Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post

As for the Mastics though, that is another story. So many dirt cheap properties that can attract a herd of nomads with high volume potential. This is where you'll see true redeployment of equity. The Mastics are sitting on a gold mine and none of you Long Islanders even know it yet until after us city folks come in and exploit it.
This is what I was saying, which brought on some of the usual snark. It's out of the box thinking, and people who don't necessarily follow the crowd make the best investments (sometimes).

Look at the map and see how close it is to Westhampton, and the beaches are probably just as nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 04:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
Why immigrants? Brooklyn didn't start turning around because immigrants bought in. It turned around because whites bought in. The added diversity that young white professionals brought is what turned around Brooklyn. What you need first is businesses to buy in. When people see development. They see opportunity. Then individuals will buy in. But it's going to be hard to convince anyone to invest 30 years in Wyandach on a wish. You have to show them first.
White Hasidm ......... Some immigrants from isreal and Europe. The didn't care about the crime and boys in the hood. They bought cheap and sold high. All it takes is a vision and investment and somebody will be filthy rich. Then all of you will Monday morning quarterback

Old 07-16-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
People need to stay the F away from the North Fork.
Stop ruining lives over greed.
You don't want me coming over there Karl?

Old 07-16-2018, 04:50 PM

Mastic IS a gold mine. I was visiting a friend who bought a house over there on the water. Absolutely stunning view. Guys a custodian and he has this nice house on the water that he bought for a bag of peanuts. I looked around and said "wow these people don't understand what a goldmine they are sitting on". All it takes is a few Asian families buying in and then it will skyrocket. G Dale is spot on....... Buy low . Sell high. I remember when patchouge was a dump.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:05 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,964,302 times
Mastic is NOT a gold mine. I guarantee your custodian friend has no kids and doesn’t value a school system....which sucks by the way.

And too many dirtbags as residents. But sure you have a great view of the water....just sit back and relax knowing you’re the king of the hill in a crap town that has not improved in 30 years.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:57 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Pretty much....although basements are not common and when they exist it's usually a walkout basement. And new construction here is on a postage stamp.

There are some older houses (1980s era) in highly desirable locations that are selling for $700K and up (way up) and the teardown phenomenon is starting here. It's like western Nassau in 2004 all over again.
Interesting. No doubt due to demand the builders are cheaping out. I'm seeing in the Atlanta suburbs as well now. Better to get a 10 year old home with good bones and build quality than brand new construction.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:58 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Mastic is NOT a gold mine. I guarantee your custodian friend has no kids and doesn’t value a school system....which sucks by the way.

And too many dirtbags as residents. But sure you have a great view of the water....just sit back and relax knowing you’re the king of the hill in a crap town that has not improved in 30 years.
And wait until the next Sandy when the riff raff will loot it during a bug out.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,964,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
G Dale is spot on....... Buy low . Sell high. I remember when patchouge was a dump.
G Dale is NOT spot on. You'll buy low and you'll sell low [possibly lower] in a declining area that shows no signs of rejuvenation or gentrification, despite how many times you say it out loud. Patchogue has a lot more going for it than Mastic ever will.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:26 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,370 times
Patchogue started revitalization a while ago. Houses are still cheap. The Mastics are a good investment if you turn it into a grow house, otherwise forget it.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
G-Dale is always spot on. Follow me now, otherwise it'll be too late. Don't let a little riff raff scare you away. The schools aren't going to know what to do with all the new revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island