Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM

510 posts, read 901,279 times

Advertisements

I agree the deductibles are not affordable for many. I'm curious to see how the plans will vary from state to state. I think you will see a migration to seek lower insurance costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Called Emblem health yesterday. They still don't have the provider network set up for the ACA plans. Suggested I call back in a month. I thought this was supposed to be ready by 10/1/13?
Also looked at Northshore's plan, but their network isn't ready yet either.
It really does not inspire confidence.
How can you buy into a plan not knowing which providers you can use?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
You're assuming that the date of 10/1/2013 was determined by having experienced software developers, project managers, insurance companies, businesses and hospitals (to name a few parties with actual skin in the game) look at what they needed to get done in order for ACA to go live. That's not how it works within the Beltway. Often times a date is picked because "someone higher up" picked the date for whatever reason.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:43 AM

398 posts, read 838,143 times
For anyone still having difficulties on the online exchange website, there is a number you can call to apply; 1-800-318-2596

Curious to hear some long islanders experience in using the healthcare act for coverage.

I know there has to be some small business owners that have no employees that could benefit by using this coverage. That's hopeful thinking on my part, and want to hear some good stories of this helping hard workig people rather than jut the unfortunate. We already had medicad for the unfortunate so this act was intended to help the base of America

Any thoughts

Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 PM

My broker says we will be lucky to get in by March. NY computers not working well with insurance co computers. Lots of wrong information being sent. No guarantee that you really are enrolled.

Healthy NY people only have til 12/31 to get into a new plan.

Also, the quotes on the NY site are misleading and differ from the companies' sites. NY site gives average of plans not the individual plans themselves ie BCBS has at least 4 silver plans each differing in benefits/price/HSA compatibility.

I have bought private individual insurance for 15 years. This is THE worst experience I have had in regards to purchasing insurance.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM

112 posts, read 257,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
For anyone still having difficulties on the online exchange website, there is a number you can call to apply; 1-800-318-2596

Multiple news outlets (right & left) are reporting that if you call this number operators are asking for your ID number that you were issued when you signed up on the website. They cannopt sign you up over the phone, they can only provide assistance IF you have the number issued to from online.

I can't say I'm encouraged at this point. Using say Amazon or You-Tube as an example. There ARE websites that can handle HUGE amounts of traffic at one time. It's not like they didn't have time to get this all developed.

Also the fact that you have to enter ALL your personal info BEFORE you are given and pricing information sounds kind of underhanded to me. Almost like a "bait and switch"

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.......

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
It's not like they didn't have time to get this all developed.
Given the way our Federal Government internally works they really didn't have time to get this all developed. Seriously.
Something simple that would take the private sector a few weeks to roll out (idea, development, testing, roll out) would have to go through an obstacle course of bureaucrats, lawyers and fiefdoms that would take months to even get started, well maybe get started. And that's assuming that the goal was defined and the requirements were correct.
And of course there are the really bad ideas that get green lighted that would get people in the private sector fired and careers ruined.
The country is in for a rough ride with the new healthcare landscape.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...nt-number-834/

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 10-23-2013 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 06:19 PM

Nearly 2/3 of people applying for coverage via the NY Health Benefit Exchange were automatically enrolled in Medicaid to date. This is not a promising sign as you would want many more unsubsidized people paying into the system to help make it solvent.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 959 times
I live in NY State and am trying to look for a health insurance plan that participates in Medicaid. What should I look for in a health plan?

Old 11-10-2013, 03:44 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I went on here too and the deductibles are outrageous!. I have a plan now with no deductible but come January our new plan through hubby's job will have a $4,000 deductible! Who can afford that? Not us. Plus they take out for the insurance every other paycheck and even when the deductible is met we still have to pay 50% of the negotiated price. My SIL deals with this all the time it's her job, I had her looking at the 3 choices we have and she said they are all terrible. We have a Good, Better and Best plan choice through Empire Blue cross. She said to take the good plan since we don't have major health issues and do not go to the doctor all that often but it's still a $4,000 deductible. According to our wonderful government "WE" make to much money to afford any free healthcare. If I wasn't married I would be able to get medicade because I don't make a lot and I am considered at the poverty line. It's so frustrating. Under my husband's new plan it's actually cheaper to be a single parent with kids then to cover a husband and wife. I found out what the tax penalty is if you choose not to have coverage. It's $95 per person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island