Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 09:12 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times

Advertisements

I still want Disney. And a Universal or MGM.
Ripley's Believe It Or Not attractions.
I will push to make these a reality once I am elected County Executive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 12:42 PM

852 posts, read 968,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

I think a lot of people are leaving. It's just myself and 1 other guy from high school. Maybe 5-6 people out of a class of 30 from college left here. Majority of people I knew from back in the day have all left. Those people that were just acquaintances I see are still living full time or on/off at their parents (no wonder why they are still here).

This is so true! Of all the people I grew up; friends; relatives; etc. literally, maybe three are still on LI. This is why the flood gates are wide open for immigrants- legal and illegal- with them, the population of LI is staying constant, despite a large exodus of long-time residents. It's not going to work out too good though, as there is also a large exodus of business and industry. As more of the high-paying NYC jobs go away, and tax revenues decline, wityh fewer people able to pay the high taxes, and when the real estate bubble bursts, and thus the high-paying union civil service jobs go away, it's really going to get interesting.

As for the recreation, yeah, they basically want to ensure that no matter what you do, you will be forced to spend a lot of money. Not to mention that doing just about anything on LI is such a hassle, that whatever you might want to do seems more like work than recreation. Where's the quality of life and all the benefits for all the money it costs to live there?

Old 03-05-2016, 06:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
This is so true! Of all the people I grew up; friends; relatives; etc. literally, maybe three are still on LI. This is why the flood gates are wide open for immigrants- legal and illegal- with them, the population of LI is staying constant, despite a large exodus of long-time residents. It's not going to work out too good though, as there is also a large exodus of business and industry. As more of the high-paying NYC jobs go away, and tax revenues decline, wityh fewer people able to pay the high taxes, and when the real estate bubble bursts, and thus the high-paying union civil service jobs go away, it's really going to get interesting.

As for the recreation, yeah, they basically want to ensure that no matter what you do, you will be forced to spend a lot of money. Not to mention that doing just about anything on LI is such a hassle, that whatever you might want to do seems more like work than recreation. Where's the quality of life and all the benefits for all the money it costs to live there?
Im sure this has been said, the areas in Nassau that are close to the train and and a good school district will always thrive. The illegal immigration doesn't matter to these neighborhoods since there are no apartments and the houses for rent are way more than a gov voucher will ever pay for. The low income areas and lots of Suffolk now that is a different story.

The high paying NYC jobs aren't going away nor are the civil service jobs. When we had the recession in 08 the civil service jobs all survived. Now there contracts are even better than before.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:58 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,141 times
/\ a NYC union Carpenter makes as much money but with much better benefits then mitsguy. Only difference is Mitsguy blew 150k to reach that salary.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:32 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ a NYC union Carpenter makes as much money but with much better benefits then mitsguy. Only difference is Mitsguy blew 150k to reach that salary.
Actually, I didn't spend a dime on college. I had a full academic scholarship for my undergraduate years. And when I went to MIT for my Masters, I had a research assistantship, which paid full tuition, plus a stipend. So you are wrong again.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:17 AM

852 posts, read 968,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post

The high paying NYC jobs aren't going away nor are the civil service jobs. When we had the recession in 08 the civil service jobs all survived. Now there contracts are even better than before.
That remains to be seen. I say they are. The number of medium and good-paying jobs that have gone away since the 90's is actually astounding. More and more businesses continue to leave NY. -and when the big crash finally comes, it would be ridiculous to somehow think that things are not going to go further south, with the economy already being held together with duct tape and everyone in so much debt. As for civil service, they're having trouble sustaining the pensions now- and when more people become unemployed, and the tax revenues drop, see what happens.... [When they're already having a hard time of it with some of the highest tax revenues in the entire country, now!]

Wait. It's coming. It won't be long.

And really- you're being overly optimistic about even the present. I have a friend in Farmingville who has been wanting to sell his house for years now, and who is waiting for "the recovery"- but fact is, he can't get more than 75% of it's pre-08 value (I keep telling him to sell anyway, because it's not going to get asny better). Ditto a house i used to live in, which sold pre 08 for c. $350K despite being right on the LIE. It then sold again c. 2014 for $258K.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:18 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,141 times
/\ well with that kind of evidence how can we not believe you!!

Old 03-06-2016, 12:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
That remains to be seen. I say they are. The number of medium and good-paying jobs that have gone away since the 90's is actually astounding. More and more businesses continue to leave NY. -and when the big crash finally comes, it would be ridiculous to somehow think that things are not going to go further south, with the economy already being held together with duct tape and everyone in so much debt. As for civil service, they're having trouble sustaining the pensions now- and when more people become unemployed, and the tax revenues drop, see what happens.... [When they're already having a hard time of it with some of the highest tax revenues in the entire country, now!]

Wait. It's coming. It won't be long.

And really- you're being overly optimistic about even the present. I have a friend in Farmingville who has been wanting to sell his house for years now, and who is waiting for "the recovery"- but fact is, he can't get more than 75% of it's pre-08 value (I keep telling him to sell anyway, because it's not going to get asny better). Ditto a house i used to live in, which sold pre 08 for c. $350K despite being right on the LIE. It then sold again c. 2014 for $258K.
Farmingville enough said. Not commutable to NYC and not in a well regarded school district. If you moved his house to Nassau county in a moderate school district it's sold in 30 days.

As far as pensions go the unions just keep selling out the future employees to cover the growing costs.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
You need to make double that median income to start living decently, even then you can't be care free if you are financially responsible and want to put some money aside for retirement

The best thing any idiot (and yes, you are an idiot like me for staying here) can do is graduate, get a good job, live with mom and dad while paying off all your loans and banking money from working a second job or OT, find a person who did the same and use the money save from living with mom and dad for 5 years or so to put a massive down payment on your house small 50 year old house so your total mortgage every month will be equal to what most of America is paying on a newer house with plenty of land and probably better schools and most definitely better infrastructure.
No you start small like you should. $350k house while you don't have kids in school yet while you work your first jobs and move up from there. I won't go into specifics - but it was not hardship and I know it's possible because we started that same way and now we're still comfortable scaling up. You don't start out needing double the median income unless you over-extend from the get-go. NOBODY SAID IT WAS EASY HERE - and it shouldn't be if the reward is high salaries that make living here just fine.

Just look at all the families doing extracurriculars - travel sports ($$$), hobbies involving $$$ gear, gym and club memberships, private instructors (swim, etc.), luxury cars, etc. You can see it's not impossible here - everything scales.

Quote:
I think a lot of people are leaving. It's just myself and 1 other guy from high school. Maybe 5-6 people out of a class of 30 from college left here. Majority of people I knew from back in the day have all left. Those people that were just acquaintances I see are still living full time or on/off at their parents (no wonder why they are still here).
Once again FB can show us a lot. MANY of my classmates are spread throughout the island, still. I don't know what "back in the day" means to you, but we're not 40 yet and many have kids in school systems here because I suppose they want them to be here.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-06-2016 at 06:53 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 04:58 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ well with that kind of evidence how can we not believe you!!
Ahhh mumbly Joe the king of ancedotal evidence who always "knows a guy who knows a guy". Blah blah blah. Does he ever give it a rest?

Last edited by peconic117; 03-07-2016 at 05:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island