Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 10:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I grew up in East Meadow during the 1950s and 1960s. My mom (who didn't drive) would take me on the bus into Hempstead and we'd walk from there to the west (Garden City) end where the department stores were: Arnold Constable, A&S, and a third one whose name I can't recall. Our dentist's and pediatrician's offices were on Cathedral Avenue which if I recall was right on the edge of where Hempstead becomes Garden City. Jdawg is right, Hempstead was very nice during the 1950s and early 1960s.

However, the changes started in the late 1960s. In 1971 I went to work for Ford Motor Credit whose branch office was across from the bus station. There was a bakery inside the bus station that sold great rolls, danish, etc, but it was an office rule that if a woman went to the bus station 'shops', she had to take a second person with her. The guys could go into the bus station alone but not the gals. That was because too many women had been "accosted" (or worse) there. And that was during business hours, can't imagine what it was like there at night. We all left at 5pm and there was a security guy in the building's parking lot from 7 am to 7 pm which is when the gate was locked.
It's sad about the downturn of Hempstead. I had family there in the 50's - 70's. They left as it started to change over. They used to tell me how great it was to grow up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 12:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Mastic is a dumpster fire of a town. Invest and Mastic do not belong in the same sentence, unless you define "invest" by never actually gaining a penny.
Your loss then. I wished my pops bought in Bushwick back in the day, but he had the same poor business acumen as you do. But he didn't know that I was going to come in a decade later and gentrify the ish out of it.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Where do Asian families tend to buy, though? Good school districts. That's where Mastic fails. If the William Floyd School district improved, they might consider it. That's a long shot.
Or really they just buy and the school districts become better with time. But I'm not thinking Asians are going to be the ones doing the gentrifying. Was more so thinking the Williamsburg types. The Hamptons are so not their thing, but Mastic...now I got their attention.

How long is the LIRR ride from ENY to Mastic-Shirley?

Old 07-18-2018, 03:01 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Or really they just buy and the school districts become better with time. But I'm not thinking Asians are going to be the ones doing the gentrifying. Was more so thinking the Williamsburg types. The Hamptons are so not their thing, but Mastic...now I got their attention.

How long is the LIRR ride from ENY to Mastic-Shirley?
You are spot on. The Asians buy in cheap. Their children CHANGE the districts performance averages and then white families compete to buy in. All it takes is 20% to drastically improve a school district. Mastic just needs a draw and some really nice beach house rentals.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:03 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
You are spot on. The Asians buy in cheap. Their children CHANGE the districts performance averages and then white families compete to buy in. All it takes is 20% to drastically improve a school district. Mastic just needs a draw and some really nice beach house rentals.
More like the asians buy in already high performing districts and make them slightly better. Jericho, syosset, herricks, great neck to name a few all top notch Asian's snapping up properties like hot cakes. Plainview is seeing a influx of Asian buyers. I'm pretty sure three village has seen a big Asian increase also.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I'm always spot on. I should change my name from G-Dale to G-Spot.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
More like the asians buy in already high performing districts and make them slightly better. Jericho, syosset, herricks, great neck to name a few all top notch Asian's snapping up properties like hot cakes. Plainview is seeing a influx of Asian buyers. I'm pretty sure three village has seen a big Asian increase also.
And soon enough these Asian students will be working at Brookhaven, living in Mastic, and sending their kids to William Floyd. It's only a matter of time.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
Dude, there is no where to do college things in Stony Brook. Where do you walk to get your hungover breakfast on Sunday morning? nowhere. Late night pizza fix? Sorry, Station closes around 10 or 11 or whenever that guy feels like it. How about a place employees can go for a good happy hour? The Hilton? The bench?? Please. Anything else fun? How about an arcade maybe? Nope, nada. There is money to be made there. A lot. CAN YOU HEAR ME? THERE IS ONE BAR WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF A COLLEGE. HELLO.

In st. james you need walking traffic, because there is NO parking and nothing to bring anyone outside of the town in. You know what you need to bring people in? Alcohol. A bar. A brewery. Buy two store fronts on the same side of the street; make one a craft beer bar, the other pizza. Ok, it's st. james so maybe a bourgeoisie bar with fancy cocktails in copper cups and instead of pizza high-end fresh sandwiches and paninis, lots of avocado and other healthy things. Bring a rake for all the cash you'll have.
1) Stony Brook existed long before the university (or the USA) was even a thought.
2) Most SBU students are uner 21 years old. They shouldn't be drinking to begin with, and where is it written that the local community owes them a spot for hungover breakfast? There are already a few inStony Brook Village -- aka walking distance.
3) Happy hour -- a few off the top of my head: some dives, some fancy: the Bench, the Hilton, the Velvet Lounge, Pentimentos, Grandpa's Shed, The Counrty House, The Checkmate. ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE.
4) Late night pizza -- Dominos -- is right across the street from the SBU. We're still waiting on DP Dough, which has been held up by Brookhaven over some rather inane things.
5) An arcade. Funny you should mention that. The local video game store -- which had gaming contests and such -- was not supported by SBU students. It folded at the end of December. There once was an extensive arcade in the basement of the SU along with a rathskellar years ago.

Remember that SBU is also still very much a suitcase school. Come the weekend, anyone who lives relatively close to the school heads home. The students who remain are either foreign -- and there are a plethora of restaurants right here catering to them -- or don't have the money to travel home. Typical poor, broke college kids.

Lake Ave in St James is long in the tooth and waiting on the sewer upgrade. Once that happens, Lake Ave will be poised to take off. It's not a matter of it, but when.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Kind of like the LIRR but much less practical, right?
Summer party ferry to the Hamptons.
No sitting in cars, no dealing with 1 person hogging up 4 seats on the LIRR or sprawled on the Jitney.
Not very practical, but I wager there are people who would pay.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Ah yes, the mystical magical Asians. Their kids don’t change a school but the parents who badger teachers and staff do, and not always for the better. Most of the kids are just average but some momma tigers will harangue a teacher until their kid becomes just a bit above average. After a while the teachers just take the path of least resistance and lower their standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island