Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Considering the way neighborhoods have been traditionally segregated on LI, where are the affluent and middle class black communities? I think the area around the Church of the Advent in Westbury was affluent and Wheatly Heights was middle class, there must be others

If I'm not mistaken, a great part of "Wheatly Heights" (north Wyandanch) is white.....

Anyway, here's the deal, like it or not, and this is fact.... Traditionally, "black" or "minority" neighborhoods got a bad name because of the drugs, crime, etc. If you ride through a traditionally black/minority neighborhood, you will see homes and property that are unkempt, the streets are dirty, you will hear people blasting music until all hours of the day and night, you will see a general sense of a lack of self-respect, a lack of consideration for others, etc. No, this doesn't hold true for every single person or home in those neighborhoods, but you get the idea.

Now, when a black/minority individual chooses to get an education and have a better life for him/herself and family, do you think they're going to choose to stay in a traditionally black/minority neighborhood? Or do you think they're going to move into an area that's nice, respectful, clean, and decent? Of course, they're going to choose to raise their family in a nice area.

I also see nothing wrong with ethnically diverse communities. To the contrary, I think it's much better and healthier to be around people of all races and ethnicities and cultures than to live in a lilly white bubble, giving yourself the impression that you're above everyone else.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
From Wikipedia...
Quote:
The racial makeup of the CDP was 40.00% White, 48.41% African American, 0.30% Native American, 3.41% Asian, 4.15% from other races, and 3.73% from two or more races.
About 3.4% of families and 4.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.6% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:26 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
What's the CDP?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 AM

24 posts, read 127,997 times
[quote=sean sean sean sean;2840714]First things first, I do not like being called a liberal. I wasn't aware that not being frightened of black people, and perhaps welcoming them into your neighborhood was a left wing gimmick...

Now to hopefully add some humor to this thread, perhaps new minority Long Islanders will find this website helpful in how to get along with your new white neighbors:

Moderator cut: off topic, sorry

I get the humor honestly, however I feel the website is offensive.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-17-2008 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 12:43 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
As a white person I can't find offense in something that does hit close to the mark. Now if I did drive a Prius and did believe I knew what's best for poor people and liked Michael Gondry movies and videos I might be a we bit offended.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
As a white person I can't find offense in something that does hit close to the mark. Now if I did drive a Prius and did believe I knew what's best for poor people and liked Michael Gondry movies and videos I might be a we bit offended.
Same here, although I'm sure I'm guilty of at least a few things on there! I never found the harm in laughing at stereotypes anyway, especially white people yuppie/hipster stereotypes. That page is definitely not representative of the type of white people that enjoy professional wrestling and electric blue Camaro IROCs.

Nancy - I think that link is completely relevant! A humorous guide to white yuppie culture, helpful to potential future minority residents of Long Island.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
IMHO rather than admonishing your new friends for what they are not doing for you
and the people you left behind when you moved up. what can you and I do to help
those left behind accomplish what you have accomplished?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-17-2008 at 06:04 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
IMHO rather than admonishing your new friends for what they are not doing for you
and the people you left behind when you moved up. what can you and I do to help
those left behind accomplish what you have accomplished?
Check the comments made by the original poster. I believe he said his experience in real life has been very good so far, but reading this board has him a little worried. Your post is confusing

Old 02-17-2008, 11:43 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
What's the CDP?
Wheatley Heights
as per the city-data page on it

Black 48.4%
White Non-Hispanic 34.6%
Hispanic 11.7%
Two or more 3.7%

Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
If I'm not mistaken, a great part of "Wheatly Heights" (north Wyandanch) is white.....

Anyway, here's the deal, like it or not, and this is fact.... Traditionally, "black" or "minority" neighborhoods got a bad name because of the drugs, crime, etc. If you ride through a traditionally black/minority neighborhood, you will see homes and property that are unkempt, the streets are dirty, you will hear people blasting music until all hours of the day and night, you will see a general sense of a lack of self-respect, a lack of consideration for others, etc. No, this doesn't hold true for every single person or home in those neighborhoods, but you get the idea.

Now, when a black/minority individual chooses to get an education and have a better life for him/herself and family, do you think they're going to choose to stay in a traditionally black/minority neighborhood? Or do you think they're going to move into an area that's nice, respectful, clean, and decent? Of course, they're going to choose to raise their family in a nice area.

I also see nothing wrong with ethnically diverse communities. To the contrary, I think it's much better and healthier to be around people of all races and ethnicities and cultures than to live in a lilly white bubble, giving yourself the impression that you're above everyone else.

I love how you cite that as a fact. First off while you do mention its not the case for every single person, you leave the impression that most are, when in fact the vast majority of people in those neighborhoods are good hard working people, who just don't have the $$ opportunities you or I had.

Secondly, you are coming across that you are trying to cite it as a fact that its the case for every minority neighborhood. Some neighborhoods yes (although even those again the vast majority are good hard working people) and some simply don't come close to the description you state. Lakeview and Wheatley Heights are prime examples of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island