Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times

Advertisements

Island Park has a big huge Christian Church.It is huge.

On site of where Speaks used to be and I am sure Dee Snider or Twisted Sister is laughing it is now a church with an Alter, he used to play there all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 10:09 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitedbygrace78 View Post
Hello and God bless. My family is to move to Long Island soon where my husband will be working in Melville. We currently live in rural Pennsylvania. We are a Christian family and family values are very important to us. We know that Long Island is more liberal and secular than what we are used to, but family values are important to us. Can people recommend neighborhoods where there is large predominately Christian community - preferably Evangelical. We know that there are many Jewish on Long Island. Do they tend to live in their own neighborhoods, or are they dispersed through the Long Island? What neighborhoods are these. Are there homosexual communities, or are they only in New York City. Are there Islamic people, or are they only in New York City as well? Thank you for any help!
I think the biggest problem you will have is the fast pace of life and impersonal nature of things here. That will be a bigger issue than anything else.

My advice if you move here is to find a church that you are comfortable with. You will find like minded people.

Am I offended by what you said? Yeah a little bit. Being a Roman Catholic and not a evangelical Christian I do think that your viewpoint is a little narrow.

However, you have a right to live around who you want. Just don't be afraid of us Catholics and Jews. We don't bite and many of us are somewhat conservative on family issues too, it's not like we are all having orgies in our backyard every weekend or something, geez!!

Last edited by Port North; 02-25-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 10:16 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
I did not want to upset anyone and was not asking loaded questions. I apologize if it came across that way. I'm sorry if my family's beliefs offend some of you but as it has been stated there are other "groups" asking to live among their own preferred groups of people and the types of people they want their children to be around. I prefer my children live in the type of community I was raised in. I'm sure there are many Jewish and Islamic people who feel the same way. We prefer to be in a community where everyone shares the same values and faith. It would seem that is going to be hard to find in Long Island.

There is a difference between seeking out an area where you aren't the only one who shares your own views and faith, and seeking out an area where everyone believes the same way you do, shares the same values and faith and has no one that thinks different, looks different or believes different.

Long Island is far from some Evangelical conservative hotbed, though I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one who has the same views as you so you can find a circle of friends with similar views if you look around.

However if you are looking for an area with no Jews, no Muslims, no homosexuals, no liberals, and filled with socially conservative Evangelicals, so you don't have to interact anyone who thinks, looks and believes any different from the way you do, you don't have a chance in hell of finding it.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I am all too familiar with the subculture of the OP. She is not concerned with Catholics or with white ethnics. In fact, she may not be a white anglo saxon Protestant herself.
She is more frightened of the teachings of the local United Methodist and Episcopalian churches than she is with conservative Roman Catholics.

Her main fears were stated in her post - Jews, Muslims and homosexuals. Secular humanists and intellectuals would probably also frighten her.

I left Long Island seven years ago. I could not afford living there any longer. We moved to PA, and people were less than welcoming. In fact, they sound quite a bit like the OP. They also had a general negative perception of anyone from NY.

Because of my political beliefs, I never thought of moving south. I live in Ohio and it's kind of like Long Island Light. I love it.

This woman's fears are similar to some people who live in South Eastern Long Island. Particularly the Shirley Mastic area and the Moriches. There are several Fundamentalist Churches there that are rather large as well as a Christian School. (LE Burkett Christian School in Center Moricihes - pre-K - 12. There are also many home schoolers, hunters, and homophobes in that area. It actually reminds me of rural PA which is full of Long Island ex Pats who have fled LI's increasing diversity.

She might find kindred spirits at The Shirley Assembly of God Church - (conservative by A/G standards)

Center Moriches Full Gospel Assembly - connected to LE Burkett Christian

East Port Bible Church.

She also might like the people who attend Smithtown Gospel Tabernacle. However, Smithtown is dangerously close to Stony Brook Setauket - which she would not like.

I won't attempt to change her thoughts, because I know that isn't possible.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 PM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
Quote:
I did not want to upset anyone and was not asking loaded questions. I apologize if it came across that way. I'm sorry if my family's beliefs offend some of you but as it has been stated there are other "groups" asking to live among their own preferred groups of people and the types of people they want their children to be around. I prefer my children live in the type of community I was raised in. I'm sure there are many Jewish and Islamic people who feel the same way. We prefer to be in a community where everyone shares the same values and faith. It would seem that is going to be hard to find in Long Island.
Now I know this is fake. Good luck relocating

Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM

[quote=DaveP52462;38593306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I
This woman's fears are similar to some people who live in South Eastern Long Island. Particularly the Shirley Mastic area and the Moriches.

Your sending her to Shirley? She will have a heart attack if her car broke down in downtown Shirley.

Shirley through the Moriches and Eat Port are FULL of Evangelical Fundamentalist Christians.

And homophobes, Islamaphobes, Anti-Semites, hunters and general religious fanatics of the Christian persuasion. Yes, there are also out law types who never set foot in a church. Kind of like rural PA or the South. It's one extreme or the other.

How do I know that? I lived there for some of the most horrible years of my life.

She might like the Christian School, home schooled, prepper nature of the area.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 PM

And trust me on this one - there are no secular humanists or intellectuals in Shirley or Mastic.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Now I know this is fake. Good luck relocating
Bingo.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
If the OP's husband really has a job in Melville and he shares her attitudes, he won't have this job for long. Then, they can go back to PA.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:21 PM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
Yeah, good luck, OP- the LI/NYC metro area is one of the most unGodly places in this country. It is not friendly to the family, as taxes and other living expenses are so high that pursuing money becomes the most important thing in most people's lives; and between the competition for everything from a parking space to a buck, everyone's always at each other's throats- there is no real community nor Christian culture there which would be anything like what you may have in PA.

Between the things I mentioned, and the rampant corruption- both in government, and the private sector (and the rampant crime) LI is a terrible place these days...and even more so for us Christians. The culture on the whole area is very secular, and all the bleeding hearts who constantly speak of "toleration", have no toleration themselves for people who hold to traditional moral values and absolute moral standards.

After having lived there for the first 39 years of my life, I left 13 years ago for the rural South.....and have never so much as dreamt of ever setting foot there again.

LI is like a foretaste of Hell.

As Hank Williams Jr. sings "...just send me to Hell, or New York City, it'd be about the same to me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island