Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:39 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
For this budget and some leg work you may get lucky finding a ' cosy' home in the five towns area. I wouldn't be too excited about this area due to the flooding issue and being in the flight path for JFK planes. Plus the schools are not the highest rated. If you look in this area be sure to go to the particular block at particular times of the day to assess the air traffic noise. Ask about flood insurance and basement flooding issue.
Hold on; I need to defend my school district. Agree about the planes, but only the Lawrence SD is mediocre. Hewlett-Woodmere is excellent. Most of Hewlett is not in a flood zone but it's a question you need to ask. The school zoning map is zany, so you always need to ask about it and independently verify. A home could be located in Hewlett or Woodmere but be zoned for Lynbrook (fine) or Lawrence (not comparable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:55 AM

19 posts, read 22,604 times
Thank you regarding the school zoning. I will investigate further.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,084,833 times
What about parts of Baldwin?

Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about parts of Baldwin?
That's what I was thinking. It has what she's looking for plus I think it would be a comfortable transition. To me it's like the in between of say, Rosedale and Merrick.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:52 AM

11 posts, read 12,725 times
Just curious, what made you purchase in Laurelton 10 years ago and what drew you to that area?

Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Hello.....I purchased because my husband grew in up in the neighborhood. My inlaws also live in the area and were able to help us with my children.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:08 PM

It's unfortunate that you perceive the neighborhood to be in decline. Laurelton was a master planned community built by Senator Reynolds who also built Long Beach. Many of the streets were built with green medians and much of the housing stock consists of large colonials, tudors, and craftsman style homes so I understand your comment about wanting to take your house with you.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's what I was thinking. It has what she's looking for plus I think it would be a comfortable transition. To me it's like the in between of say, Rosedale and Merrick.
She did mention diversity and of all the areas that were mentioned, Baldwin and Valley Stream would fit that qualification.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
She did mention diversity and of all the areas that were mentioned, Baldwin and Valley Stream would fit that qualification.
Agree they fit the diversity criteria but they are very different choices IMHO.

What people colloquially refer to as "Valley Stream" includes:

-Inc. village of Valley Stream
-Hamlet of North Valley Stream
-Hamlet of South Valley Stream

and four school districts (SD 14, 24, 13, 30) that do not necessarily correspond to any of those three entities above.

When people say "Baldwin" they are referring to:

-Hamlet of Baldwin

which mostly is inclusive of the Baldwin school district with some sections zones for Uniondale if I'm not mistaken.

Since you are coming from Queens, you should keep in mind an incorporated village includes an extra layer of government (with an extra village property tax!). A hamlet, which is an unincorporated area, receives all services through the township, which in this case would be the Town of Hempstead.

Also always remember that school districts do not necessarily correspond to the village or hamlet with their same name.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:45 PM

Thank you for your input. My husband and I weren't too keen on Valley Stream or Baldwin. My current town of Laurelton is extremely close to Valley Stream. We have friends who live in both towns and thought that there were other towns that we would investigate. I may fine tune my budget, once I see what is out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island