Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:14 AM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times

Advertisements

People who live south of 27A are having a very hard time selling, no matter what the neighborhood, the house or the pricepoint is like. Buyers still remember Hurricane Sandy all too well. Combine that with the ridiculous property taxes and a lot of sellers may even be looking at losing $$ just to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM

163 posts, read 246,097 times
Actually, a lot of towns on Long Island are going the re-urbanization route, especially near the LIRR stations (see my post on the LIRR Huntington station losing parking to a new hotel). There's a company called Renaissance Downtowns that is partnering with large real estate investors to "revitalize" areas like Huntington Station, Hempstead, Riverhead, Nassau Colosseum. They are claiming that single family housing on LI is dead and instead we need large condo/rental complexes near the train stations, so they are working with these towns to rezone the areas and build them up quickly. Many folks who live on LI are particularly worried that this will lead to transforming many communities into another "Queens" which would ruin the quality of life on LI altogether.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS99 View Post
Many folks who live on LI are particularly worried that this will lead to transforming many communities into another "Queens" which would ruin the quality of life on LI altogether.
NIMBYs

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-24-2014, 08:12 PM

622 posts, read 853,253 times
Quote:
Actually, a lot of towns on Long Island are going the re-urbanization route, especially near the LIRR stations (see my post on the LIRR Huntington station losing parking to a new hotel). There's a company called Renaissance Downtowns that is partnering with large real estate investors to "revitalize" areas like Huntington Station, Hempstead, Riverhead, Nassau Colosseum. They are claiming that single family housing on LI is dead and instead we need large condo/rental complexes near the train stations, so they are working with these towns to rezone the areas and build them up quickly. Many folks who live on LI are particularly worried that this will lead to transforming many communities into another "Queens" which would ruin the quality of life on LI altogether.
What quality of life are you referring to?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
People have been saying this for years and yet houses here are still super expensive (even post real estate crash) and people continue to buy them.
I hope so... I want to sell my lovely money pit before long.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,847 times
It's all because of the mentality here. The LI, and NY in general, lib "tax and spend" is the issue. My bro lives in Wantagh and pays 11K taxes, Last school vote, he supported the budget so his kids could have sports. That's it, the Teachers salaries that got crazy need to be reduced, not the kid's programs. The day people are willing to vote the school budget down, that will begin the reform. Kindergarten Teacher there is making $135K, and $80K is good enough, I'd say. I know a Nurse Practitioner here making $106K, and she has people's lives at stake in her hands all day. This place got screwed up with all the liabilities. Same crap here in Chicago I stay for business, and it may keep me from moving in full-time on LI.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,342 times
Quote:
Yep. I've been to a few meetings for a group, Destination LI, that is working with Renaissance Downtowns on projects like this. They are also looking DLI is also looking into revitalizing Baldwin, Long Beach and Amityville.

There's also the Ronkonkoma Hub that is trying to get off the ground. That's not a DLI project, but it is supported by them. And there is also the Wyandanch Rising project, which I saw they had started when I was riding on the train last week.

I think with the right planning, places near the LIRR stations could have good transit oriented development. I always wondered why the areas around the stations were very desolate or weren't taken advantage of tbh.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Yep. I've been to a few meetings for a group, Destination LI, that is working with Renaissance Downtowns on projects like this. They are also looking DLI is also looking into revitalizing Baldwin, Long Beach and Amityville.

There's also the Ronkonkoma Hub that is trying to get off the ground. That's not a DLI project, but it is supported by them. And there is also the Wyandanch Rising project, which I saw they had started when I was riding on the train last week.

I think with the right planning, places near the LIRR stations could have good transit oriented development. I always wondered why the areas around the stations were very desolate or weren't taken advantage of tbh.
Ever see the movie 'Soylent Green'? You know... SG is people, it's people! Well that's LI's future. The developer's only care about maximum return on each project, the politicians are looking for goodies from the developers and the planning and zoning boards are the best people money can buy.

With our garbage infrastructure, including a commuter railroad that should be nationalized and one real major artery (the LIE), these high-density projects are destined to cause the quality of life to plummet for the rest of us. Factor in the incredibly high taxes, fees and surcharges to live here and you have the makings of a debacle. It's the later that shows no sign of letting up, the pols **** the money away and we just get to keep funding... other peoples' pensions, health benefits and salary raises.

Yup, it's people, it's people...

Old 02-27-2014, 03:30 PM

21 posts, read 97,609 times

Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Superblock project in Long Beach has been approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island