Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Echoing what LIHR wrote, just like you want to pick and choose your contractor, a contractor will be selective about for whom he will work. If the personalities didn't mesh well from the start and they're going to back away from a job, at least have the courtesy to contact you saying, "Thank you, but...."
I have no problem with that. Even when hiring an architect, I went through someone who said he's not interested in my job because what I wanted wasn't his style or something like that. (Which conincidentally was referred by you). But at least he was professional about it. Not just professional, kind enough to refer me along to someone else. I guess architects are more 'business like'. Maybe sandy's point that more educated counts for something. These contractors though that I called don't even bother to reply. The only one that called back yesterday was the one I found on Angie's list. Maybe cause one can leave a review there. (No I never left a bad review on him yet)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:59 PM

300 posts, read 553,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
AJS,

appears you know the business.

I stumbled in here searching for product information and now it has become a quick pass through for entertainment. Keeping busy?

DesignBuild, are you an architect? designer?
I'm the son of a carpenter who became an architect... Grew up in the construction business.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:25 PM

186 posts, read 243,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post
Hi LIHR... Yes, contractor here.. I was doing Google searches to see where I placed with different keywords, and a certain City-Data thread kept popping up. It happened to have Sandy putting down contractors as usual, so I signed up to add my $0.02....

Yep, busy enough here.. Collecting my millions from ill-informed homeowners while just sitting in my GC chair, right? How about you?

Every year I say it's my last (I'm at the tail end of my career and ready for the lounge chair) but my long tail of clients keep me in the game with great projects. ( how can I not service them after all the years they have been loyal to me, plus I love what I do )

Be safe & work smart

Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
I'm the son of a carpenter who became an architect... Grew up in the construction business.

very good.

I started out as a plumber, but gravitated to carpentry. Now I consider myself a remodeling contractor focusing on clients who appreciate quality and attention to details.

there's nothing more satisfying than to complete a project that exceeds the clients expectations.

That's our objective on each project.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:38 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
Quote:
Every year I say it's my last (I'm at the tail end of my career and ready for the lounge chair) but my long tail of clients keep me in the game with great projects. ( how can I not service them after all the years they have been loyal to me, plus I love what I do )

Be safe & work smart
My buddy who did that type of work moved on to real estate management, flipping, rentals, commercial and work for the city of NY and other RFP type govt work.

He was an amazing contractor, but he never liked to overcharge and folks who were poor, widows, sick he would do jobs at a loss.

He was such a softee after Sandy he did tons of work for free. And he would work nights, weekends, doubleshifts and even christmas day to keep stuff on time. Plus when he made a mistake he would eat it.

His big stroke of luck is a guy who ended up being a mini Donald Trump and he services all his rental properties and he does a lot of commercial now. Plus city bids.

Being a contractor is a tough balance. You have to make good money to support your family but you dont want to be the guy always ripping folks off. I had one guy give me an estimate once it was sky high. I told him it was, he said I quote really high and work 1-3 days a week and make same yearly income as guys who work 5-6 days a week and I get a lot of golf in. I only do jobs where I make a ton. Guys like him give the business a bad name. He quoted me $6,000 for a job I did myself in a few two days with a few hundred bucks in material. Only reason I got the quote was wife saw him doing work on the block and I was about to start this project and she thought it would help me out.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:07 PM

397 posts, read 515,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
My buddy who did that type of work moved on to real estate management, flipping, rentals, commercial and work for the city of NY and other RFP type govt work.

He was an amazing contractor, but he never liked to overcharge and folks who were poor, widows, sick he would do jobs at a loss.
If two people agree on a price, who is to say it's overcharging?
Doing jobs at a loss? Who is taking advantage of who now?

He was such a softee after Sandy he did tons of work for free. And he would work nights, weekends, doubleshifts and even christmas day to keep stuff on time. Plus when he made a mistake he would eat it.
Again, it seems people are taking advantage of your contractor friends good nature... But you're alright with that?
His big stroke of luck is a guy who ended up being a mini Donald Trump and he services all his rental properties and he does a lot of commercial now. Plus city bids.
So now it's okay that he's making big bucks because it's money from a rich person? Wasnt there a pricing by zip code discussion on here lately?
Being a contractor is a tough balance. You have to make good money to support your family but you dont want to be the guy always ripping folks off. I had one guy give me an estimate once it was sky high. I told him it was, he said I quote really high and work 1-3 days a week and make same yearly income as guys who work 5-6 days a week and I get a lot of golf in. I only do jobs where I make a ton. Guys like him give the business a bad name. He quoted me $6,000 for a job I did myself in a few two days with a few hundred bucks in material. Only reason I got the quote was wife saw him doing work on the block and I was about to start this project and she thought it would help me out.
He didnt like you, and didnt want to do your project. He quoted high to run you off.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:

I think that guy was me.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post

He is actually not making big bucks off the mini Donald Trump. He is getting paid a fair price.

How can two people agree on a fair price when only one the contractor knows true price?

For instance Slomins and a few other oil companies were going around offering to pump out oil that had salt in tank after Sandy with a big mark up. I was desperate so I agreed to it. Luckily I found out day before DEC was pumping it out for free, DEC came and it was great. I called Slomins up to ***** and they were like not our job or problem, we throw out a price and if you agree to it your on the hook. Just like their oil contracts.

Of course a lot of their customers were furious when you paid big bucks and next day neighbor is getting it for free.

Some out of state contractor charged my neighbor who is not that sharpest tool 15k for a rip out claiming mold was going to form, meanwhile it was snowing, in a panic she paid. Trouble is the concept of if they agree to price it is a fair deal is not correct if the person quoting is inflating price and customer is not that sharp.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:43 PM

397 posts, read 515,579 times
Quote:

How can two people agree on a fair price when only one the contractor knows true price?
True price? There's no such thing in construction. There is no MSRP on labor like there is on a toaster, or a bottle of wine. A contractor can charge whatever he feels like. It's up to the buyer to determine weather they want to pay it. For the most part, the market keeps contractor earnings in check.. Im no mini Donald Trump after remodeling homes for the last 15 years.

What I think is a fair price is probably outrageous to you. I think you and a lot of others see the low cost of the many hacks in my industry and believe all contractors should be able to compete.

Quote:
I called Slomins up to ***** and they were like not our job or problem, we throw out a price and if you agree to it your on the hook.
So they should pump out your tank for free also? Why would you call them to complain just because you find a gov't agency will do it for free? Oh, who do you think funds that government agency, by the way.. Taxpayers... So, you're welcome.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:37 PM

300 posts, read 553,060 times
Quote:
very good.

I started out as a plumber, but gravitated to carpentry. Now I consider myself a remodeling contractor focusing on clients who appreciate quality and attention to details.

there's nothing more satisfying than to complete a project that exceeds the clients expectations.

That's our objective on each project.

That's great. From your comment's it sounds like you know your stuff.

I appreciate good contractors and they appreciate me because of my hands on experience.

I'm not one of those bull**** architects who say that they have worked construction but really don't know a dam thing. I've paid my dues..

I ran the family construction business for years before fully committing to architecture. I labored 9-5 and did estimates in the evening while going to school. It's a tough balance of construction knowledge and small business operations.

I'm at the end of my career as well. I dabble with some residential drawing but mostly consult on small commercial construction.

Glad to hear you are passionate about your work, best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island