacation my SO went on this year was to a poor village in India. You think anyone making $200k on LI is automatically filthy rich? Maybe if you're single with no children, but you just disregarded the fact that some people have children and other family to provide for. Even some of your fellow posters here have stated that's hard for a family to get by with six figures on LI these days.

We were looking at ~$700k house in Port Washington with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms if we stayed here, yup sounds like a real McMansion! (We like PW because its near the water and its diverse for LI standards) Btw, we're not moving back to California or Colorado because we want a cheap "McMansion." In addition our money to go a little further we like the lifestyle, amenities, and weather out there better.

Where did I say I was "ungreatful" about our income? All I said in the later post that $200k doesn't go as far as you like on LI if you're planning a family or having to help care for other members. I've seen it with my brother, he's an ER physician and makes more than we do. Whatever, I guess trying doing the best for my family is my first world problem. Taxes and public unions are yours, we all have them!

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 09-05-2013 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Calling me a little girl with your insulting and immature comeback. Are you aware of the COL on LI? It is amongst the highest in the country. You don't even know my SO and I prospects, to have children, save for our children's expenses and college education, to provide some help for my SO's father since he's in poor health - not to buy freaking designer handbags and take luxury cruise vacations. Please, I shop in outlets and sales racks. The most luxurious vacation my SO went on this year was to a poor village in India. You think anyone making $200k on LI is automatically filthy rich? Maybe if you're single with no children, but you just disregarded the fact that some people have children and other family to provide for. Even some of your fellow posters here have stated that's hard for a family to get by with six figures on LI these days.

We were looking at ~$700k house in Port Washington with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms if we stayed here, yup sounds like a real McMansion! (We like PW because its near the water and its diverse for LI standards) Btw, we're not moving back to California or Colorado because we want a cheap "McMansion." In addition our money to go a little further we like the lifestyle, amenities, and weather out there better.

Where did I say I was "ungreatful" about our income? All I said in the later post that $200k doesn't go as far as you like on LI if you're planning a family or having to help care for other members. I've seen it with my brother, he's an ER physician and makes more than we do. Whatever, I guess trying doing the best for my family is my first world problem. Taxes and public unions are yours, we all have them!
And THERE'S the connection you can't seem to make despite all of the reasonable posts trying to explain it. As someone pointed out earlier: CAUSATION. The compensation issue makes it much harder for everyone to do better for their families. A cop and teacher pair making $350k plus stellar benefits?! Your blind denial of the egregiousness of that in the economic world we all live in tells me you're just plain daft. Although I knew that 15 pages ago.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
And THERE'S the connection you can't seem to make despite all of the reasonable posts trying to explain it. As someone pointed out earlier: CAUSATION. The compensation issue makes it much harder for everyone to do better for their families. A cop and teacher pair making $350k plus stellar benefits?! Your blind denial of the egregiousness of that in the economic world we all live in tells me you're just plain daft. Although I knew that 15 pages ago.
So you're telling me that property taxes are the main reason why the COL is so high on LI, the sole reasons why families are struggling here.

Ok so let's just say LI follows the footsteps of California with prop 13 and regulates property taxes to ~$6000/year (generally speaking). So all of the sudden LI is going to become extremely affordable for most? How about you move out the Bay Area or San Diego suburbs and get back to us on how much more affordable the COL is there because of the lower property taxes. Don't try to kid me, I've lived in San Diego and nobody there in the right mind there thinks that family could live comfortably there these days on an income less than six figures. Talk about daftness.

Where are you getting this notion that most top police officers are married to teachers, other than your one friend? Funny, none of the teachers I met on LI were married to police officers. Not to mention that top percentile public sector $350k combined income is after at least 15 years work experience, not the first year they start their careers!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:03 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
So you're telling me that property taxes are the main reason why the COL is so high on LI, the sole reasons why families are struggling here.

Ok so let's just say LI follows the footsteps of California with prop 13 and regulates property taxes to ~$6000/year (generally speaking). So all of the sudden LI is going to become extremely affordable for most? How about you move out the Bay Area or San Diego suburbs and get back to us on how much more affordable the COL is there because of the lower property taxes. Don't try to kid me, I've lived in San Diego and nobody there in the right mind there thinks that family could live comfortably there these days on an income less than six figures. Talk about daftness.

Where are you getting this notion that most top police officers are married to teachers, other than your one friend? Funny, none of the teachers I met on LI were married to police officers. Not to mention that top percentile public sector $350k combined income is after at least 15 years work experience, not the first year they start their careers!
What you don't get is that reduction in property taxes would also encourage more businesses to come or at least stay here...more jobs, more income for those who aren't cops/teachers. It has a snowball effect. For someone making 90K family, a reduction of $2,000 in property taxes is a signifcant amount, yes. It wouldn't make LI "affordable" but you have to stop the bleeding at some point.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What you don't get is that reduction in property taxes would also encourage more businesses to come or at least stay here...more jobs, more income for those who aren't cops/teachers. It has a snowball effect. For someone making 90K family, a reduction of $2,000 in property taxes is a signifcant amount, yes. It wouldn't make LI "affordable" but you have to stop the bleeding at some point.
Attracting business takes a lot more than just property taxes. If that was solely the case then South Carolina would have more businesses than California. NY gives tax breaks for larger businesses, small businesses may suffer more here but salaries for small business were never really that high for most employees anyway.

LI not attractive for business because of its geography for the most part. It's costly to transports goods since it's an island, but what makes this more costly is that LI greatly relies on highly transportation rather than rail. There is no railroad on LI that directly connects to the mainland and if there was it'd be a lot cheaper to transport goods. Now a corporation executive wanting to open a location in the NYC metro, wouldn't it make more sense to operate in Westchester, NNJ, or CT where I don't have spend extra money transporting goods, rather than LI?

Saving $2000 will depend on the person, circumstances, and how they are with their finances as you stated. As for me, I'd save a lot more money buying a $450k house in Riverside, CA or Jefferson County, CO than a $700k house on LI.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Why is it NYPD is constantly recruiting and the LI PDs have 25000 test takers? Anyone who grew up on LI, and knows cops personally, can confidently say to get a PD job on LI is like hitting the Lotto. Not because you are going to be rich but, because you will be very comfortable and you could be a 1 income family.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:

No, I don't think a DINK couple bringing in over $200K household income is FILTHY RICH from personal experience. I notice you're not crying about student loans. Guess mommy and daddy took care of that for you and your doctor brother you keep bragging about. Get help with the house too if you must show off on the North Shore right NOW even though you can't afford it NOW instead of buying a starter home like most young couples do and waiting to move up to a more expensive neighborhood later.

Maybe this isn't a First World Problem, but a problem for the show "Long Island Princesses":

You don't even own a home or pay property taxes. Buy one and pay them for a couple of years and then come back and take us to task on being concerned about how the Counties and Villages and school districts, etc., etc., spend the money after you have some experience in the real world paying them.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Attracting business takes a lot more than just property taxes. If that was solely the case then South Carolina would have more businesses than California. NY gives tax breaks for larger businesses, small businesses may suffer more here but salaries for small business were never really that high for most employees anyway.

LI not attractive for business because of its geography for the most part. It's costly to transports goods since it's an island, but what makes this more costly is that LI greatly relies on highly transportation rather than rail. There is no railroad on LI that directly connects to the mainland and if there was it'd be a lot cheaper to transport goods. Now a corporation executive wanting to open a location in the NYC metro, wouldn't it make more sense to operate in Westchester, NNJ, or CT where I don't have spend extra money transporting goods, rather than LI?

Saving $2000 will depend on the person, circumstances, and how they are with their finances as you stated. As for me, I'd save a lot more money buying a $450k house in Riverside, CA or Jefferson County, CO than a $700k house on LI.

You just have a non-answer for everything. Then you apply a non-sensical straw argument to bolster it. For one, who the hell cares about S. Carolina in this discussion?! S.C. could NEVER have more businesses because it has a fraction of the population and work force. It is however expanding while we contract.

The transportation point is idiotic. We pay the same transportation rates as everywhere else and have some of the largest ports in the world. I handle logistics. No one pays a premium to get goods on Long Island due to trans costs. This isn't the Canary Islands or Fiji. We pay more because of TAXES. Businesses leave because of taxes and adversarial zoning laws by local govts. We had one of the largest defense, aircraft and aerospace manufacturing bases and NONE had issue one with transportation costs. They downsized due to economic factors or MOVED due to too high operating costs ie LABOR, TAXES and UTILITIES! Period. I'm amazed the whatever profession'd S.O. of a VA doctor has any non-google insight on logistic costs but it's clear you have no qualms about pulling erroneous nonsense out of your rear end.

I can't believe you made the incredible finding that you'd save money buying a $450k house instead of a $700k one. Wow. Your one cogent point.

Last edited by mongoose65; 09-05-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Why is it NYPD is constantly recruiting and the LI PDs have 25000 test takers? Anyone who grew up on LI, and knows cops personally, can confidently say to get a PD job on LI is like hitting the Lotto. Not because you are going to be rich but, because you will be very comfortable and you could be a 1 income family.
Exactly! The pension alone (that is all taxpayer funded, they don't contribute one red cent) is like being handed a multi-million dollar annuity.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:

We had Grumman and aerospace industries for years. We have extensive rails and tunnels connecting us to the mainland that can carry heavy freight. Ever hear of the LIRR? They use them too.

Guess what drove our aerospace business away? Unfriendly conditions for business, chief among them high taxes and high utility costs due to runaway public sector union personnel costs. Yeah your favorite cops were among the culprits.

NYS's new tax breaks are not enough to bring back what was lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island