Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:55 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times

Advertisements

You're coming from the Islip area, correct? Leave at 6:30 am and you'll have plenty of time.

Ignore these fools that never go anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:34 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Lubby, I just took a 9AM flight out of LGA last week. I have always hated driving to LGA, but with all of the construction, it is much worse. I took a cab and allowed for extra time. It wasn't all that bad, but glad that I scheduled some extra time. The lines for TSA security are hit or miss. Sometimes, it's fast as they let you go through the pre-check lines and other times, you have to go through the regular lines. This is where you need to give yourself some extra time, just in case.

Years ago, I decided that I am never going to pick up anyone from LGA ever again and with the new construction, I would never do it. But taking a cab or getting dropped off isn't that much worse than it usually is. If you will be checking any luggage, then allow for extra time for that too.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Taking a two plus hour trip to the airport and dealing with security at LGA for an hour or so is preferable to a layover in Baltimore how? Why are adults so afraid of making an easy connection on the same airline?

Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Taking a two plus hour trip to the airport and dealing with security at LGA for an hour or so is preferable to a layover in Baltimore how? Why are adults so afraid of making an easy connection on the same airline?
I rather battle traffic than deal with a layover. Missed connections, delayed flights due to myriad of things, lost luggage, loading & unloading, etc...take your pick

Old 08-18-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I rather battle traffic than deal with a layover. Missed connections, delayed flights due to myriad of things, lost luggage, loading & unloading, etc...take your pick

As one who has traveled extensively on business for a great number of years and is quite familiar with area airports and Long Island traffic, I would conclude that you have very little air travel experience.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:16 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
No one's afraid it's just I can get to Chicago in 2 hours versus 4-5 hours. and since it's a short trip I don't need to spend the whole day on a plane. As I said some of the flights had lay overs in Florida which to me is insane. BTW I plan to leave around 6:30 am.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So don't go to Chicago. Heard it's pretty rough these days anyway.
You can thank me later.
Been there 3 times didn't notice how rough it was LOL. But then again I wasn't in the rougher areas. I mean I wasn't in the projects like on the show Good times. My brother lives 45 minutes from the city in the suburbs.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:06 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
Now I have that theme song in my head. The beginning is the best part, the second time they sing "Good Times" at an almost impossibly high note.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
No one's afraid it's just I can get to Chicago in 2 hours versus 4-5 hours. and since it's a short trip I don't need to spend the whole day on a plane. As I said some of the flights had lay overs in Florida which to me is insane. BTW I plan to leave around 6:30 am.
Your location says Islip, which is pretty close to where MacArthur is, no? Leaving home there at 6:30 can get you on a 7:45 from ISP to Baltimore, change planes which will get you to Midway at 10:40. Leaving at the same time for LGA gets you on a 10:00 flight which gets to Midway at 11:30.

If you're only looking to count flight time, LGA is the clear winner. If you're looking at total door-to-door time (and why wouldn't you?) ISP wins by an hour. If you're looking at aggravation and expense, there's no comparison between dealing with the traffic, security and mobs at LaGuardia and the easy security of ISP and efficient transfers in BWI. I've done both.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Your location says Islip, which is pretty close to where MacArthur is, no? Leaving home there at 6:30 can get you on a 7:45 from ISP to Baltimore, change planes which will get you to Midway at 10:40. Leaving at the same time for LGA gets you on a 10:00 flight which gets to Midway at 11:30.

If you're only looking to count flight time, LGA is the clear winner. If you're looking at total door-to-door time (and why wouldn't you?) ISP wins by an hour. If you're looking at aggravation and expense, there's no comparison between dealing with the traffic, security and mobs at LaGuardia and the easy security of ISP and efficient transfers in BWI. I've done both.
I totally agree Macarthur is the better choice but since my brother Is paying for the flight he decided to go with LGA . I have flown out of Macarthur once and it's a breeze compared to the other 2 airports. Yes I am looking to count flight time. Next time I visit him I am going out of Macarthur and will deal with the lay over. BTW my DH is not happy about me flying out of LGA since Macarthur is 10 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island