Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 02:21 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,904,069 times

Advertisements

Interesting. And so to be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 02:57 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,161,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I rent, and do not own a home. I have compiled my complaints and taken them to Village elected officials. The responses I get are "we're not Immigration", "its a police issue", or that I'm being "racist".
This is a Sanctuary City. It's actually on the list of Sanctuary Cities.

Sanctuary city, sanctuary, sanctuary cities, sanctuary city list, list of sanctuary cities, list, Ohio, jobs, OJJPAC, justice, illegal alien, immigration, amnesty, undocumented, ICE, NYC, IIRIRA, Huston, Chicago, Phoenix, Steve Salvi

I've got to move. It's not entirely up to me for reasons I'm not going to get into here, but if it was I'd have been out several years ago. But things are really reaching a tipping point now. I will get out, come hell or high water.

Have you engaged the local civic association into the fray? They are often quite helpful, just an idea. I did not realize that you were a renter.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:16 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,329,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Have you engaged the local civic association into the fray? They are often quite helpful, just an idea. I did not realize that you were a renter.
I have tried, they don't seem to be interested. It's a "hot potato" issue no one wants to touch.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,228,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Yeah OK tough guy. Have you been to Westbury recently? There are a lot of illegals and gang members living there. I remember it being bad over 5 years ago when I had friends living off of Post Ave. Its only gotten worse. Unless this was happening on my block or somewhere on my property I would not go anywhere near this guy. And as manekeniko said what if he had a knife or a gun?

Anyways, I feel for the OP. Westbury has been going through a downwards spiral in the past few decades. Unfortunately the town and the county have done little to nothing about these issue. When all is lost who do you turn to?
It's not about being a tough guy. It's about being man enough to stand up for what you believe in and your community. If I saw some idiot openly burning trash in a parking lot, in my neighborhood, you can bet your butt I'd approach him and ask him what the F he thought he was doing. But apparently that makes me a tough guy. All I know is that I'm not afraid of <gasp!> talking to or confronting people when need be. "He could have a gun!" "He could have a knife!" If you people are afraid enough and intimidated enough by those thoughts, then I really sorry for you, because it's actually kind of pathetic. When did we become so afraid of other people?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat123 View Post
I feel terrible for you. I used to live in Westbury (rented an apartment in a house, it was lovely) and just actually was there last night visiting friends. In the last 12 years since we left, it looks very different from when we lived there. I used to walk to the RR in the am alone and never thought twice about it. Now, no way. Not at any time, light or dark. There are way too many people hanging around ....with nothing to do. Its a very very sad situation for the people who have lived there all their lives, to see what has happened. No one seems to care either.
I bet when you came back here you were in for a shock! I have to live here and walk to that station often enough, it's scary. I really should get some pepper spray. Many of these men are illegals and gang members. They drink, sell drugs, and are a threat to public safety. They stare at you as you walk down the sidewalk like they own the town...and they do! And no one cares, most of the people that did got fed up & left. I really hope to join them soon. I can't handle being "trapped" in this neighborhood. If this is my only option for Long Island I will have no choice but to leave. I really hope and pray a place will be found in a decent area like Bellmore, its gonna sure be hard to be forced off the island I've called home for my whole life.
The only better off sections of town are west of Ellison, and they dont care and don't see what's going on over on Post, so they keep re-electing the same morons over & over again.
You dont see people loitering in good neighborhoods, maybe some teenagers, but not grown men. That only happens in ghettos, which Westbury is.
And I'm pretty sure there is crime, but the Village does a very good job of covering it up in the media. And since many victims are also illegals, often it is not reported due to fear of deportation.
I really can't change this town, no one cares, there's no sense of community here, I just want OUT.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
It's not about being a tough guy. It's about being man enough to stand up for what you believe in and your community. If I saw some idiot openly burning trash in a parking lot, in my neighborhood, you can bet your butt I'd approach him and ask him what the F he thought he was doing. But apparently that makes me a tough guy. All I know is that I'm not afraid of <gasp!> talking to or confronting people when need be. "He could have a gun!" "He could have a knife!" If you people are afraid enough and intimidated enough by those thoughts, then I really sorry for you, because it's actually kind of pathetic. When did we become so afraid of other people?
Apparently you haven't dealt with illegals, have you? Lets say I tried what you suggested and 5 of his amigos came out and jumped me?
Or he had a knife and tried to stab me. These are NOT civilized people! I value my life and property so I think I will let the police handle it.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:12 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,367,023 times
Johninwestbury:
I put up with the same crap in Peekskill. Complained to the authorities only to fall on deaf ears. Ours was a problem of overcrowded single family homes, public drinking, urination in the streets, "rice rockets" flying up and down the street, noise blaring so loud it would rattle your windows and shake the house, and the ever present litter. It wasn't like that when we first bought the house 35 years ago, but as each house got sold the illegals moved in. I'm guessing that they pooled their resources in order to buy those homes? Houses in Peekskill are cheap anyway as many people refuse to put their children in Peekskill City Schools. Yet the property taxes were high. Ours were $11,000 for a 1000 sq. ft house in a semi rundown neighborhood. You'll be so much better off getting out of there while you can. Hopefully for your sake out of New York. If you're gonna move just make sure it's to a place you want to be. Oh, by the way you made the right move in not confronting those illegals yourself, one of the first things I was taught while taking tactical handgun and self defense courses was to avoid any confrontation if at all possible. Especially, if you are carrying a gun. Letting the police handle it was the correct decision. That's what they are trained and paid to do. Good luck with your move, once you're outta' there you'll never look back.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,213,065 times
FYI the home in the top picture is in default & on the market for $329,000. Who knows who is living there. It is probably renter & has no heat. Yesterday morning was quite cool the fire was set maybe to keep warm? Could be that the house is empty & maybe abandoned by the owner so people that roam those streets there might have known that and became squatters.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
FYI the home in the top picture is in default & on the market for $329,000. Who knows who is living there. It is probably renter & has no heat. Yesterday morning was quite cool the fire was set maybe to keep warm? Could be that the house is empty & maybe abandoned by the owner so people that roam those streets there might have known that and became squatters.
Wonder how you found that out? Just another sign of a neighborhood in decline.
I've seen guys hanging around that home before too.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Johninwestbury:
I put up with the same crap in Peekskill. Complained to the authorities only to fall on deaf ears. Ours was a problem of overcrowded single family homes, public drinking, urination in the streets, "rice rockets" flying up and down the street, noise blaring so loud it would rattle your windows and shake the house, and the ever present litter. It wasn't like that when we first bought the house 35 years ago, but as each house got sold the illegals moved in. I'm guessing that they pooled their resources in order to buy those homes? Houses in Peekskill are cheap anyway as many people refuse to put their children in Peekskill City Schools. Yet the property taxes were high. Ours were $11,000 for a 1000 sq. ft house in a semi rundown neighborhood. You'll be so much better off getting out of there while you can. Hopefully for your sake out of New York. If you're gonna move just make sure it's to a place you want to be. Oh, by the way you made the right move in not confronting those illegals yourself, one of the first things I was taught while taking tactical handgun and self defense courses was to avoid any confrontation if at all possible. Especially, if you are carrying a gun. Letting the police handle it was the correct decision. That's what they are trained and paid to do. Good luck with your move, once you're outta' there you'll never look back.
Sounds just like Westbury. The taxes are not low here either. Between that & the schools no one wants to buy a home here! Most of the homeowners are in the Carle Place schools section west of Ellison Ave.
The rest are rentals, some legal, most are not. There's a few owner occupied homes and its easy to tell the difference. I really do not want to leave Long Island, just to find a place in an area like Bellmore. But if I'm priced out of LI, then I will have to leave. As good areas become less available, they will become more expensive. I'm only allowed to rent a place that costs no more than $1250 a month for a legal one bedroom. But I'm fortunate that I rent, thus I do not have to worry about selling a house. Most are so desperate to get out of Westbury they'll sell a house to anyone often the bank or realty which will sell it to a slumlord at a lower price, thats why so many turn into illegal rentals. Same deal as in Peekskill.
As more homes get filled with illegals, more ppl move out. It's a classic "flight" pattern.
We have everything you describe, the overcrowding, the trash, drinking, subwoofers, and yes those old beat up hondas they trick out (I guess thats what you mean by rice rockets).
They are so annoying, no mufflers, out of state plates, tinted windows...and code enforcement does nothing even when they are in plain sight!
The only thing I see Code Enforcement doing is checking the meters and the Village Sticker lots for violators, they just write tickets to make $$. They could care less about public safety.
It has all gotten significantly worse this year too, my feeling is we were a major "dumping ground" for all those unaccompanied "children", many of whom arent even kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island