Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM

35 posts, read 156,740 times

Advertisements

I am considering making an offer on a house in Shoreham and am looking to hear opinions from people that are local. I have searched these forums but most of the info is quite old. How do you like the schools? What is the reputation of the schools? Do you think the property taxes are set to really increase due to updating the schools? How do you like the local area as far as restaurants, shopping and raising a family in general?Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 04:39 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
In that part of Suffolk, the schools are very well-regarded, although I don't know how they shake out in the Island-wide rankings. Overall I'd say they're a safe bet though.

The area is very pretty, but somewhat remote. People who live there appear to be very enthusiastic about/involved in the community, and it seems like a pretty tight-knit place. I'm sure your basics (grocery store, pizzeria, etc.) are covered, but you'd probably have to leave the area for things like clothes/electronics/etc.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
I grew up in Shoreham. What neighborhood are you looking in? I still have friends living there.

It was remote but that was 15 years ago. Now you have everything in Riverhead and there is plenty of dining on the north fork (or south!) Where are you moving from? I would only say to skip if you had to commute to the city. That is horrible. Like 2.5 hours each way. Trust me, my husband did it for a few months while we were waiting to close on our house in the Huntington area.

My friends seem to like the schools. I'm not up on the tax situation... But I can ask.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,534 times
I've got an account with neighborhoodscout.com to run comparisons and the crime index seems high for what I've seen of the area. I'm guessing maybe property crime involving summer homes while they're vacant? Any insight into that from any locals? Also, I researched the schools and they seem to be pretty decent, but 2012s numbers showed a significant decrease from previous years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island