Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

My Optimum Triple Play promotion (which I was able to extend a few times) is expiring next month. To add insult to injury, Family Cable is no longer available in my area so I have to "upgrade" to Optimum Preferred, which is even more expensive. I plan to try to negotiate an extension of that deal again, and if Optimum won't budge, then it might be time to switch to Verizon FIOS. Verizon FIOS is being offered to me for even less than I am paying for Cablevision.

Before I commit to switching to Verizon, I have a few questions:

1. Does the triple play price include the cost of any HD cable boxes? If not, how much does an HD cable box cost per month? Can you get anything without a box?

2. Does the triple play price include the cost of DVR service? If not, how much does DVR service cost per month?

3. Does Verizon offer wireless hot spots, like Optimum? I do not have a smart phone and a data plan, so the Optimum hot spots are my only method of internet access when I am away from home?

4. Does Verizon offer local news (like News 12), and traffic and weather (like Channel 61)? I know that Verizon is FIOS 1, but I do not know if it is comparable to News 12, or if it includes live traffic and weather?

5. I often hear that Verizon offers fewer HD channels than Optimum. What notable channels does Optimum offer in HD that Verizon offers only in SD or not at all?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 PM

252 posts, read 420,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My Optimum Triple Play promotion (which I was able to extend a few times) is expiring next month. To add insult to injury, Family Cable is no longer available in my area so I have to "upgrade" to Optimum Preferred, which is even more expensive. I plan to try to negotiate an extension of that deal again, and if Optimum won't budge, then it might be time to switch to Verizon FIOS. Verizon FIOS is being offered to me for even less than I am paying for Cablevision.

1. Does the triple play price include the cost of any HD cable boxes? If not, how much does an HD cable box cost per month? Can you get anything without a box?

2. Does the triple play price include the cost of DVR service? If not, how much does DVR service cost per month?

3. Does Verizon offer wireless hot spots, like Optimum? I do not have a smart phone and a data plan, so the Optimum hot spots are my only method of internet access when I am away from home?

4. Does Verizon offer local news (like News 12), and traffic and weather (like Channel 61)? I know that Verizon is FIOS 1, but I do not know if it is comparable to News 12, or if it includes live traffic and weather?

5. I often hear that Verizon offers fewer HD channels than Optimum. What notable channels does Optimum offer in HD that Verizon offers only in SD or not at all?

Thank you very much.
In all honesty, you should probably check the pricing on the Fios website. You will be able to build your package and get the total monthly price.

In answer to your questions, the boxes are all add ons. There may be a promotion where you can get free DVR service but, I wouldn't count on it.

There is no free wifi service that I know of with Fios.

Fios 1 stinks.

Have never noticed any channel worth watching that was not in HD.

All this said, I switched to Fios last December and have never looked back. Very happy with the service.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

Thank you very much.
1. I got one SD box free for life. No HD boxes were included.

2. No, not included, I think i pay 19.99 a month for the multi-room dvr. I think you can get this free for a year in lieu of the 300 dollar gift card if you choose.

3. Verizon does have hotspots but no where near the amount of Optimum on LI.

4. It offers Fios 1 local news which is awful (some people say its actually improved over the years and thats saying something!). Not sure about live traffic and weather as I never watch it.

5. Not true at all, all the HD channels I had with Cablevision I have now, only caveat is the fios packages are different some include some channels that others do not.

As the previous poster said build your package online. It works really well and you will see exactly what the charges/discounts are for each service. Personally I am very happy with Fios, but the difference between the two isnt as big as some say.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
There's too much to list because pricing depends on the package plus add-on's. Check out their website to see their pricing and what the packages consist of. Basically, the Triple Play packages are TV, Internet and Phone. Depending on your needs you may need to upgrade your internet access speed.

HD boxes are extra and you pay extra per month for HD channels. The prices vary according to the package you select.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the services. I had a minor issue when I first had it installed but they fixed it right away. They also compensated us when we lost service during Sandy. They upgraded our channels and internet access for no charge.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
My parents have Cablevision and I just got through battling with retention to lower the price for their year 2. Their year 1 promo was about $86 after taxes. Now that they have you, the 2nd year jumped to $125 (no premium movie channels). Ridiculous increase considering I've been with FIOS for years and am only at $105 after taxes. I could only get CV down to $113/mo.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Been on FIOS for years where I live, love it! All the promo's could never get me to give it up and go back to Comcast. As others said go to the site and price out the features you are looking for....

Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
I treid to negotiate with Cablevision, but they would not budge. My monthly bill will increase from about $110 to about $165 if I stay with Cablevision.

Verizon claims that FIOS is not available in my area. I know that is not true, since there are others in my condo complex that have FIOS. They said they will look into it and get back to me.

If I am able to switch to Verizon FIOS, I really wonder whether or not it is worth it. I know that the taxes are higher. Also, the $89.99 does not include any cable boxes or DVR service, and aparently without a box, I won't get any service at all (they said that you can get a digital adapter, but it's only $1 less than the cost of a box, so that hardly seems worth it). How much can I expect triple play to cost with 1 HD DVR box and 1 regular HD box, including all of the taxes? I'm guessing more than $110 but less than $165? Verizon can't tell me any pricing info until they determine if service is available in my area.

Assuming I am able to get the service, I would have to decide whether or not it is worth it to switch to Verizon, or to just suck it up and pay the $165 per month for Cablevision. It seems that if I switch to Verizon, I would lose out on the wireless hot spots, and I would lose out on the traffic and weather, which are both services that I do use.

Is there any chance I can convince Cablevision to reduce my rate below $165? I realize I'll probably have to pay more than $110, but $165 per month seems ridiculous.

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
^ did you talk to CV retention dept? They are the only ones authorized to cut a deal. In order to get to them you need to tell the 1st rep "just cancel me".

Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 AM

3,525 posts, read 5,705,294 times
I didnt say the word cancellation. I just took what FIOS offered me and told CV retention that I had been with CV for 15 years and this is what FIOS is offering me and then said to them "Why would I stay with CV?"

They matched the price and gave me an upgraded package for a year.

Time to play the game again next year. This is the 1st year I have had to play this game.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I didnt say the word cancellation. I just took what FIOS offered me and told CV retention that I had been with CV for 15 years and this is what FIOS is offering me and then said to them "Why would I stay with CV?"

They matched the price and gave me an upgraded package for a year.

Time to play the game again next year. This is the 1st year I have had to play this game.
Agreed. I've never had an issue with either company lowering/keeping the price and usually offering additional promos. FIOS would require the 2 year deal but made good offers. FIOS and CV, 6 of one, half dozen of the other for me but the wife and kid like CV so guess what I have now. Then again, CV has Fight Now channel and FIOS doesn't. CV locked in promo pricing for 2 years when I said "I still have my FIOS equipment, if price jumps, I leave." News 12 is fairly worthless except for local election debates...so yeah, like I said...worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island