Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:52 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Wonder how you found that out? Just another sign of a neighborhood in decline.
I've seen guys hanging around that home before too.
Quite simply the pic had the addy & you mentioned the street simple search shows it. Last sold in 2006 for $440,000. It is clearly listed for sale as a Legal Rental as well. At least they are being straight forward from the beginning about the fact that it is already a rental. Just plan your move if you are & forget about Westbury if you plan to move at this point. If it is that bad don't limit the areas that you are willing to live. I understand the limitations that you have but you can't be picky and likely might end up somewhere worse in other ways than problems you have now. That price range is hard to find something that will make you completely happy in area that will have no problems. If it is not one problem it will be another. Remember you always get what you pay for in this world.

Expand you search you might be surprised you will find something quicker. Don't be fixated on just 1 town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 PM

Have you considered Mineola? There is a studio up for rent that is asking $1250.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:43 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Quite simply the pic had the addy & you mentioned the street simple search shows it. Last sold in 2006 for $440,000. It is clearly listed for sale as a Legal Rental as well. At least they are being straight forward from the beginning about the fact that it is already a rental. Just plan your move if you are & forget about Westbury if you plan to move at this point. If it is that bad don't limit the areas that you are willing to live. I understand the limitations that you have but you can't be picky and likely might end up somewhere worse in other ways than problems you have now. That price range is hard to find something that will make you completely happy in area that will have no problems. If it is not one problem it will be another. Remember you always get what you pay for in this world.

Expand you search you might be surprised you will find something quicker. Don't be fixated on just 1 town.
I'm not fixated on one town, Bellmore, Merrick, Massapequa, Seaford, even Rockville Centre. I do prefer the south shore over Central Nassau for various reasons.
I would rather have a much smaller place in a better area. I just hope I can find something in that price range or it may be adios to Long Island. Many ppl I know are moving away because of the prices of real estate here. One guy who was a good friend of mine lived in Mastic Beach, he couldn't deal with the area, and for what he could get for his home he couldn't afford to stay on LI so he moved to Florida.
I definitely dont want to move that far (plus its too hot) but if I can't afford a decent place in a decent area on LI than I will consider NJ.
Not looking to be completely happy, just an apt in an area that doesn't have illegals, has stuff in town and decent LIRR service. Not Long Beach though, too isolated, train service aint great, and there's the risk of flooding.
Remember I have mental illness and the program I am in decides if I can move or not. They can only pay what is considered "market rate" for rent. Of course if I were to move out of state I'd have to find another such program. I know prices are abit lower in places like Toms River, but you have to be careful there since some parts of town are quite far from everything! Still I like it there & visit often, since the town has plenty and there's alot of parkland (Pine Barrens) all around there. Still its so far and it doesn't feel like home.
I spent most of my childhood in Bellmore & Wantagh, still feels like home, and facing the prospect of being "priced out" of my home area really pisses me off!
But I know its happened to many other LI'ers and many children who cant buy homes in the areas they grew up in. They move away from LI, rather than having to live in a ghetto because its the only thing they can afford here.
Not looking for perfection here, just a decent area with good LIRR and no illegals.
I have a feeling I may be forced out and down to somewhere like Toms River whether I like it or not.
So much for someone with mental illness to deal with really...
The Island itself has changed so much, the middle class are pretty much gone and all thats left is the rich and the illegals, I fear there's no place left for me here...

Old 10-06-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Have you considered Mineola? There is a studio up for rent that is asking $1250.
Not crazy about Mineola, its better than Westbury though. If I cant find a place in those Babylon Branch areas I may have to look there, though my program won't do studios, has to be a legal 1BR.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Apparently you haven't dealt with illegals, have you? Lets say I tried what you suggested and 5 of his amigos came out and jumped me?
Or he had a knife and tried to stab me. These are NOT civilized people! I value my life and property so I think I will let the police handle it.
How is it you can tell the "legals" from the "illegals", do they have shirts that say "ILLEGAL"? Or is it just that anyone speaking spanish (since you used the word "Amigos") is automatically considered illegal?

Old 10-07-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I'm not fixated on one town, Bellmore, Merrick, Massapequa, Seaford, even Rockville Centre. I do prefer the south shore over Central Nassau for various reasons.
I would rather have a much smaller place in a better area. I just hope I can find something in that price range or it may be adios to Long Island. Many ppl I know are moving away because of the prices of real estate here. One guy who was a good friend of mine lived in Mastic Beach, he couldn't deal with the area, and for what he could get for his home he couldn't afford to stay on LI so he moved to Florida.
I definitely dont want to move that far (plus its too hot) but if I can't afford a decent place in a decent area on LI than I will consider NJ.
Not looking to be completely happy, just an apt in an area that doesn't have illegals, has stuff in town and decent LIRR service. Not Long Beach though, too isolated, train service aint great, and there's the risk of flooding.
Remember I have mental illness and the program I am in decides if I can move or not. They can only pay what is considered "market rate" for rent. Of course if I were to move out of state I'd have to find another such program. I know prices are abit lower in places like Toms River, but you have to be careful there since some parts of town are quite far from everything! Still I like it there & visit often, since the town has plenty and there's alot of parkland (Pine Barrens) all around there. Still its so far and it doesn't feel like home.
I spent most of my childhood in Bellmore & Wantagh, still feels like home, and facing the prospect of being "priced out" of my home area really pisses me off!
But I know its happened to many other LI'ers and many children who cant buy homes in the areas they grew up in. They move away from LI, rather than having to live in a ghetto because its the only thing they can afford here.
Not looking for perfection here, just a decent area with good LIRR and no illegals.
I have a feeling I may be forced out and down to somewhere like Toms River whether I like it or not.
So much for someone with mental illness to deal with really...
The Island itself has changed so much, the middle class are pretty much gone and all thats left is the rich and the illegals, I fear there's no place left for me here...
Since you are limited by a program that will make it much harder to find any apt. LI is priced out for many people has been for years. That is why so many people have moved away. Right now I have a family member looking for a 1 BR apt. & everything is illegal! Not any legal apts. on LI especially ones that will allow someone on a program. That alone leaves you extremely limited. Have you been actively looking or just waiting because when it comes to any apt. on LI it is hard to find even if you pay cash! Also if you are looking for an apt. that accepts a program it is almost guaranteed to be people you do not want to live around also living there as well. I am sure you know what I mean.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Since you are limited by a program that will make it much harder to find any apt. LI is priced out for many people has been for years. That is why so many people have moved away. Right now I have a family member looking for a 1 BR apt. & everything is illegal! Not any legal apts. on LI especially ones that will allow someone on a program. That alone leaves you extremely limited. Have you been actively looking or just waiting because when it comes to any apt. on LI it is hard to find even if you pay cash! Also if you are looking for an apt. that accepts a program it is almost guaranteed to be people you do not want to live around also living there as well. I am sure you know what I mean.
I have been waiting, I tried looking but there doesn't seem to be any good sites online.
I guess it's gonna be an uphill battle. I know about the stigma about programs, and its unfortunate because people with mental illness need somewhere safe to live! We're not all crazy. The other tenants in this building are in a similar program and I never have had any trouble with them. But I know the way ppl think. Maybe time to just pack my bags and leave the island for good. It SUCKS.
Either that or form a posse to clean up Westbury!
I'm not giving up though. Not yet. You think I'm more likely to change Westbury for the better by organizing against the Mayor?

Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Despite our hateful murmurs of apologetic discontent, mexicans laugh at the border and engorge themselves at the taxpayer trough. Youths rampage from the moment they are ambulatory and commit violence with the same exacting standards by which they copulate. And everywhere the charge of “racist!” hangs heavy as a guillotine’s blade.
As a result almost none who wish to remain employed speak beyond a whisper. Complaints are lodged only in code. But to a confidante I have heard the same sentiment many times: “I’d move my family out of this multikult sanitarium tomorrow if there were only a place to take them. But where?”

Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Have you discussed the relo with the program coordinators? Often times they have outreach to other organizations and help lines that you would not otherwise know about.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:46 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Despite our hateful murmurs of apologetic discontent, mexicans laugh at the border and engorge themselves at the taxpayer trough. Youths rampage from the moment they are ambulatory and commit violence with the same exacting standards by which they copulate. And everywhere the charge of “racist!” hangs heavy as a guillotine’s blade.
As a result almost none who wish to remain employed speak beyond a whisper. Complaints are lodged only in code. But to a confidante I have heard the same sentiment many times: “I’d move my family out of this multikult sanitarium tomorrow if there were only a place to take them. But where?”
This sounds like every ethnic group that is newly immersed into the usa. I know, they all embraced the culture and learned the language and didn't commit heinous crimes, right? Names like "with out papers" and "shanty" were just jokes and didn't pertain to any ethnic groups. There were no gangs back then either. These guys were just innocent hard working folks.

For every direlict immigrant there are many more that want the same opportunity that was afforded to the previous generations of immigrants despite their sect of criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island