Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
I hate it when GC justify their insane cost because of their "overhead." That is your problem. Lower it. You want me to pay for your skill as well as for you to get there by paying your gas? that is an insult. You don't have gas to get to your job you, don't have job or a paycheck. GC want to run a business on 100% profit with no cash layout for running the business, and then they wonder why they go on so many "quotes" and don't get the contract. You people seem to think that the average person has no idea how much a nail is and how much you are marking up, just for getting the nail.

You people also seem to think that people don't know that you overbuy the supplies and walk off with it selling it on Craigslist saying, it is let over from a job. No, it is overbuy that you charged the customer for, and walked off with the excess product.
I have overbuy from a roofer who thought he is walking off with the excess. Nope. It is in my garage.

Every time I say to a GC; "you estimate what you need I will go get it," they walk away, "Oh, we don't do it that way." We have special deals we work with for cheaper cost. Oh really? and your price is still 1000% mark up. Oh, I forgot you want me to pay for your insurance, your gas, your workers, your truck insurance etc; your boat and your wifes Escalade.
GC act as though they are doing you a favor for showing up. No, you are getting paid and you are lucky to get a job. I asked a "tile contractor" to put little booties on over the shoes. He never showed up.
He knew he was going to have a problem from me if he did not come across with a professional job.
I like the GC who says, "What's your budget." You throw out a realistic number he never shows up. He just guaged how much he could soak you for. Sorry I have had nothing but hustlers, liars and cheats mostly over the years of owning a home, calling themselves "professional" GC.
I have about as much trust and respect for them as car salesman, and lawyers, which is none.
I dread every time I need a major replacement or repair on the house, because I know I have to go thought 10 hustlers before I find one sane one that is also a "professional."
You people seem mistake people for a cow looking to milk for as much as you can. Just my overall experience and a reality check.
I'm so glad you seem to have all the answers. Please do me a favor and tell the NYSIF to reduce my workers comp premium. After they've laughed you off the phone, give my commercial liability carrier a call. I'm sure those folks could use a good giggle, too.

The vibe I picked up from your post is that you believe everyone is out to screw u over. What I have found through the years is that the suspicious type of person is the one who will screw the contractor. Early on, this happened to us a couple of times until we wised up and learned the signs.

If a person is reasonable and honest, we extend our supplier discount to them *if* they've signed a contract with us and wish to pay the supplier directly provided they use the quantities we've furnished when it is something which calls for waste to be figured in.

100% profit? 1,000% mark up? You're 100,000% full of malarkey and anecdotal hogwash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 09:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post

My final note. Again, I know this business inside and out and when somebody underbids me I know for a fact the client is not getting what they think they are getting. I know my numbers and I know what needs to go into a job to bring it to the clients expectations. Believe me most people who rave about a cheap job that came out perfect really don't know what the unseen details are. The job appears good to the eye, but down the road the demons will eventually show themselves. Whether it's a door that is not longer working properly, a crack in a tile, etc..
Don't forget the guy who underbids by leaving out some things in his estimate, only to add them as the job progresses? Suddenly, his lower bid was higher than mine -- which included those items to begin with.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM

186 posts, read 244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Don't forget the guy who underbids by leaving out some things in his estimate, only to add them as the job progresses? Suddenly, his lower bid was higher than mine -- which included those items to begin with.

You are 100% correct. I can win every project if I played that dishonest game. I know exactly what to include at the bare minimum to get my foot into the door and what people will pay "extra" for without putting up too much of a fight.

Those so called "extras" are what I and any other experienced contractor would know that needs to be part of the project to bring it to completion. But the "incidentals" can be lost in the initial details, and the agreed upon scope of work may appear to be complete to the average consumer but they show up along the way as "extras" or "unknowns".

The dishonest low ball contractor has a captured audience and profits on human nature. What does the homeowner do at that point? they pay and eat the discomfort of the increased price.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:02 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
The best contractor is the one who always tells you to get all the quotes before you call him and then does not ask to know what the quotes are.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:27 PM

300 posts, read 553,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
I hate it when GC justify their insane cost because of their "overhead." That is your problem. Lower it. You want me to pay for your skill as well as for you to get there by paying your gas? that is an insult. You don't have gas to get to your job you, don't have job or a paycheck. GC want to run a business on 100% profit with no cash layout for running the business, and then they wonder why they go on so many "quotes" and don't get the contract. You people seem to think that the average person has no idea how much a nail is and how much you are marking up, just for getting the nail.

You people also seem to think that people don't know that you overbuy the supplies and walk off with it selling it on Craigslist saying, it is let over from a job. No, it is overbuy that you charged the customer for, and walked off with the excess product.
I have overbuy from a roofer who thought he is walking off with the excess. Nope. It is in my garage.

Every time I say to a GC; "you estimate what you need I will go get it," they walk away, "Oh, we don't do it that way." We have special deals we work with for cheaper cost. Oh really? and your price is still 1000% mark up. Oh, I forgot you want me to pay for your insurance, your gas, your workers, your truck insurance etc; your boat and your wifes Escalade.
GC act as though they are doing you a favor for showing up. No, you are getting paid and you are lucky to get a job. I asked a "tile contractor" to put little booties on over the shoes. He never showed up.
He knew he was going to have a problem from me if he did not come across with a professional job.
I like the GC who says, "What's your budget." You throw out a realistic number he never shows up. He just guaged how much he could soak you for. Sorry I have had nothing but hustlers, liars and cheats mostly over the years of owning a home, calling themselves "professional" GC.
I have about as much trust and respect for them as car salesman, and lawyers, which is none.
I dread every time I need a major replacement or repair on the house, because I know I have to go thought 10 hustlers before I find one sane one that is also a "professional."
You people seem mistake people for a cow looking to milk for as much as you can. Just my overall experience and a reality check.

It's funny because it seems that for some reason contractors have to defend themselves on city data but not in real life.. Most customers are fine with paying going rates. They get 5 bids and they all come within 10k and they pick who they want.

Getting work is usualy not a problem. Sure the industry gets slower in the winter but overall, most of the reputable contractors I know get 7/10 jobs...

They all charge

- 135k-175k for a second floor addition
- 55k-75k Extension
- 55k-70k Dormer
- 180-215k For whole House Renovaton
- 35k-50k kitchen

Sure I'm not specifying the owner supplied items and the actual size of the jobs but most client's pay the above prices because that's the going rate.

Maybe the problem isn't that contractor's are ripp off's... Maybe the problem is that city data is filled with cheap people who just troll online all day?

Old 04-11-2015, 09:32 PM

755 posts, read 1,081,031 times
Got my 2nd quote. And price is getting higher. 129K. Picked a general ad off one of those mailing pamphlets I receive once a week.

Not sure how negotiable these prices are, as I'd like to get a few more quotes before settling on one and asking for some references. Need to look for some financing if prices are going to stay in this range.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Got my 2nd quote. And price is getting higher. 129K. Picked a general ad off one of those mailing pamphlets I receive once a week.

Not sure how negotiable these prices are, as I'd like to get a few more quotes before settling on one and asking for some references. Need to look for some financing if prices are going to stay in this range.

Good luck with your project

you said " But at least they respond fast with pricing and ready to work"

so what did these illegal contractors quote you for this job?

Old 04-12-2015, 09:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
Quote:

Most legal contractors are illegal anyhow. they ask you as soon as they start so you want permits, it will slow things up, maybe taxes go up and you have to pay all fees so I recommend skipping them.

They move headers, do electrical, plumbing, even add big columns to house all without permits, engineers etc and they tell you they only use licensed folk, just did not bother getting you permits.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Most legal contractors are illegal anyhow. they ask you as soon as they start so you want permits, it will slow things up, maybe taxes go up and you have to pay all fees so I recommend skipping them.

They move headers, do electrical, plumbing, even add big columns to house all without permits, engineers etc and they tell you they only use licensed folk, just did not bother getting you permits.

You're correct lots of contractors will circumvent the permit process and place the homeowners and others at risk. But it's the homeowners responsibility to ensure their job is properly permitted. It's their property and it will only come back to bite them at time of sale, fire, injury etc.. So I will not give the homeowner a pass because of an unscrupulous contractor looking to circumvent the permit process in order to lower costs to entice the homeowner to hire them. It's a two-way street.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:13 PM

755 posts, read 1,081,031 times
Quote:

I never called them. I had on previous jobs when I was living in Queens. But I don't have neighbors here that speak Chinese to translate for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island