Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times

Advertisements

I don't know where "Lakeview" is. However, you can't take one place (like Lakeview) and use that as a marker for EVERY predominantly "black" or "minority" neighborhood.

"Wheatley Heights", according to Clark Street Kid's post is: 40.00% White, 48.41% African American, 0.30% Native American, 3.41% Asian, 4.15% from other races, and 3.73% from two or more races. Therefore, Wheatly Heights is NOT a predominantly "black" or "minority" neigborhood.

Yes, there are some hard working people in minority neighborhoods. Unfortunately, they are overshadowed by the disrespectful element that thinks it's OK to blast music at any time of the day or night, leave their properties looking like a junk yard, have no self respect, no courtesy or respect for anyone else. And let's not forget about the drug dealing, prostitution, gang activity, and other crime that goes on.

Moderator cut: please avoid provocative racist remarks

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-18-2008 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM

79 posts, read 320,309 times
who do you think the black people are buying the drugs from?

Old 02-18-2008, 02:40 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Well, I hear there's a guy in East Northport...

Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I don't know where "Lakeview" is. However, you can't take one place (like Lakeview) and use that as a marker for EVERY predominantly "black" or "minority" neighborhood.

"Wheatley Heights", according to Clark Street Kid's post is: 40.00% White, 48.41% African American, 0.30% Native American, 3.41% Asian, 4.15% from other races, and 3.73% from two or more races. Therefore, Wheatly Heights is NOT a predominantly "black" or "minority" neigborhood.

Yes, there are some hard working people in minority neighborhoods. Unfortunately, they are overshadowed by the disrespectful element that thinks it's OK to blast music at any time of the day or night, leave their properties looking like a junk yard, have no self respect, no courtesy or respect for anyone else. And let's not forget about the drug dealing, prostitution, gang activity, and other crime that goes on.

Moderator cut: please avoid provocative racist remarks
The 40.0% white in Clark street's post also includes Hispanics. the census 2000 data (as shown on the city data page) has it 34.6% Non-Hispanic White. 65% minority would classify as Majority Minority. Also that was the 2000 data, over the past 8 years the minority population of Long Island has increased, and its likely the case in Wheatley Heights as well. Yet despite your misguided comments about minority neighborhoods it remains a very nice, clean and extremely safe neighborhood.

If you take that a step further and look at those under 18 in the Census 2000 data

24.72% white
53.79% Black
12.99% Hispanic
4.42% two or more

Regarding Lakeview its in Nassau County. Now I never said all Predominately African American areas are like Lakeview. What I was simply referring to is your on hand comments which came across that you were trying to suggest all majority African American neighborhoods fit the descriptions in which you described when the truth of the matter is its not the case. Not to mention even in those areas that fit the description to fact of the matter is the vast majority of people in those neighborhoods aren't what you describe. The vast majority are good hard working people.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Well, I hear there's a guy in East Northport...

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
What I was simply referring to is your on hand comments which came across that you were trying to suggest all majority African American neighborhoods fit the descriptions in which you described when the truth of the matter is its not the case. Not to mention even in those areas that fit the description to fact of the matter is the vast majority of people in those neighborhoods aren't what you describe. The vast majority are good hard working people.
I wasn't singling out "African-American" neighborhoods.... I said predominantly "black" or "minority". I never singled out any race.

Please tell me where you're getting your information from ---ie: "the vast majority of people in those neighborhoods aren't what you describe. The vast majority are good hard working people"

Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
I wasn't singling out "African-American" neighborhoods.... I said predominantly "black" or "minority". I never singled out any race.

Please tell me where you're getting your information from ---ie: "the vast majority of people in those neighborhoods aren't what you describe. The vast majority are good hard working people"
Omigawd...seriously, you are splitting hairs..it is probably safe to assume the poster inferred African American after you posted the word "black"....c'mon, this is getting ridiculous.

ClarkStreet, great reference to the East Northport drug dealer...always liked your wit. To the moderator, how about we ship this to the General Forum on all things awkwardly about racism/bias?? I think it's time has passed...

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Omigawd...seriously, you are splitting hairs..it is probably safe to assume the poster inferred African American after you posted the word "black"....c'mon, this is getting ridiculous.

ClarkStreet, great reference to the East Northport drug dealer...always liked your wit. To the moderator, how about we ship this to the General Forum on all things awkwardly about racism/bias?? I think it's time has passed...

My point WAS that I didn't say ONLY "black" or whatever.... what I said was predominantly "black" or "minority", meaning just that..... I'm not going to get into a race war with you. What I posted is the truth, like it or not.

Tell me, would YOU pack up your family and live in a neighborhood like Wyandanch, Roosevelt, parts of Hempstead or Brentwood or CI??? If so, why? If not, why not? This question is directed at "Smash225" also.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:

The fact that i have known people who have come from some of the areas, and yes the areas may have some problems, but to say anything other than the vast majority of people who live in those areas aren't good hard working people is just either plain ignorance or racism.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
My point WAS that I didn't say ONLY "black" or whatever.... what I said was predominantly "black" or "minority", meaning just that..... I'm not going to get into a race war with you. What I posted is the truth, like it or not.

Tell me, would YOU pack up your family and live in a neighborhood like Wyandanch, Roosevelt, parts of Hempstead or Brentwood or CI??? If so, why? If not, why not? This question is directed at "Smash225" also.
First off while those areas have their problems, again the vast majority are good hard working people, and if you look at the crime rates in those areas they really aren't too far off the national average. Now would I want to live in those neighborhoods? No. Would I have any problems living in an area such as Wheatley Heights? Absolutely not

Too many times on this board people mention a neighborhood which has a high minority population and automatically start assuming that its a bad neighborhood or something along those lines without knowing anything about the area other than having a high minority population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island