Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:02 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
"I just have a bad taste for L.I. and the materialistic, ignorant way of life there. It is like a black hole people get sucked into. I know there are some nicer parts I just don't know where."

My Dad once told me...you know what its like when two of the main highway arteries on the Island are the L.I.E and the S.O.B.
If this is a region that loses narrow-minded folks such as yourself, I will not weep. There are 3 million people in this region, I am certain you actually know everyone's values, beliefs and communities...That is what gots lost on me with these ignorant generalized postings. Areas like Northport versus West Babylon versus Manorville versus Great Neck versus Sound Beach are night and day different in many respects. Just because you hated where you grew up doesn't speak for the entire region.

Best of luck to the OP, this terrible piece of hell on earth has been okay for me and my family (and I am not a native)....

Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM

128 posts, read 235,089 times
Ahhh come on...Turn on the news!
Its turning out all these school shooters are immigrated minorities or children of who cracked!
People simply just cant assimilates that quickly!
All those professors and experts are dead wrong, you have to keep an eye out whos moving in next door and 2 eyes on in your kids classrooms and that includeds the teachers !!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Relax Prof, the L.I.E and the S.O.B. comment is a long standing joke with us natives.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:10 PM

70 posts, read 251,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Relax Prof, the L.I.E and the S.O.B. comment is a long standing joke with us natives.
I never heard it before. It's Pretty funny

Old 02-15-2008, 01:53 PM

128 posts, read 235,089 times
Quote:
Perfect example of part of the problem with new people& culture clash!!! Proof it also has nothing to do with education.
I see Prof has quite a a couple chip's on the block hope he gets over it, I feel sorry for his neighbors

Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 PM

24 posts, read 127,997 times
Default Are we our Brothers keeper?

In most instances a higher level of education can be a leading indicator for higher income, better health, and subsequently a greater level of tolerance. You could argue that a greater level of education may help ameliorate the issues between recent (legal) immigrants and current US Citizens.

A case can be made that the real factor about tolerance is not formal education but each persons level of emotional I.Q.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
First things first, I do not like being called a liberal. I wasn't aware that not being frightened of black people, and perhaps welcoming them into your neighborhood was a left wing gimmick...

Moderator cut: I'm really sorry , but there were complaints about this link. It really is somewhat off topic

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-17-2008 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Wow, this is some thread. I do notice it seems to have the same people posting. I'm glad you all have found a common thread to share your thoughts and feelings on. While I certainly do not agree with most of the posting of the "left leaning" members of this forum, it's always good to be able to share with like minded people.

I always do find it humorous that people on this thread, that have similar viewpoints such as yours seem to be almost incapable of understanding or "allowing" people with the opposite viewpoints.
Its not about people not being allowed to have a viewpoint or express it, however its about just plain human decency. Its about people complaining when their neighborhood isn't 95% white anymore. Its about people thinking that if the demographics of their neighborhood even slightly change, that it shouldn't because the whites were there first.
Its about people trying to suggest any neighborhood that has any type of minority population must be a bad area. Thats what this is about.

To the original poster, despite the comments made by some posters here and there don't think most Long Islanders are a bunch of ignorant boobs that somehow have misconstrued Mississippi and Long island. Most aren't.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Considering the way neighborhoods have been traditionally segregated on LI, where are the affluent and middle class black communities? I think the area around the Church of the Advent in Westbury was affluent and Wheatly Heights was middle class, there must be others.

I wonder if LI is the way it is because most of us late 1950's early 1960's settlers came from immigrant enclaves in the city and Burroughs.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Considering the way neighborhoods have been traditionally segregated on LI, where are the affluent and middle class black communities? I think the area around the Church of the Advent in Westbury was affluent and Wheatly Heights was middle class, there must be others.

I wonder if LI is the way it is because most of us late 1950's early 1960's settlers came from immigrant enclaves in the city and Burroughs.
As of 2005 Lakeview had a median household income of $76,300, Wheatley Heights $88,700
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island