Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:13 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times

Advertisements

The Sound is already being used for a pipeline.
irq-map1 (http://www.iroquois.com/new-Internet/igts/PipelineSvs/irq-map.html - broken link)

Well if Broadwater isn't acceptable to help Long Island's energy needs how about putting up wind farms?

EXTRA... - Long Island offshore wind farm scuttled; Cape Wind predicted this outcome 4 years ago
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/24/ny...=1&oref=slogin

So much for that idea for now. There's always coal.

Sooner or later Islander's are going to have to make some tough choices in regards to energy or they could end up with a choice forced on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 PM

6 posts, read 20,976 times
Kill it! We'll get no benefit. Broadwater will make a ton of money and they'll F*** up the beautiful sound. Kill it! Write a letter and send an e-mail!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Should this "object" really be placed in a gorgeous body of water? Should we really have a huge gas station in the middle of the sound? In between CT and LI? Do we really need to add a terrorist target to the map of LI or CT for that matter? Just as people wanted Shoreham shut down, people do not want Broadwater. To possibly save a few bucks a mth (if that is even true)?

It is a shame that our rivers, oceans, and streams have to be subjected to these environmental assaults. Must every aspect of beauty we have here be assaulted to make things cheaper, easier? I have read that when the LIPA stacks were built, certain sealife could not survive due to the warming of the ocean from the stacks. That is really disheartening to me.
There's some irony here considering that suburbia has already assaulted Long Island by land. Once where there were plains (which weren't natural to begin with), forests, rattlesnakes, clam beds, fields and clear running streams there are now... Long Islanders with their houses and roads!

Sorry, but I find it funny to be worried about the water after we already wrecked the land.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
What is the big picture though?

Big picture is we don't need to industrialize even the water of the sound...let's keep the beauty there and not ruin it even more than man already has.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Well if Broadwater isn't acceptable to help Long Island's energy needs how about putting up wind farms?
Now you're talking. I am up for wind farms.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
There's some irony here considering that suburbia has already assaulted Long Island by land. Once where there were plains (which weren't natural to begin with), forests, rattlesnakes, clam beds, fields and clear running streams there are now... Long Islanders with their houses and roads!

Sorry, but I find it funny to be worried about the water after we already wrecked the land.
But people HAVE to live somewhere. A floating gas tank doesn't HAVE to put in the middle of the sound.

Where are we supposed to live? Yes man has wrecked the land, that is what man unfortunately does everywhere (even in your wonderland, if not now, in time). You are ruining it as we speak for the future generations as well or does this not matter to you b/c it won't effect you?

And that's my point...let's leave the sound alone, it has had enough assaults by man that we don't need this obvious assault.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 AM

Glad2BHere, I just want to make sure that you know I wasn't pointing my previous post at you but at the situation that we Islander's, past and present, have created.

Quote:
But people HAVE to live somewhere. A floating gas tank doesn't HAVE to put in the middle of the sound.
Of course people have to live somewhere, but if you choose to live somewhere you also have to accept that you will effect the environment around you including those scenic vistas we all love. If Broadwater would benefit the people who choose to live on the Island, and considering it's lack of dry land, then into the Sound it should go.

Quote:
Where are we supposed to live? Yes man has wrecked the land, that is what man unfortunately does everywhere (even in your wonderland, if not now, in time). You are ruining it as we speak for the future generations as well or does this not matter to you b/c it won't effect you?
Actually, what effect would Broadwater have on the majority of people on the Island? If the major resistance to BW is because it might ruin someone's view of the Sound then that's not much of an effect at all. If Broadwater would benefit the people who choose to live on the Island, then into the Sound it should go.

I'll be honest, I really don't think much about future generations and I work more toward making things good for the current ones. At this point in time Long Island can't even figure out what to do with it's current generation of residents much less future generations. Let's face it, the Island isn't really set up to handle it's current population, it wasn't even set up to handle it's population in the 80's, so another option to fixing the energy problem would be to encourage people to leave until a supportable population is reached.
Carrying capacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And in regards to land, why not reclaim more of it from suburban sprawl and return it to wilderness. It would help both the land and the Sound.

Other energy projects...
Senator Schumer Website: Press Room (http://www.senate.gov/~schumer/SchumerWebsite/pressroom/press_releases/PR00652.html - broken link)
Keyspan Energy Development Corporation (Spagnoli Road Project) - Issues Ruling, June 21, 2002 - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
A new sheriff in town at LIPA: Chief executive KEVIN LAW begins his tenure hoping to spend less, lower consumption and address consumers' main gripe - high rates

Caithness Long Island Energy Center
http://lipc.org/library/articles/Caithness.pdf (broken link)
LIPA 07 A&R (http://www.pulp.tc/html/lipa_07_a_r_9.html - broken link)

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 02-22-2008 at 07:56 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
I do not see how a floating a barge to hold gas is doing anything bad or hurtful to the sound....
Again, metal structures on the sea floor are loved by sea life, a floating barge creating a shade spot over a large area will help fish... What bad points are there, a supposed terrorist attack on a barge that is going to kill how many people? terrorists want to kill you at the mall or building or plane and do lots of damage...not kill 50 people and ruin a barge, they want to hit areas you love, major symbols, icons..

I do hate the fact everyone runs behind these enviro bs beliefs of it's killing the island...volcanoes are far worse...how come the enviro org's aren't getting together and pooling there money into making some super catalytic converter to put over there vents? ? or cleaning up the forge and carmins river there so worried about? ? ? why?.... It's easier to accept your donations and keep them from finding a real job...
The simple answer to fix the forge river and carmns is to aerate them...or back fill it and be done with the nonsense you all keep sending in contributions for to keep some people fat and from working for real...
A few thousand feet of aerated hose and a good compressor and half the problems will be solved....but your right they truly are worried about the environment....please stop the bs

We could have had wind mills...but stuipid people complained it will ruin there view...My belief is hey that's fine, you can keep your view, and now you can pay my surcharges...Now because those people fought the windmills for so long, the price of windmills went up 5 fold making it out of reach for now...great thinking...

The poeple of long island are helping to kill the island and make it inhabitable by cost, they have no thought process, no brains, they can't see clearly let along look to how to make it better in the future...

Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 PM

Seems like we may have a decision tomorrow. Those of us who oppose it really lucked out that Spitzer got caught in his antics, b/c it seems David Patterson is expected to vote against it tomorrow....I am in my glory!

Sources: Gov. Paterson to oppose Broadwater Thursday -- Newsday -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzbroad0410,0,7799732.story - broken link)

Old 04-10-2008, 05:52 AM

245 posts, read 298,356 times
Default Don't think gas is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
What environmental damage?

Natrual gas would do what that it isn't already doing... You do know there are natural gas vents on the ocean floor..

What damage would it cause......
Did you really think the previous posts were concerned with the natural gas causing the problem? I'm not the brightest bulb, but I understood that there was something other than the gas that was the concern for these folks.

No, it is the effects of anchoring the platform in the sound, blighting the sound, and rending large swaths of the sound unfishable/unharvestable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island