Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 18,271 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Hewlett where I lived on 1412 Noel Avenue and graduated Hewlett High School in 1973. After living there on and off after 1973 I finally moved to California for good back in 1979 and I'm glad I did, but I was wondering if there was anyone out there who remembers Hewlett back then. Remember the Purple Compressor, the teen hangout on Broadway near the Bamboo Inn that ran from 1970 - 1972? It was fun until the punks from Kappa Delta Nu took it over and turned into a greaser hangout. Remember the Jr. coffee shop and Records and Things, Eddie Bendock's store/head shop near the Hewlett train station? Remember Hamburger Local run by Mr. Wilson? Best hamburgers and milk shakes (the tin filled the glass 3 times over!) anywhere!!! Remember Mr. Heagle, the assistant principal at H.H.S. who sounded just like Jimmy Stewart and Mr. Cotoure, the geometry teacher who looked and sounded like Porky Pig? Remember Willie's Pizza at the Peninsula shopping center where all us high school punks would gather in the Summer wasting the night away? Remember Goldie's restaurant near the Gibson train station where the food was good, but it took an hour and a half to get it served? Remember Casa Tina also near the Gibson train station where you went for good Italian food when you didn't want to wait the hour and a half at Goldies? Remember the Windmill supermarket (where I worked in the kitchen in the Summer of 1972) on Broadway? Anyone out there in cyberland remember the golden daze of Hewlett?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,256 times
I likewise grew up in hewlett. The best schools in the nation. I moved to cal. In 1967 after i got out of the navy. I worked at the juniors on sat, night folding newspapers. Iloved willies pizza and casa tinas, great pizza. Do you remember mrs. F's riding academy on broadway in grant park, or shore's now burger king?

You are too young to remember milk's department store in woodmere, we used to buy our gym clothes there. Their son harvey milks is the man killed in san francisco .

Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Hewlett in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

The following may be of some help in your reminiscing ...

A map of the Hamlet of Hewlett in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Hewlett-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Hewlett is one of those many villages and hamlets were the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the community: places that have a "Hewlett, NY 11557" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Hewlett are in the Village of Valley Stream, the Village of Hewlett Harbor, the Village of Hewlett Bay Park and the Village of Hewlett Neck; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Hewlett that have a "Lynbrook, NY 11563" and "East Rockaway, NY 11518" mailing address.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,281 times
Hope this finds all of you well 'out there.' Hi Steve. Class of '73.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPearl View Post
I grew up in Hewlett where I lived on 1412 Noel Avenue and graduated Hewlett High School in 1973. After living there on and off after 1973 I finally moved to California for good back in 1979 and I'm glad I did, but I was wondering if there was anyone out there who remembers Hewlett back then. Remember the Purple Compressor, the teen hangout on Broadway near the Bamboo Inn that ran from 1970 - 1972? It was fun until the punks from Kappa Delta Nu took it over and turned into a greaser hangout. Remember the Jr. coffee shop and Records and Things, Eddie Bendock's store/head shop near the Hewlett train station? Remember Hamburger Local run by Mr. Wilson? Best hamburgers and milk shakes (the tin filled the glass 3 times over!) anywhere!!! Remember Mr. Heagle, the assistant principal at H.H.S. who sounded just like Jimmy Stewart and Mr. Cotoure, the geometry teacher who looked and sounded like Porky Pig? Remember Willie's Pizza at the Peninsula shopping center where all us high school punks would gather in the Summer wasting the night away? Remember Goldie's restaurant near the Gibson train station where the food was good, but it took an hour and a half to get it served? Remember Casa Tina also near the Gibson train station where you went for good Italian food when you didn't want to wait the hour and a half at Goldies? Remember the Windmill supermarket (where I worked in the kitchen in the Summer of 1972) on Broadway? Anyone out there in cyberland remember the golden daze of Hewlett?

Hey Steven,

I remember all those places too. I was your neighbor Jeff Powers who lived at 1416 Noel ave. those were truly great times and places. Remember playing touch football in the street with the Cascardi boys and Ellis. Mark the good humor man? I remember getting high in the alley behind the shopping center. I hope you are doing well!

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island